Samsung Curved UHD 4K LED TV TSV 30/05/15

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

There is no 4K content to play on it yet, even bluray is lower definition than this.

HD broadcasts are 720, bluray 1080.

By the time there is any 4K content this TV will be out dated and there will be a newer model available lol

I cannot stress enough to stay away from Samsung TVs from QVC

I've purchased two big 'uns (48" Plus) from QVC in the past. A Panasonic, and a Samsung

The Panasonic, still delivers sharp crisp definition, as good as day one. The Samsung seems to have faded on the edges of screen, the contrast has had to be set to max, along with its brightness, and the volume has also 'aged'.

They say, Samsung make for high end branded models. Sure.

Tesco Value beans are connected to Heinz Beans, but without the magic secret ingredient...

go figure!

Save a little longer for a top brand! It really does pay dividends, long term

Our most popular brand is, undoubtedly, Samsung. I sell in vision and MDA (white goods), and samsung televisions, laundry appliances and refrigeration, are our best sellers. Granted, 4k content is not yet broadcast; by purchasing a 4k tv, one is future proofing. Samsung is a premium brand, which is why it outsells it's closest competitor, LG, by far. In our store, anyway. It's horses for courses, though. You may want a samsung, because of it's catch up tv choices, but like the magic remote with the LG. It is which is more important to you.
I do like the 30 day mbg, on expensive electricals, on the Q; gives you a chance to try, especially if you have never had a smart tv, for example, or an Apple product.

Last edited:
Just out of interest, the original black and white TV's of the 1950's/1960's had 405 horizontal lines, equivalent to a vertical resolution of 405 pixels, although they didn't actually have pixels in those days as it was an analogue system.

Then, when UHF colour TV came out, the vertical resolution increased to 625 lines.

This remained for at least 40 years until flat screen digital TV's arrived.

They started as HD READY with the equivalent of 720 lines (although they don't have lines any more). This is what HD TV is broadcast in, so in fact only 95 more lines than before.

Then FULL HD came out with 1080 "lines", which is bluray definition.

I have said all of the above because 4K TV (also known as Ultra HD, UHD TV) does NOT have 4000 "lines" but actually has 2160. So it is TWICE the resolution of HD TV. The 4K refers to the horizontal number of pixels on the screen, so it is actually 4096 by 2160 pixels.

I'll be interested to see what QVC spouts about this. Unfortunately it will probably be Bruce Lee, or is it Lee Marvin, I really can't remember his name?

Yes, it's already been posted by SCW but the title is too long so the fact it is the TSV has been truncated.

Look for Samsung 4K TV.

It would be better if the title started with TSV and date, instead of at the end.

Just out of interest, the original black and white TV's of the 1950's/1960's had 405 horizontal lines, equivalent to a vertical resolution of 405 pixels, although they didn't actually have pixels in those days as it was an analogue system.

Then, when UHF colour TV came out, the vertical resolution increased to 625 lines.

This remained for at least 40 years until flat screen digital TV's arrived.

They started as HD READY with the equivalent of 720 lines (although they don't have lines any more). This is what HD TV is broadcast in, so in fact only 95 more lines than before.

Then FULL HD came out with 1080 "lines", which is bluray definition.

I have said all of the above because 4K TV (also known as Ultra HD, UHD TV) does NOT have 4000 "lines" but actually has 2160. So it is TWICE the resolution of HD TV. The 4K refers to the horizontal number of pixels on the screen, so it is actually 4096 by 2160 pixels.

I'll be interested to see what QVC spouts about this. Unfortunately it will probably be Bruce Lee, or is it Lee Marvin, I really can't remember his name?

This puts me in mind of how QVC gets to the high threadcounts they have on their bedlinens - make it sound better by counting the warp and the weft - same thing in TVs coming this way soon??

Slightly off topic - am I correct in saying that 4 EP was maximum that could be offered without credit agreement regulations having to be entered into? I think this has now increased to 12.

If I'm correct do we think Q will increase their EP and will prices increase accordingly as we all know that in the long run we are paying for this and the 30 Dmbg in the inflated price point.

I may have been dreaming but would be interested to know, so that the crap Christmas key rings can be sold on 12 EP of 50p (and still overcharged)

Slightly off topic - am I correct in saying that 4 EP was maximum that could be offered without credit agreement regulations having to be entered into? I think this has now increased to 12.

If I'm correct do we think Q will increase their EP and will prices increase accordingly as we all know that in the long run we are paying for this and the 30 Dmbg in the inflated price point.

I may have been dreaming but would be interested to know, so that the crap Christmas key rings can be sold on 12 EP of 50p (and still overcharged)

ohh thats intresting i know america do 6 easy pays but if its changed here Q might do it

Our most popular brand is, undoubtedly, Samsung. I sell in vision and MDA (white goods), and samsung televisions, laundry appliances and refrigeration, are our best sellers. Granted, 4k content is not yet broadcast; by purchasing a 4k tv, one is future proofing. Samsung is a premium brand, which is why it outsells it's closest competitor, LG, by far. In our store, anyway. It's horses for courses, though. You may want a samsung, because of it's catch up tv choices, but like the magic remote with the LG. It is which is more important to you.
I do like the 30 day mbg, on expensive electricals, on the Q; gives you a chance to try, especially if you have never had a smart tv, for example, or an Apple product.

Samsung are popular because they make good equipment but at mainstream prices - I'd never call Samsung a 'premium' brand though. They are very much a mainstream brand like Ford is for cars.

The main trouble with buying a 4K set now is that not all the standards have been agreed so by the time someone does broadcast is then the TV may not be able to pick up the correct signal anyway.

You're correct, more than 4 payments would constitute a credit agreement under UK law (I assume the rules in the US allow for up to 6). Mind you, I'd never be able to keep track of payments running for 6 months; imagine a couple of over-lapping 6 payment easy pays? Nightmare!

As it happens just bought a47inch panasonic tv from J Lewis with 5year guarantee comfortable in the knowledge that any problems are covered buying tvs from QVC not for me but each to their own.

Last week purchased a 43" Samsung from John Lewis. (my old 11 year old plasma conked out boo hoo!)

When it was delivered and installed, I told the delivery men I was 6 years old and to tell me how it worked. Of course their instructions did not correspond with my written notes. I was in a state of panic for 24 hours as I couldn't 'get' my Sky system working; AND a message kept popping up after 4 hours telling me to press the OK button or the tv would automatically shut down, WHAT ???? the manual was 5 pages that didn't tell you how to switch it on, but very good for giving Smart instructions and how to install a camera etc. It referred to an E=manual (what happens if you don't have a computer ??), so that didn't help when I did find the 100 odd page on line instructions.

I contacted JL's teccy support and the problems couldn't be resolved over the phone, and it all resulted in sending out a 'troubleshooter' yesterday.

My tv needed to be connected to Wi-Fi despite I didn't want the Smart facility, but the tv needed 'updates' for some reason.

I managed to get all the problems resolved via the 'troubleshooter' actually being here to do it. If I had purchased this from QVC I would still be lying down in a darkened room or bawling my eyes out with frustration because I live on my own with no-one to help. Anything on the scale of a TV I would not buy from Q or any other online dealer because of the lack of after sales service.

Latest posts

Back