Prai

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
(mum writes)

I just happened to tune in to the Beauty Channel before retiring last night and caught a bit of the Prai show. I met Cathy once at the Beauty Bash and she seemed nice enough. However, I do wish she would stop making really derogatory, and hurtful remarks, just to sell some products. I've heard her say before about turkey wattle, turkey neck, bat wings etc. but on this occasion she was talking about her wrinkle pen for the upper lip. Such remarks as telling us that the lines are caused by "smoking, drinking through a straw and too much sun". She described these lines as looking like "purse strings" and that they make a person look "really mean". Nothing was mentioned that it is also a perfectly natural aging related phenomenon, or that illness can aggravate them too. She was backed up with stupid comments from button-mouthed Jackie Kabler (they were being rude, so I can be too.) who said "oh they are horrible." Obviously, you've realised by now that I do have an issue with lines around my mouth - and I have never smoked in my life! My neck is fine and, luckily, the rest of me isn't too bad! After slaving over a computer for years, and bringing up children, I was medically retired and I have been extremely unwell for many years now and it has taken its toll on my skin. However, I refuse to be put down and made to feel that I should wear a paper bag over my head and ring a bell just so that these insensitive women can sell more of their slop; which reviewers say doesn't work anyway! Incidentally, Cathy purports to still be in her 40's. Well, I don't know what mirror she's using but it must be that one from the fairy tale which can make a frog look like a princess. I know this sounds harsh but it made me feel extremely upset and angry. Surely it would be better to simply say that this product is suitable if we have concerns about upper lip lines. I have vowed never to buy another Prai product ever! To coin a phrase, I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

They always bang on about smoking lines, and I do not have them but I have always smoked. As you say, moth, no reference to natural ageing, but I think they love to bang on about smoking to show how superior and clean living they are, in the same way that a lot of them say "a cocktail, non alcoholic of course" as if having a drink is something to be ashamed of! I would rather have some lines and a good time!!!!!! I cannot imagine JK ever letting her hair down myself. To be fair to AY, she always refers to the effect of ill health on the skin. I have only ever bought one prai product but I shall keep an eye out for this old bat to hear what she has to say!

It's just another sales technique IMO. I don't class it as any different to the reps for make-up brands making out that the products are suitable for Rosacea. They are all there to convince us that we can't live without the product they happen to be showing at that particular moment. Cathy might be a bit more graphic that the rest sometimes, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I know Cathy annoys a lot of people on here, but I really like her.
She knows her products, she's passionate about what she does, and she does a hell of a lot for various animal charities without mentioning it every 5 minutes.
I'd rather listen to her than some of the others to be perfectly honest.

Cathy is 51 a few months older than me. (she might be 52 now).

I fell for the BPOTM last month and bought the Prai neck product because I get lines across my chest from having boobs and being a side-sleeper and I have to say I'm impressed after only 2 weeks. I probably wouldn't have bought it but for the fact she mentioned these V shaped lines specifically so I was swayed by the spiel and bought it. I find all beauty "Bland Ambassadors" prey on our insecurities.

It is classic QVC I am afraid. They do not empower Woman. Indeed quite the opposite. They want their viewers to fell in-secure, self-conscious, fat (Spanx, Diet Chef), ugly, wisomed and generally in need of rescuing by some hero product or three. All cleverly designed to get the viewer reaching for the phone and parting with their hard cash in order to feel normal/accepted/desirable in the world. It is disgusting and should be stopped. Kerrching QVC!

They always bang on about smoking lines, and I do not have them but I have always smoked. As you say, moth, no reference to natural ageing, but I think they love to bang on about smoking to show how superior and clean living they are, in the same way that a lot of them say "a cocktail, non alcoholic of course" as if having a drink is something to be ashamed of! I would rather have some lines and a good time!!!!!!

As an ex-smoker of 32 years and a light, very occasional drinker, I can testify to the fact that it's perfectly possible to have a good time without smoking and drinking!

I like Cathy, it doesn't personally offend me when she says these things. I don't think she means any harm though I can understand how it may upset some.
Had to admit that I giggled when I read "button-mouthed Jackie Kabler" though. :mysmilie_17:

Latest posts

Back