Rediscovering High Street

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

they use those prams as battering rams, especially in primark! and of course the poor kids are grizzling. being dragged/pushed round a busy town centre at shopping bag level isn't going to be a baby's idea of fun.
Never mind it being just the shops- you cant get a coffee in peace now as the cafes seem to have become baby and toddler groups and dont get me started on libraries!

I went to the High St today too.

Only went in one shop, Holland & Barret for crystalised ginger, bought 1 bag for £3-69 and then a 2nd one for ONE PENNY.

And I didn't pay any postage either!

Nobody I know understands my love of crystalised ginger! - love preserved stem ginger as well, a jar is my Christmas treat.:tongue:

Nobody I know understands my love of crystalised ginger! - love preserved stem ginger as well, a jar is my Christmas treat.:tongue:

I once bought a jar of sliced ginger in an acidic liquid, I think. It was delicious, but when I went back for more the delicatessant (sp?) could no longer get it.

I go early to the dreaded high street, always take my Mp3 player to drown out the yowling babies and the general shouting, I have done most of my Christmas shopping as I started in October and I have managed to get some lovely stuff as this was before the general tat and novelty stuff started clogging up the shops. Not got a thing from Q

Just been out to the dreaded high street first time in months. Returned with a kipling bag from tk maxx and 4 pairs of glasses from the pound shop. Wanted a few other everyday items but unfortunately a lot of the shelves are filled with christmas tat and I'll have to go back in january. I went into debenhams but was overwelhmed by the choice. I was amazed at the number of empty shops, the recession is biting deep.

I was in Superdrug recently - I bought three Gosh items (foundation, BB cream & lipgloss) and three Accessorise eyeshadows - it's all on 3 for 2 as someone else said - there I am standing at the till and suddenly realise that all I'm going to save is 2 x £3.95, the price of the eyeshadows, so quickly I jumped in and said would she mind putting the three shadows thru as a separate item, so that I would save 1 x £7.95 on the Gosh items, and 1 x £3.95 on the shadows..she'd already done that - now can you see Q being so customer-friendly..?! Am also liking the new Superdrug range, buggered if I can remember the name but in green packaging - hot cloth cleanser is great - they do day & night cream, eye cream and radiance day cream - they were all on at about £2.99 half price offer - I'm stocked up!

I like Superdrug too, they have new things in regularly (unlike Q) and it suits my budget (unlike Q) and they have good offers (unlike Q). We have a big one in town and I use it to stock up with cleanser, cotton wool and bath products. I buy cheapish bubble bath and then decant it into pretty glass bottles I bought in Dunelm, it looks very posh on the side of my bath especially when I choose shades of pink and lilac.

Last edited:
We had to go to Eltham yesterday and came home via Bugsby's Way in Woolwich/Charlton (?) and spent nearly three hours browsing round various shops.

Next had a branch of Costa Coffee in it - not a yummy mummy in sight - where we were given free festive muffins to try with our coffees. Boots and Matalan had 3 for 2 offers, TKMaxx had Lola Rose scarves, Kipling and Osprey bags (bought a black leather crossbody for £39) and there was even a Maplin with the teeny tiny plastic bags of bits to keep OH happy!

No hard sell, no P&P, no parking charges, no tea bags, biscuits or paracetamol in the handbag. It was quite a pleasurable experience.

Osprey make gorgeous handbags. They wear really well too. I've got a couple. One was from TMaxx.

I have a couple of Osprey bags, both bought from TK Maxx and I think they`re really good quality. I fall out with bags, buy them, use them now and again and return to my old suede satchel bag I bought long before satchels came back into fashion. It holds everything, has that well worn patina and after many years of use it sort of moulds to my body, I bought it years ago from a craft fair in Wales and a woman was hand making leather bags made from saddle leather and suede satchel bags with leather straps and brass buckles. I`m sorry I never bought one of her leather bags too because she hand carved designs onto them and I was recently on holiday and saw similar handmade bags well into the hundreds of pounds.
I have just one Lulu Guinness bag, still in its dust bag, still unused, its a large grey tweed one with leather straps and all the front of it is embroidered, bought from LG not QVC several years ago. Same with Radley, have one or two barely used but ironically the one place I`ve never bought a bag from is QVC.

Osprey make gorgeous handbags. They wear really well too. I've got a couple. One was from TMaxx.

It's a lovely bag - beautiful grainy leather that shouldn't mark too easily and I particularly like the light coloured lining that means I'll be able to find things easily at the bottom!

Who'd have thought I could be so easily pleased - is this what reaching 60 is all about?

It's a lovely bag - beautiful grainy leather that shouldn't mark too easily and I particularly like the light coloured lining that means I'll be able to find things easily at the bottom!

Who'd have thought I could be so easily pleased - is this what reaching 60 is all about?

Has it got a special bus pass pocket then?

I just wanted to say that I wore my new MUA cosmetics to work today and wow, you couldn't tell it was something costing £1. Eye shadow doesn't crease unlike more expensive Laura Geller that I use but did have a minor transfer on the lid which was fine. Blusher - less is more. Money very well spent.

Very happy with my kipling messenger bag with matching wallet bought yesterday from tkmaxx for 25gbp. My first kipling had never heard of them until I joined this website. I also bought one from amazon but that went straight back though a good price

TK Maxx has tons of toiletries in atm I bought some Pecksniffs handwash & lotion on a little stand for 10e & a fab Park's(soy wax) candle for under a tenner.

Beautiful selection of silk & wool scarves,leather handbags & purses,homewares galore & lots of toys & childrens clothing etc

Leighton Denny,Nails Inc & OPI polishes are at a fraction of QVC prices :clapping:

How is it everyone finds Kipling at T K Maxx??!! I got a Reth for £20 some months back but the only ones I normally see (if any at all) are models I've never seen on tv and I don't like them...I'd love to get my hands on some cheapos!

I've never seen any Kiplings at TKMaxx Busymum. And I've gone through those handbags thoroughly lol. I used to see the odd KVZ and B Makowsky but that's it for QVC brands. Perhaps they get different stocks in different stores.

Just looked up my new kipling bag. It is a KIPLING IRIYA. There are new ones on the bay but they cost at least £10 more+ pp than I paid. Must have been my lucky day in tkmaxx - I usually only buy toiletries there

High Street

Our TK /Maxx is a weird one. It is a big store, but there never seems to be much in it. Yesterday though, they had loads of Emu Hi Stinger boots at €100 in three colours. But I was looking for Bearpaw and the selection was bad - last year they had row upon row of them. Threre was a great selection of bags, but no Kipling, I have never seem Kipling in there. The toiletries section was a joke yesterday, nothing exciting at all. As I have said before, we do not have good shops in Galway and I still miss the big stores and variety of the shops in the UK.

Latest posts

Back