Presenter home try-outs

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You could criticise all sorts of things that QVC spend their money on, maybe some staff are overpaid, maybe Will stayed in an expensive hotel when he went filming abroad, maybe the buyers claim too much in expenses when they go to the foreign jewellery fairs, the list is endless. It's their business and if they decide to spend their money in certain ways it's their choice and whether we buy is our choice.

I'm not critisizing I'm stating a fact, QVC will not take a hit on anything or dip into their profits. Of course they can run their business as they see fit, if people pay their over inflated prices, again that's up to them. I'm not going round in circles with you, people know they're the dearest place to shop, and they're dearest for a reason, but it's no skin off my nose because I don't shop with them now, haven't for a while, when everything I Googled was significantly lower in price with free p&p elsewhere, it was time to stop, but each to their own.

You could criticise all sorts of things that QVC spend their money on, maybe some staff are overpaid, maybe Will stayed in an expensive hotel when he went filming abroad, maybe the buyers claim too much in expenses when they go to the foreign jewellery fairs, the list is endless. It's their business and if they decide to spend their money in certain ways it's their choice and whether we buy is our choice.

Whether it's freebies at the Beauty Bash, on air samples used in demonstrations, air-time on Sky, Freeveiw, free telephone numbers or presenter perks they're all factored into the pricing structure one way or another by the vendor or QVC. I can't imagine many businesses that wouldn't.

Yep, pricing and the p & p we pay for at Q, and over at the BBC its our tv license - not much difference is there.

I have over the years heard various people call and give their opinion having been given products to test and its always positive. Perricone is one i remember.If you were on the panel and you hated the product I wonder if they would put you on air.

Jilly is presenting today's TSV Kenwood mixer and says she's had hers at home for over a week and its fantastic. I have visions of presenters with homes full of gadgets and extra bits for mixers and hoovers .One of the things that puts me off buying gadgets is the storage of the extra bits .Once put in the cupboard they stay there!

I have over the years heard various people call and give their opinion having been given products to test and its always positive. Perricone is one i remember.If you were on the panel and you hated the product I wonder if they would put you on air.

Jilly is presenting today's TSV Kenwood mixer and says she's had hers at home for over a week and its fantastic. I have visions of presenters with homes full of gadgets and extra bits for mixers and hoovers .One of the things that puts me off buying gadgets is the storage of the extra bits .Once put in the cupboard they stay there!

Just imagine if it was Jill Franks!!!:mysmilie_15: "Well this is a fantastic machine, it does so much. My cleanser has been testing for me and just loves it.":tongue:

maybe they borrow the larger items like mixers etc...all over e bay are ex demo models sold either by qvc or the presenters

maybe they borrow the larger items like mixers etc...all over e bay are ex demo models sold either by qvc or the presenters

No they've actually said on air, over the years by different presenters, that they're allowed to keep what they're given to demonstrate and how lucky they are, from Dysons/Vitamix to food/beauty products. Were on eBay does it state the demos of certain items are ex QVC or presenters? Does it actually say that? I'm not insinuating anything honestly, I'm just genuinely intrigued.

I've done product testing for Ayton-moon (sp?) and the Beauty Bible and others and the deal generally is that keeping the products is the pay-off for your time testing and writing a review or completing a questionnaire. But this is "independent" testing so they want your honest opinions warts and all.

Back to Q; the cost of sending out a few items is probably less than hiring actors to comment as they do in infomercials.

What I'd love to see is video of them opening the box, assembly (where needed) and use along the lines of the ITV series "Big Box Little Box", sadly Q would edit out the hilarious negative moments. (Loved the house-share lads using the spray tan booth and six-pack vests).

I'm not bothered what "freebies" the presenters get. I'd honestly rather they had clapped eyes on what they're selling ahead of time.

As for freebies well that's not strictly the case, QVC will have to pay employers contributions on any freebies over £50 as well as picking up the cost of the freebies in the first place, although that will be at cost. And the presenters will have to pay tax, probably at 40%, on the RRP of the freebie if they're allowed to keep them. There may be some tax loop hole I'm not aware of but I don't think there is.

Quite frankly I'd rather not have to road test a flipping Kenwood mixer for two weeks thank you very much.

They get the item for free to keep, they've said it on air in the past, am I typing French here? 99% of what QVC sell is considerably dearer than anywhere else, the 1% cheaper are beauty deals, so if the extra money isn't to offset the "freebies" the morning show and lunchtime show comp at over £500 per week, the food demos, both eaten and wasted, the opened beauty products, the list goes on, then it must be because they ripping the QVC customer off, so either way, I'm glad I don't give them a penny of my money anymore, so like I say, it doesn't bother me in the slightest it's just an observation. Everyone has an opinion hey.

Last edited:
I'm not bothered what "freebies" the presenters get. I'd honestly rather they had clapped eyes on what they're selling ahead of time. As for freebies well that's not strictly the case, QVC will have to pay employers contributions on any freebies over £50 as well as picking up the cost of the freebies in the first place, although that will be at cost. And the presenters will have to pay tax, probably at 40%, on the RRP of the freebie if they're allowed to keep them. There may be some tax loop hole I'm not aware of but I don't think there is.

Quite frankly I'd rather not have to road test a flipping Kenwood mixer for two weeks thank you very much.

They have mentioned on numerous occasions about the products on air being on a 'trolley', and not being able to choose what to wear from 'the rail', so they do see the 'stuff' before the show - BUT they still stumble and rely on the Gallery for info they don't have on the crib cards.

They get the item for free to keep, they've said it on air in the past, am I typing French here? 99% of what QVC sell is considerably dearer than anywhere else, the 1% cheaper are beauty deals, so if the extra money isn't to offset the "freebies" the morning show and lunchtime show comp at over £500 per week, the food demos, both eaten and wasted, the opened beauty products, the list goes on, then it must be because they ripping the QVC customer off, so either way, I'm glad I don't give them a penny of my money anymore, so like I say, it doesn't bother me in the slightest it's just an observation. Everyone has an opinion hey.

I'm genuinely interested - if you don't buy from QVC, what's the attraction for you in watching? Do you still ever get tempted?

I'm trying a spot of aversion therapy (tallying up how much I've spent on QVC since I began shopping with them) and kicking myself I didn't do it sooner. All the things I could have bought with the money I could have saved by not hitting the buy button, or phoning up (no tapping the app as I don't do smartphones)! For me, I'm still having to be really disciplined about doing my homework rather than purchasing impulsively. I'm getting better at not getting sucked in, and this site certainly helps me pause for thought before jumping to those phones... But I find I'm better able to avoid temptation by not watching QVC at all - so would miss the fun of some fun of the comedy makeup/eyebrows/hair/outfit, or the nonsense gushing from various presenters mouths.

I'm genuinely interested - if you don't buy from QVC, what's the attraction for you in watching? Do you still ever get tempted?

I'm trying a spot of aversion therapy (tallying up how much I've spent on QVC since I began shopping with them) and kicking myself I didn't do it sooner. All the things I could have bought with the money I could have saved by not hitting the buy button, or phoning up (no tapping the app as I don't do smartphones)! For me, I'm still having to be really disciplined about doing my homework rather than purchasing impulsively. I'm getting better at not getting sucked in, and this site certainly helps me pause for thought before jumping to those phones... But I find I'm better able to avoid temptation by not watching QVC at all - so would miss the fun of some fun of the comedy makeup/eyebrows/hair/outfit, or the nonsense gushing from various presenters mouths.

Well, seen as though you're genuinely interested I'll tell you, I was a shopper with QVC from day one, up until about eighteen months ago when I realised that when I Googled the item I was interested in on QVC, it came up significantly cheaper, a lot cheaper, elsewhere. So now I watch now and again and if I see something I'm interested in, I watch the demo (well I say demo, it's mostly the presenter talking) and then I'll Google it, then go off and buy it from anywhere else because it's always cheaper with free p&p, hope that explanation has satisfied your curiosity?

I'm not critisizing I'm stating a fact, QVC will not take a hit on anything or dip into their profits. Of course they can run their business as they see fit, if people pay their over inflated prices, again that's up to them. I'm not going round in circles with you, people know they're the dearest place to shop, and they're dearest for a reason, but it's no skin off my nose because I don't shop with them now, haven't for a while, when everything I Googled was significantly lower in price with free p&p elsewhere, it was time to stop, but each to their own.

QVC will spend money to make money just like other businesses do. I assume they believe the morning show competition will attract viewers who might spend and it wouldn't take many extra purchases to cover the cost of the prize in which case it would be covered by the margin on their additional sales not an increase in prices. They probably also think that the glowing reviews from presenters who have tried items will increase sales which in turn will boost their profits. As for their prices I agree that often they aren't the cheapest but sometimes there are bargains to be had.

Well, seen as though you're genuinely interested I'll tell you, I was a shopper with QVC from day one, up until about eighteen months ago when I realised that when I Googled the item I was interested in on QVC, it came up significantly cheaper, a lot cheaper, elsewhere. So now I watch now and again and if I see something I'm interested in, I watch the demo (well I say demo, it's mostly the presenter talking) and then I'll Google it, then go off and buy it from anywhere else because it's always cheaper with free p&p, hope that explanation has satisfied your curiosity?

Thanks, shopperholic. That's a really sensible approach - I admire your discipline, and I'll try to take that approach. I agree with you about the quality of the demos. Love or hate Ideal World, when they do a demo they tend to be much more thorough.

QVC will spend money to make money just like other businesses do. I assume they believe the morning show competition will attract viewers who might spend and it wouldn't take many extra purchases to cover the cost of the prize in which case it would be covered by the margin on their additional sales not an increase in prices. They probably also think that the glowing reviews from presenters who have tried items will increase sales which in turn will boost their profits. As for their prices I agree that often they aren't the cheapest but sometimes there are bargains to be had.

Yes you've got to speculate to accumulate but today at 2.30 pm, there have been three customer panelists (that I know of) have rang up about the TSV (goodness knows why because they all love it, obviously) and Jilly Halliday has been given one (don't know why because she only spoke about it for twenty seconds) so that comes to over one thousand pounds, on ONE day, without the added cost of the comps, the food demos, the £50 Kipling bag who is now minus a monkey and the list goes on, so yes there's speculate to accumulate and there's taking advantage of the QVC customer. I've just bought my TSV from ISME, who incidentally don't give them away to people to try for free, and got my TSV for £220 and can pay next year. I also liked the look of the Kipling Haru bag, so instead of paying £47 and £3.95 p&p on QVC, I watched the demo, then bought it from Amazon for £28 free p&p. Anyway, we'll agree to disagree and I apologise for thinking about the QVC customer who is blatantly getting ripped off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back