QVC's pricing on some brands now ridiculous.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loujareth

Registered Shopper
Having a short-ish random browse on QVCUK.com last night on all sections, nothing new for me but started to look up old favourite brands and realised how the prices are far beyond my budget now. Granted I've been a customer for around 18 years and prices have crept up considerably but relatively, I feel far too much. I know it's the way things are nowadays which is horrid but I cannot be the only one who's standard of living is not the same as it used to be. QVC are pricing themselves beyond old regulars budgets IMO, the faves that spring to mind for me who's prices shock are Elemis, Molton Brown, (scandalous prices for the size) Kipling, Birkenstock and Yankee Candle. There are other brands who's prices have increased less drastically but they are few and far between. I know prices for certain brands have been discussed on this forum before but seeing it as a collective last night really opened my eyes.

not just qvc prices for non essentials are quite high these days. food prices are not too bad because we have discount food shops like lidl forcing prices down. qvc target audience seems to be for people who want to spend more just for the sake of it. the £200 roast and the mince pies are a case in point

I think they are leaning more & more on the 'easy payments'.The total price still has got to be paid but how many times do they say it's only £xx's to get this home, hoping that you like something so much you will cough up the following 2/3 months( or spend a small fortune to send it back). I am sure people will buy when they just wouldn't go into a shop and spend as much as they will on QVC.I have virtually stopped buying as even with the Benefit Beauty Pick of the Month, 2 mascaras I really like I have thought 'do I need both'? even at a good price.Am I being super mean?!

I think they are leaning more & more on the 'easy payments'.The total price still has got to be paid but how many times do they say it's only £xx's to get this home, hoping that you like something so much you will cough up the following 2/3 months( or spend a small fortune to send it back). I am sure people will buy when they just wouldn't go into a shop and spend as much as they will on QVC.I have virtually stopped buying as even with the Benefit Beauty Pick of the Month, 2 mascaras I really like I have thought 'do I need both'? even at a good price.Am I being super mean?!

no your being intelligent

I don't care what QVC say, its the brand which sets the prices. Molton Brown QVC begged them to come back so they can price how they want and what they will even let QVC sell.

Last week I was looking at a beauty product(sorry can't think what it was at the moment), anyway so QVC price then postage you save a whole 5P cheaper than buying else where on the high street.

Sure QVC "rely" on people buying on easy pay not bothering to send things back under the mbg and then not even noticing the subsequent easy pays being taken (sorry not very elegantly written, tired !)

Don't forget the endless auto delivery problems, where they don't seem to have enough stock to fill orders.

On FB today someone complaining their money had been taken for the auto delivery of the last Australian Bodycare TSV. But CS do not know when they will have to stock to send out to her. So much for not taking the payment until the ship.

I've been shopping with qvc for around 15/18?? years.I remember the days of getting a OTO double northern nights flannel for around £21.I remember when the most expensive Kipling bags were around £60 ish and the "norm" was around £35.And I'm not talking these prices were 15/18 years ago.....ok some while ago,but not that long.I even had my engagement ring repaired and bought myself a gold diamonique ring to replace it,at 2 instalments of £25!!!

I have thought for the past few years now that QVC are the "Harrods" of the shopping tv world.I don't actually watch any other shopping tv channels.....but I know something does take my fancy and I price compare with other places....QVC 's prices are astronomical.that said,people out there are still buying from them......they must be....how else are they still in business otherwise? And all the time people are buying,they will continue.

I agree the seem to be able to soften the blow with easypay.I also think lots of people hanker after things that they couldn't afford to go out and buy either because they haven't got the money upfront to buy it,or it seems a selfish extravagance.....easypay does help people get over that.I think in some respects easypay is a good thing.....I think if you have an iron,hoover,mattress etc that needs replacing,easypay does help you out.....but then I've never bought an item like this from QVC,so I don't know how the prices compare.

But yes generally,QVC are there to sell us luxuries...things we could live without....things we didn't even know we wanted.....but boy do they rack up the price of it!

I wish I could have all the money back I'd spent in my twenty years of being a QVC customer, I could pay off our mortgage, I wouldn't even mind, 99% of it I didn't even need. I'm not blaming anyone but myself, but I'm pleased to say I just watch now and again for a laugh or to see what's out there but yes I'm pleased to say "my name is Shopperholic and I'm free of QVC" :mysmilie_14:

I agree re the easy pays being used to sell ridiculously expensive things. Watched for 2 minutes today and AY was flogging the Elemis PCMC 100 ml anniversary special which is priced at £99 plus p&p - she said something like "get it home for just £24.99 and try it for 30 days, if you don't like it send it back". But if you do like it, you will still be paying another £75.

I have bought far too much make up over the years and it is a waste of money as I only have one face. The problem is that you get sucked into buying the sets (because it's so much better value (you think) if not cheaper, to get the thing you like in a 6 piece set than on its own) and then you start stock piling.

So glad I have organised my stock pile. Yesterday got tempted to buy the Doll10 duo of the concealer - looked at the two in my stash and thought, "no, i really don't need it".

I agree that some items are far more expensive on QVC - Kipling is one very good example. I love Kipling but I nearly always buy from Amazon now. Their prices are better than TSVs and OTOs. Some items are still good value - I have just bought a pair of Emus which were cheaper on QVC than from Emu or Amazon even including postage. Elemis items are often expensive but the sets and TSVs are good value if you need and use all the items or enough of them to make it worthwhile. But I agree - sets, ADs and EPs entice us to spend more and more....

Talking of easy pay, yes its really handy if something is expensive(99% of QVC products these days), but a trend I spotted on their Facebook page. No matter what the beauty TSV if its not on easy pay endless complaining, I would have bought if it was on EP, Why is this not on EP, Its not fair I want this but its not on EP? Then if they are on EP, I bought 2,3,4 etc. So it seems most of these customers and I am sure loads more not on FB have quite a lot on EP.

It reminds me of when I was a child and even a teen catalogues. People could not afford they bought paid more than if they had the money to buy in a shop, but the payments split up so they could afford. QVC is the Freemans of the 21st century.

QVC is the Freemans of the 21st century.
Really like that Donna, such a good observation, QVC has sort of evolved into that now. Maybe that's how QVC justify the inflated prices, invisible interest which is also piled on to the P&P charges I reckon.

if somethings not on easy pay then its likely to cost more money. i dont understand a tsv costing £35 and people are begging for easy pays so they can afford it. they are buying 6 things a day so need the total price split up to afford it all. how many beauty kits do you need for one set of chops....mental

I agree re the easy pays being used to sell ridiculously expensive things. Watched for 2 minutes today and AY was flogging the Elemis PCMC 100 ml anniversary special which is priced at £99 plus p&p - she said something like "get it home for just £24.99 and try it for 30 days, if you don't like it send it back". But if you do like it, you will still be paying another £75.

I have bought far too much make up over the years and it is a waste of money as I only have one face. The problem is that you get sucked into buying the sets (because it's so much better value (you think) if not cheaper, to get the thing you like in a 6 piece set than on its own) and then you start stock piling.

So glad I have organised my stock pile. Yesterday got tempted to buy the Doll10 duo of the concealer - looked at the two in my stash and thought, "no, i really don't need it".

But if you want to buy PCMC, and I appreciate some people really don't, then the £99 plus postage 100ml option is actually a good price. Expensive as a single item granted but with 50ml at £70 or more these days then £29 more for double the quantity?! Its how I buy my PCMC whenever possible.

It's still worth shopping around though - you can find the 100ml PCMC in various places for around the £80 mark, most of them are P&P free as well. Otherwise I've found that they've priced me out of their market for many things I used to like. I also dislike the fact that some of what I'd buy is only sold in duos or kits. It puts the price up and would mean me spending on items I have no need of and would be wasted.

I have always liked the Peony handkerchief vase and was seriously tempted yesterday when it was on. My son did some Googling, I think that's what you call it!, and he found out that Tesco sell one that is almost identical for £10! One of the reviews even mentions how a well known TV shopping channel sells a similar thing for so much more. It makes me wonder how manufacturers justify it when their product costs so much more than another that is 99% the same?

And is it just me or have prices gone up just in time for the Christmas "gifting" period? (Cynical? Me?)

one of the forum members mentioned that the handkerchief vase could be bought for £10 from homebase. i have at least two. look really nice with the peony flowers aut delivery

They definitely sell to people who can't get out for whatever reason, and I think these people are a large part of their target (?captive) audience. As for the easy-pays well, look at IW - they don't even give the correct easy pay-price on occasions. How many times have I seen easy-pay figures on screen where the odd pence are knocked off by the presenter - in the same way as the p & p charge gets "overlooked" being mentioned at all. OK, it's shown on screen, but the presenter should still say it.

It's still worth shopping around though - you can find the 100ml PCMC in various places for around the £80 mark, most of them are P&P free as well. Otherwise I've found that they've priced me out of their market for many things I used to like. I also dislike the fact that some of what I'd buy is only sold in duos or kits. It puts the price up and would mean me spending on items I have no need of and would be wasted.

I have always liked the Peony handkerchief vase and was seriously tempted yesterday when it was on. My son did some Googling, I think that's what you call it!, and he found out that Tesco sell one that is almost identical for £10! One of the reviews even mentions how a well known TV shopping channel sells a similar thing for so much more. It makes me wonder how manufacturers justify it when their product costs so much more than another that is 99% the same?

And is it just me or have prices gone up just in time for the Christmas "gifting" period? (Cynical? Me?)

I've never seen PCMC for £80. That's the price of the 50 ml now. It was £70 but its up £80 I've now realised. I've bought in the past at £90 or £95. I've seen it lower on eBay but I don't buy from there. Not after I had a gone off L'Occitane footcream. A genuine mistake by the seller. She had just had it forever and not used it. And then there are the fakes. Nope I'd rather pay another tenner and get the real deal.

I've never seen PCMC for £80. That's the price of the 50 ml now. It was £70 but its up £80 I've now realised. I've bought in the past at £90 or £95. I've seen it lower on eBay but I don't buy from there. Not after I had a gone off L'Occitane footcream. A genuine mistake by the seller. She had just had it forever and not used it. And then there are the fakes. Nope I'd rather pay another tenner and get the real deal.

it would be good if elemis put this 100ml size in an air tight jar like the alpha h rejuvinating cream. you just twist it up

Latest posts

Back