Screw back earrings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MissMagpie

If it sparkles - grab it
I don't often shop with TJC, but I recently bought two pairs of absolutely beautiful 9k white gold diamond earrings from them. They have screw backs, which I like in many ways because they are secure and make the earrings fit snugly; but unfortunately I've found that the screw thread scratches my piercing holes when insert them, and makes my ears a bit sore.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so did you find a solution? I'm thinking of wearing some earrings with slightly thicker posts the day before, to stretch the holes a bit. (You'd think that after 30+ years of wearring earrings every day they'd have stretched anyway, but obviously not!)

I can't wear them at all. They gave me painful lumps all around the back of my ears, I couldn't even lie on them. The doctor had to give me antibiotics and told me I was allergic to platinum lol, didn't want to argue, it was later a jeweller told me it was the screws.

Well I am determined to persist! If the worst comes to the worst I could just file down the screw threads and put ordinary backs on, but that would be a pity.

My earrings are Iliana 0.50ct platinum studs. I've had them a good few years. My intention was to put them in and never take them out but that lasted a week. I would be worried if they weren't screwed on.
If you find a solution let me know.

What I don't understand is the part of the post that stays in my ear is at the top where there is no screw, so its smooth and as I leave them in why do they infect my ears with lots of pea size painful lumps? I don't pull them in and out so once they are in the screw doesn't even touch my ear.
Its bugging me know as I'd love to wear them.

I have posted this before but I had this problem a while back with a pair of Iliana snowflake earings. I couldn't wait to wear them but the first time I found it quite a job to get them through my ear and then couldn't take them off. After a real struggle trying to screw them out, I had to grit my teeth and yank, which wasn't very pleasant.

I had no problem when I complained to TJC and they replaced the posts with normal ones, nice and long so I feel confident I won't lose them.

I had previously bought a pair of studs with screw fittings and these give me no problem at all.

I've had a few pairs of earrings from TJC where the posts have been either too thick to wear or painful to wear. I have to say that where this has been the case I've never had a problem with returning them. I have either had a refund or they have resolved the problem.

I've tried wearing heavier earrings for a while hoping it would stretch the holes a bit, but it doesn't work I'm afraid. :sad:

I just don't like them because with long nails they are too ****** fiddly. I did buy a pair of platinum studs from TJC a few years back and the lovely Miles arranged to have them converted to ordinary post and butterfly fittings at a very reasonable cost. He was a real sweetie and I often wonder how he is.

Thanks - it's very useful to know that, if the screws continue to drive me crazy, I can get TJC to change the posts.

What's really puzzling me is that I have another pair of earrings with screw-back posts, vermeil garnet earrings that I bought in Prague, and I've never had any problem with them! Maybe the posts are thinner or something; I'll have the check.

I think I may have found the solution: Vaseline! I'll try wearing them for a day and then report back...

I can't wear them at all. They gave me painful lumps all around the back of my ears, I couldn't even lie on them. The doctor had to give me antibiotics and told me I was allergic to platinum lol, didn't want to argue, it was later a jeweller told me it was the screws.

I've never heard of anyone being allergic to platinum gemcherub, it's largely chemically inert and thus hypoallergenic! I think it's the least reactive metal in the Periodic Table (went out with an industrial chemist once, knowledge of precious metals was the best thing to come out of the relationship..!)

Hope you all find an earring solution anyway!

I've never heard of anyone being allergic to platinum gemcherub, it's largely chemically inert and thus hypoallergenic! I think it's the least reactive metal in the Periodic Table (went out with an industrial chemist once, knowledge of precious metals was the best thing to come out of the relationship..!)

Hope you all find an earring solution anyway!

I know thats why I didn't want to get into with the doctor, not sure jewellery rocked his world lol I knew the issue wasn't an allergy but at least the antibiotics got rid of the lumps:)
What I meant I know its hypoallergenic! I have no idea what else you just said lol

Hello,
Just reading the thread Gemcherub, I bought platinum studs a while back and they hurt for a while....
I cleaned my studs in boiling water and detol and then I put antiseptic cream on the screws. I did this for a couple of days and now I wear them every day which is a bit sad as I don't bother with all my other Iliana and raphsody earrings.

I hope you are able to wear your earrings, my ones were graded as G VS by safeguard and they are lovely (gone are the days of buying real bargains at TJC)

Latest posts

Back