Qvc cost of living winners and losers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I bought the thick reflector foil that’s specifically designed to put behind radiators years ago. It’s fixed onto on plastic rods that are suspended on the radiator’s brackets but they’re undetectable. I think it was featured on QVC 🤔 but it is available elsewhere.

Luckily my fuel bills aren’t too bad, although my heating’s been off since early April and won’t be put on until October at the earliest. I’m also on a new fixed tarif which helps. Even when I put the heating on, the thermostat is only on 19.5 on the coldest days. I guess that’s one good thing about not really feeling the cold. I’m still being economical though and doubt the tumble dryer will be put on this winter.
We fixed ours last year until next August. It went up from £50 to £81 as they said it would be going up,we are still over £150 in credit.

I pay my energy bills quarterly by direct debit but only pay the amount on the bill for the quarter, rather than their taking a fixed amount each month. I’ve got a smart meter which is handy because I can keep my eye on my daily costs, which I am doing. I was offered another fixed tariff and so opted for that, rather than the variable rate. It means that my daily costs have gone up a small amount but, when the next price hike kicks in, my bills will remain the same with regards to the standing charge and the price for each unit of gas and electricity used.

Hopefully Liz Truss will announce something in the next few days to help to address the difficulties that some families are/will be facing, especially as winter approaches. I just count myself fortunate that I can afford to pay my bills ….. so far anyway.

I cannot stand stewed, casseroled or slow-cooked red meat, even in pies. Even when we were kids and Mum made delicious lamb stew in the pressure cooker, she always gave me a bowl of it without meat. Obviously the meat goodness was in the gravy so it wasn’t for vegetarian reasons.

I’m ok with chicken pies and casseroles though, very odd.

I watched a bit of a beauty hour last night and Jemma Forte was guesting with Jilly peddling a set of four MB handcreams for only £28.00 plus P&P. Jillanne was bleating on about how they were so "affordable"...you could order two or more sets for you "gift cupboard"...they'd make great "new school terms gifts for teachers". Jemma looked genuinely embarrassed.

I have met Boris a few times. His brother lives next door to a family member. He is a really nice guy. Very friendly and talks to everyone. Never voted Tory ever never will but he's far nicer than Red Ken and Diane abbott. I am a labour voter and was a Labour Party member for many years.

Our electric has just gone up from £119 per month to £151. Not as bad as some but I am still devising a plan to save money. Please don't anyone despair over all of this. Come on here and I'm sure all of us will have tips to help others.

CC
Do you have an all electric house heating. water etc?

Years ago I tried those foil radiator things but they would stay stuck and left an awful mess plus I wasn’t convinced about them
I said to me other half yesterday, if the foil worked , then you would think the manufacturer's would have added something into the design of radiators after all the years the idea has been around.

Evri bag now ;)
No, the customer goes to them or some they travel to the customer and hand over, no shipping involved.

The handbag man, he just collects them, spent £100,000 on second hand Birkin it is rare because it is black. The Rolex man flew over from Dublin to inspect the watch before buying, and wore it on the flight home.

I had some with the clips that you hanged from the back of the rads. Never made a difference. I have 2 lots of insulation in the loft, double glazing throughout but this is a cold house. Its victorian that was built as railway cottages many years ago. One family lived upstairs and another downstairs. All the people that lived here serviced the railway. They also grew food on the tiny strip of land. When I moved here the locals told me to go to the library and read his book. It was about all the characters even the ones that lived in my house. Totally different life to now.

Yes, Boffy, I have loft insulation and new PVC windows, but my flat gets that damp feel when raining a lot and in winter. We many years had insulation put in the cavity walls, but usual council picked the cheapest company who put these white balls in which I was told should have then sealed with some liquid stuff. So when it is windy, all you see everywhere is these tiny white balls on the ground. So more than half must have been blown out over the years.

Do you have an all electric house heating. water etc?
Yes, no gas in the house, it's an old stone cottage. However, we do have a log burner (cost of logs is a lot) which we will be using a lot more and that heats water. We'll have to see how it pans out but I can't be paying hundreds of pounds a month for electric because I just don't have it. More jumpers will need to be bought!

CC

Yes, Boffy, I have loft insulation and new PVC windows, but my flat gets that damp feel when raining a lot and in winter. We many years had insulation put in the cavity walls, but usual council picked the cheapest company who put these white balls in which I was told should have then sealed with some liquid stuff. So when it is windy, all you see everywhere is these tiny white balls on the ground. So more than half must have been blown out over the years.
We have cavity wall insulation and lots of loft insulation have a conservatory that we had one of the insulated roofs installed on a couple of years ago.. We have some more rolls of loft to be put down now it's cooling off. We live in a bungalow as well which makes a difference as no upstairs to heat.
We had the place rendered as well during lockdown which is supposed to help.
We paid £124 for a builders bag of kiln dried hardwood and we also got some coffee logs and the pressed woodshaving logs.

My last month gas and electric bill was £87.00 for both in total. But I have a smart meter so its accurate. No central heating on because we have had a hot summer thank god. Hot water goes on for one hour a day and the thermostat has been very low because the water has been heated partly because of the hot summer.. I unplug everything if its not being used. I have three TV's but 2 are small one big. The big one is only on when the kids come they love gaming and You tube.

Latest posts

Back