Rob

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Rob is legend and, I hope he doesn't mind me saying this, he is somewhat wasted on shopping TV — not that he doesn't do it very well but when he goes 'off piste' you really get a sense of his talent.

He has a real warm charisma to him and the way he tells stories, and a disarming rapport with guests (well, those who aren't stiff automatons addled with nerves cos they're on telly — been a few of those on Shop on TV and I do feel for Rob when he jokes and they just …don't react/get it).

The early IW ITV shows were a great showcase for Rob. Sadly it felt like the IW production team weren't quite so keen with the anecdotes, viewer engagement, shout outs, Twitter plugs, and other non-product stuff as he toned it down (and would often stop himself/hear in his ear to go back to extolling the virtues of whatever he was being paid - handsomely I hope - to flog).

Still, whenever he got to do a memorabilia show we'd see more of (what felt like, he is an actor after all) the real Rob.

He'd be great as a presenter on something like The One Show where one minute he's introducing something deathly serious then 4 minutes later he's interviewing Cheryl Baker about guinea pigs or something random.

Or Channel 5 ought to give Susan Calman a few months off — dear god, please — and get Rob cavorting around Britain in a camper van/canoe/hotdog truck/whatever for one of those lighthearted travelogue series she's endlessly doing.
That's showbiz I suppose. Fine lines between ending up an A list star or getting nowhere near. Luck, right place right time, not what you know who you know etc.

One of these people who could do a great job doing what the likes of Norton and Ross do on mainstream television. Unfortunately, those gigs are dead men’s shoes jobs, and he is on shopping television and not them. I’ve always said that he is for me, one of the top three shopping television presenters (Him, Lavers and Halliday) I have ever seen. Clearly, he is not everybody’s cup of tea, but he is streets ahead of the rest in terms of his approach, his manner, his wit, and in providing an informed choice in general to viewers than some of the ex-auction channels gang are.

Rob is legend and, I hope he doesn't mind me saying this, he is somewhat wasted on shopping TV — not that he doesn't do it very well but when he goes 'off piste' you really get a sense of his talent.

He has a real warm charisma to him and the way he tells stories, and a disarming rapport with guests (well, those who aren't stiff automatons addled with nerves cos they're on telly — been a few of those on Shop on TV and I do feel for Rob when he jokes and they just …don't react/get it).

The early IW ITV shows were a great showcase for Rob. Sadly it felt like the IW production team weren't quite so keen with the anecdotes, viewer engagement, shout outs, Twitter plugs, and other non-product stuff as he toned it down (and would often stop himself/hear in his ear to go back to extolling the virtues of whatever he was being paid - handsomely I hope - to flog).

Still, whenever he got to do a memorabilia show we'd see more of (what felt like, he is an actor after all) the real Rob.

He'd be great as a presenter on something like The One Show where one minute he's introducing something deathly serious then 4 minutes later he's interviewing Cheryl Baker about guinea pigs or something random.

Or Channel 5 ought to give Susan Calman a few months off — dear god, please — and get Rob cavorting around Britain in a camper van/canoe/hotdog truck/whatever for one of those lighthearted travelogue series she's endlessly doing.
Sorry, no, even I can't see @RobLocke as a One Show host on the couch, nor a travelogue participant.

Possibly as an afternoon TV quiz show host in the Omid Djalili style.

I'd like to see him actually in some TV/film acting jobs in the UK!

Good afternoon Rob, your continued unprofessionalism has raised it's head by calling me "stupid".
Peter Simon may be a bit odd but his style gets things sold and is very entertaining.So seeing yourself slouching in whatever chair is available night after night and laughing at your own "jokes" is tedious and not condusive to entertainment in the wee small hours.
Bring back Leeds Pete! He's been entertaining me since Junior Showtime!
So why do you continue watching Rob in the middle of the night?

You're very kind. I'm flushed, though that could be because I live on the 5th floor and the lifts are broken.

Yes, my approach to shopping telly was rather misunderstood on IW. Senior management got it. Middle management did not.

I love your show ideas! I think the last one should be called 'Camping About with Rob'. 😆

Did you ever see the bit I did for my show UNLOCKED, which was in a similar vain? I visited the British Lawnmower museum:

Thanks again for your words of encouragement. They really do mean a lot to sensitive thesbians like me.

You're very kind. I'm flushed, though that could be because I live on the 5th floor and the lifts are broken.

Yes, my approach to shopping telly was rather misunderstood on IW. Senior management got it. Middle management did not.

I love your show ideas! I think the last one should be called 'Camping About with Rob'. 😆

Did you ever see the bit I did for my show UNLOCKED, which was in a similar vain? I visited the British Lawnmower museum:

Thanks again for your words of encouragement. They really do mean a lot to sensitive thesbians like me.
Did you donate anything to the lawnmower museum?!

Some of your seed perhaps? Fnarr.

There's something about your presentation style that reminds me of Jonathan Pie, Roger Mellie-type characters. Y'know, like Gervais' actor character Andy Milllman in Extras, you'd be great as a Roger Allam 'world-weary', career-focused, ever-disappointed media type, battling the forces of management, media, PC/wokeness, etc.? Something more modern, but like 'Toast of London' or faded actor Richard Thorncroft in 'Mindhorn'.

Have you ever pitched or been offered pilots in something like that?

I'd buy that for a dollar. Love my media. 😁

When Rob says with an 'e' I always think back to the BBC schools programme Look and Read and the Magic 'e' song sung by the legendary Derek Griffiths:

Misunderstood or not. Shopping Telly presenters live and breath by bringing the sales in. Middle management will love the most unconventional presenter, as long as they hit and exceed the targets. Hence why IW3 love PS. If you don't, they won't get it, no matter how "funny" you are.

Misunderstood or not. Shopping Telly presenters live and breath by bringing the sales in. Middle management will love the most unconventional presenter, as long as they hit and exceed the targets. Hence why IW3 love PS. If you don't, they won't get it, no matter how "funny" you are.
that does explain a lot and somehow thought it was the case

Yep. Would love to see their sales figures and how they all compare and what sort of volumes/turnover they're shifting.

Presumably these reprobates do the job and shift stock, but wonder if it's to a certain demographic of 'older', non tech savvy generation; the same trusting sorts who fall for 'authority' scams, or the types who have their favourite presenters, signed photos/albums and are loyal to the point of fandom?

So why do you continue watching Rob in the middle of the night?
Nigel does appear to have a Rob Locke obsession, doesn't he? And Nigel must enjoy watching Mr L on some level, even if it is a perverse kind that makes him come rushing to this site to make personal attacks, or silly ones about insignificant and inconsequential hand movements.

How do I know this is an obsession? Well obviously I can't say for sure, but it's VERY telling that Nigel hasn't started any threads in the Gemporia section attacking their presenters for sitting down on the job. Which they mostly do 99% of the time. Nor has Nigel started any threads attacking QVC presenters, or Ideal World presenters, for sitting down when presenting jewellery or watches. Even Peter Simon has been known to sit down when flogging tatty Chinese watches. Fancy!

You even see various presenters on different channels perched on stools when doing fashion shows! And I hate to break it to you Nigel, but selly telly presenters have also been known to sit on beds when flogging mattresses and bedding! It's downright IMMORAL! But nary a word from you. I wonder why? 😉

Hello there. No obsession just object to unprofessional people on telly thinking they’re vaguely funny and referring to a mediocre career in the States and wearing scruffy Ill fitting clothing while at it!

Hello there. No obsession just object to unprofessional people on telly thinking they’re vaguely funny and referring to a mediocre career in the States and wearing scruffy Ill fitting clothing while at it!
You do realise that this comment only reinforces my previous post? Other selly telly presenters do exactly what you have accused Mr Locke of doing, day in and day out, but you only appear to have a pop at him. And then state why that is exactly so.

You really cannot help yourself. It's utterly fabulous to see 😏

Latest posts

Back