Ruth Langsford's New Parka

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Grizelda

ShoppingTelly Supporter
I liked it very much, but when the large busted model came out wearing it, I changed my mind. The drawstring around the waist was just under her bust and she had drawn it tight. It did not look good, so I won't risk buying it. The parka must be designed for women with high waists and flatter chests. Shame, because it seemed well made. I didn't care for the pleather jacket. The length was good, but under the lights the material looked very plasticky. If she would show a genuine leather jacket next to hers, the difference would hit you straight away. The tsv jumpers looked nice. I wonder if they pill after a couple of wearings. One customer said she'd bought four of them, not all for herself, I assume, but as gifts for friends.

I liked it very much, but when the large busted model came out wearing it, I changed my mind. The drawstring around the waist was just under her bust and she had drawn it tight. It did not look good, so I won't risk buying it. The parka must be designed for women with high waists and flatter chests. Shame, because it seemed well made. I didn't care for the pleather jacket. The length was good, but under the lights the material looked very plasticky. If she would show a genuine leather jacket next to hers, the difference would hit you straight away. The tsv jumpers looked nice. I wonder if they pill after a couple of wearings. One customer said she'd bought four of them, not all for herself, I assume, but as gifts for friends.
What struck me about the parka was the price £99 + postage come on !!! That’s what I’d expect to pay for a full winter one! The jumpers - despite not being a fan of anything with a V neck ( for some reason I think they look frumpy) I did quite like it . My preference was the dark blue, the emerald and the raspberry. The camel looked really good on model Ali. Did not get the love for the violet , imo that was frumpy and then some! Finally I think it’s unforgivable not to show every colour way being modelled , obviously they had to for the Tsv but the amount of times they pick out one or two ( if you’re lucky) of something is nobody’s business. I realise that they want to cram as many different items per hour, but surely it would’ve been more useful showing a split screen of the models wearing all the different colour ways than messing around with that “competition “ between the two of them regarding who’s colour was selling better! Ideal World can do it, so why can’t they? Especially when every garment IW are selling isn’t a considered purchase - rant over!

I think they put the model in the colour or pattern which is not selling. Clothes sell faster when worn by presenters and BA. I also think of violet and lilac as “old lady” colours but they are very fashionable at moment. Personally, I did not like the model Ali in the camel, it seemed to wash her out. I would not buy it anyway because it is made in China. Almost impossible to not buy from China but when I can, I do.

If it was the one that’s her “statement piece” that’s been featured in between shows, I liked it until I saw the price. 😳 If she has another parka then I’m not aware of it as I don’t watch her shows.

The drawstring on the parka is too high for the waist, which might be okay for a short person but then the lower bit wouldn't look right as it would be longer and out of balance. Not pulling the drawstring in so much wouldn't highlight it. Looks nice but too expensive definitely.

I do wonder who now buys this stuff. Frumpy is the 'word'. Ruth in her 'look' of sweater, jeans and boots really doesn't suit someone of middle age, and smacks of trying too hard to be 'on trend'. The sweaters can be found in stores from supermarkets to Bon Marche - and cheaper.

Aside from the S to 3XL, the sizing of her collection only goes up in ONE INCH bust increments ! that's just stupid. I remember complaining about Ronni Nicole fashion doing exactly the same. The biker jacket size 8 is 38" bust and the size 20 is 43.5 " no accounting for broad backs, heavy upper arms, or large busts ! so much for her 'listening' to viewers.

Repeat after me faux leather,animal print,faux leather,animal print,that’s all I’ve heard coming from old helmet 🪖 hairs mouth.
Give it a rest and stop ordering containers full of this Junk QVC🤣
Or get her a new set of crayons 🖍 to play with ⛑

According to the measurements on one of Ruth's biker style jackets I'd need a size 16. If you could see me, I'm 5ft 2in and drown in some size 12's. With other garments in her range I'd need an XS. For God's sake be consistent. She can't be though as the garments are made in China in no doubt different factories that work by different measurements. It's obvious by the fact that some items are S/M/L and others are 10/12/14. Big hint here Ruth, if you want to be a brand, be consistent and ensure customers trust your sizing so they know what they are buying. I buy a jacket? I need a size 16. I buy one of those jumpers? I need an XS. Outcome? I don't buy.

CC

And the sleeves candycane. The models might be wearing xs but if the sleeves are right on them they’d be flapping around the thighs on us shorter folk. Danni Minogue does properly proportioned petites. I window shop but haven’t risked the hassle.

And the sleeves candycane. The models might be wearing xs but if the sleeves are right on them they’d be flapping around the thighs on us shorter folk. Danni Minogue does properly proportioned petites. I window shop but haven’t risked the hassle.
Ha ha, yes I forgot about the sleeves, always miles too long. I tell you what, if Danni Minogue actually designed things in nice fabrics and for the qvc audience which is probably 40 plus for clothes, she'd sell miles more. I'm around her size (except round the middle!) but I don't want to wear frumpy poly clothes that Ruthie rejected in crap patterns you'd find on Blackburn/Fleetwood market. I knew I should have studied fashion back in the day :D

CC

One of the presenters the other day mentioned that the short model Claire is a size 20/22 - that accounts for why she cannot do up most of the tight jackets she's sent out wearing. Yet when someone yells across the studio to her "you're a High Street size 16 /18 Claire ??" she always nods. Now the truth is out. Sleeves are always too long on her, tops are too tight across the bust, trousers are tight across the thighs and she really doesn't suit wearing trainers - her ankles are too thick. Stylists must really hate her shape for allowing her to look ridiculous in QVC clothing.

I love the model Claire but she is too big for all the clothes on QVC. Same as models Sophia and Natasha. The problem is that if you're going to use plus size models (hate that but what do I say? Larger size than me?) you have to be really honest on sizes and put forward what is going to look good on a bigger girl. Then the stylists have to put it out there. If I'm being appalling then just tell me.

No its just being honest. I really think that stylists have a problem dressing plus size models. Maybe there are two sample sizes, one to fit the slimmest models probably a 10, and the other to (try) and cater for the larger girls, no doubt an XL. I'm a large lady - with a broad back so my 44 bust only looks good in a garment sized at around 50" bust size, but my slim legs give the illusion that I'm slimmer than I am. That said, when I see one of the plus size models in QVC fashion, I honestly think "I don't want to look like that". I know I wont look like a size 10/12/14 model, but sadly the truth is that clothes on display do look better and that's how we would all like to look like.

I bought a waterproof mac from Sesalt and they do short, average and tall fittings. I am not mega tall at 5'8 but the sleeves were longer, the waist is longer which I really need and obviously the coat. It's a nice fit. I dont love all the details as they can be a bit cheap. M&S more premium anoraks are far far superior and you can get some good deals. Will keep it as its a gorgeous print bit like a William Morris wallpaper pattern but its not perfect. Its thin and they sell it as a coat.

I won't try Ruth's clothes again. I've got a 43 inch bust, so I would be an XL or more in one of her jackets (but that's guess work because I bought a jacket in my 'size' and it was unwearable.) The rest of my body is a size M. I bought her long jeans, which were OK as for length, but bunched up around the crotch area. I liked the parka, except for the high drawstring waist (out of proportion to the length of the garment). The jumpers looked fine, except for the colours, especially the violet and the light blue. I'd have to wear a blouse with a collar underneath the jumper, though, which might look funny unless the blouse was really silky. PS Jackie is getting more and more childish when she works with Ruth. She appeals to the tipsy gin drinkers most likely!

I've googled lightweight showerproof parka and I have found loads and literally none of them come in at that ridiculous price. In fact a lot of them are actually waterproof too. I do like the attention to detail on Ruth's parka, the zips, the poppers, hanging chain. The animal print yoke inside seems a bit pointless but I guess it elevates it somewhat. A friend of mine has got something very similar which she bought from Primark a few years ago for pennies and it's still going strong, so it definitely pays not to jump straight in and buy something from Q.
Apart from the over inflated price (I'd say £35 would be a fair price for it) the biggest problem is placement of the waist. The busty model looked ridiculous in it from the front when it was fastened. It was ok around the back, but it rose up too high around the front. From the looks of it the model wouldn't be able to do it up to the top, so I'm presuming that she's wearing one that's a couple of sizes too small. This is frankly unacceptable! Ruth is constantly harping on about her attention to detail, yet they can't be bothered to make sure that they've got samples in sizes that actually fit the models!

My daughters and husband have had lots of great pieces from primark. I was surprised by how well they washed and ironed. no good for me however, I am wrong shape 😒

I've googled lightweight showerproof parka and I have found loads and literally none of them come in at that ridiculous price. In fact a lot of them are actually waterproof too. I do like the attention to detail on Ruth's parka, the zips, the poppers, hanging chain. The animal print yoke inside seems a bit pointless but I guess it elevates it somewhat. A friend of mine has got something very similar which she bought from Primark a few years ago for pennies and it's still going strong, so it definitely pays not to jump straight in and buy something from Q.
Apart from the over inflated price (I'd say £35 would be a fair price for it) the biggest problem is placement of the waist. The busty model looked ridiculous in it from the front when it was fastened. It was ok around the back, but it rose up too high around the front. From the looks of it the model wouldn't be able to do it up to the top, so I'm presuming that she's wearing one that's a couple of sizes too small. This is frankly unacceptable! Ruth is constantly harping on about her attention to detail, yet they can't be bothered to make sure that they've got samples in sizes that actually fit the models!
Its a rare thing to see ANY of Ruth's jackets done up. She pushes up the long sleeves of any garment to the elbow - why ? make them 3/4 sleeves if you don't want them to the wrist.

At the end of the day, she can pose for photos doing her "designs" and can spout how she 'listens' to viewers, as much as she likes, but its all marketing ploys. The stuff is made in China or Bangladesh, bought in cheap with a 50% or more mark up, so she comes into QVC for a few hours, does her spiel for sales (like all of them), takes the money and buggers off home. As for having her name embossed on her wares, what sane person wants the name of a Loose Woman on display ???

Latest posts

Back