Smashbox Mega To Go Palette

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ladies who have got this: Is it heavy?

I thought the brow techs look weirdly pale on tv earlier Gemster but I thought it must be the studio lights. Are they not the standard Smashbox colours then?

And what do you think about the eyeshadow quality?

(Hope you don't mind all the Qs! :blush:)

Don't mind at all giving a review! :happy:

Just weighed it...575g but that is minus 2 brow colours that are now a very fine powder coating all the other colours and stuck in the eyeliner and lip glosses!

Playing on the back of my hand the quality seems fine (colour wise) but will know for sure tomorrow when I actually literally wear it for the day.

I'm dark haired and would probably only use one of the brow powders, the others are too pale for me, there is one that is a red-brown that I would use as an eyeshadow and the really pale ones as an eyeshadow base.

My only criticism is that there is only one powder blusher (other is cream) which is small yet there are three large highlighters. :wonder:

:flower:

Last edited:
:wave:Thanks Ms Trouble. 575g does seem quite weighty. (Thanks so much for actually weighing it! :star:) I wondered about the highlighter to blusher ratio as well.

I volunteer at a women's refuge and with some young single Mums and makeover night is always a great success. I was wondering if it would be a good piece of kit to have for that.

I'm only interested if it's the proper Smashbox products I'm familiar with though. If they've cut corners or changed the formulations I'd give it a miss. Will you let me know what you think after you've actually literally worn it on your actual literal face area for you? :grin:

:wave:Thanks Ms Trouble. 575g does seem quite weighty. (Thanks so much for actually weighing it! :star:) I wondered about the highlighter to blusher ratio as well.

I volunteer at a women's refuge and with some young single Mums and makeover night is always a great success. I was wondering if it would be a good piece of kit to have for that.

I'm only interested if it's the proper Smashbox products I'm familiar with though. If they've cut corners or changed the formulations I'd give it a miss. Will you let me know what you think after you've actually literally worn it on your actual literal face area for you? :grin:

Silly question but could you not just use any of your actual stockpile?:giggle:

Will do! :nod:

Some of the dark colours when used with the brush in the box don't come out that dark on my hand but if I use my finger then the colour is more intense.

I'm going to have to try my full sized Smashbox another day to compare.

I think it is a nice range of colours, on television they looked different (probably the lighting) as some colours like the greens looked really bright but in reality the shades are darker/muted.

The cream blusher is a cream to powder and looks bright in the palette but is quite natural looking once on so think that would suit a lot of skin tones.

Lots of nice brown eyeshadows though! :nod:

Silly question but could you not just use any of your actual stockpile?:giggle:

:hi: :happy:I could honey.. and do...but I'd quite like to have a separate kit in a slightly wider range of colours - since strangely not everyone shares my enormous enthusiasm for brown!:giggle:

Will do! :nod:

Some of the dark colours when used with the brush in the box don't come out that dark on my hand but if I use my finger then the colour is more intense.

I'm going to have to try my full sized Smashbox another day to compare.

I think it is a nice range of colours, on television they looked different (probably the lighting) as some colours like the greens looked really bright but in reality the shades are darker/muted.

The cream blusher is a cream to powder and looks bright in the palette but is quite natural looking once on so think that would suit a lot of skin tones.

Lots of nice brown eyeshadows though! :nod:

Thank you sweetie. You are waaay more helpful than the presentations and the website have been! Cream to powder blusher is the best type as far as I'm concerned. :sun: I'll check in tomorrw and see what you think. :clapping:

I will give you another review too Love A'kin once I have done a proper test!

I don't normally use brow powders I use pencils so maybe my 'technique' is not correct, but my eyebrows are very thin (overplucking!) and jet black so I cannot see these powders being much use to me.

The box is heavy (thanks for weighing Ms Trouble!) for travelling, which is why I'm a bit disgruntled as that is what I wanted it for.

I'm also a bit puzzled about having 3 huge highlighters but only 2 small blushes, but having not tested them yet will give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think it would be a great kit for doing others' make-up, and in fact would be a great kit for someone who doesn't already have a huge make-up collection and is looking to experiment (ie pressie for a teenager). But I have WAYYYYY too much already, my collection is on a par with yours Love A'kin :rock: and I specifically wanted this for travel/portability.

I will give you another review too Love A'kin once I have done a proper test!

I don't normally use brow powders I use pencils so maybe my 'technique' is not correct, but my eyebrows are very thin (overplucking!) and jet black so I cannot see these powders being much use to me.

The box is heavy (thanks for weighing Ms Trouble!) for travelling, which is why I'm a bit disgruntled as that is what I wanted it for.

I'm also a bit puzzled about having 3 huge highlighters but only 2 small blushes, but having not tested them yet will give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think it would be a great kit for doing others' make-up, and in fact would be a great kit for someone who doesn't already have a huge make-up collection and is looking to experiment (ie pressie for a teenager). But I have WAYYYYY too much already, my collection is on a par with yours Love A'kin :rock: and I specifically wanted this for travel/portability.

Thank you my lovely! :star: I was thinking about having a lot of different options all in one place, and how handy that would be for doing different people's colouring. It would be nice not to have to fiddle about opening so many little pots and laying them out before I can get started.

Plus it's so pretty! :sun::heart:

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it when yoiu properly road test it. :nod::flower:

I have heard Alison say several times today something along the lines of 'This kit is unique to Smashbox, they never use compacts like other companies and just put their name on it'
Hmmm these kits look very similar http://www.eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~165.htm

:hi: They do look pretty similar don't they? :nod:

I've looked at those before, but I've never been thrilled with ELF eyeshadows. I think they were giving one of those palettes away free with purchases before Christmas. I do like that layout though - where the upper trays close in on top of the lower ones.

Lots of brands do something similar don't they? What's that brand that does the huge colourful collections in Debenhams at Christmastime? I can't remember the name. :doh: Boots No7 always does a big palette around Christmastime as well. There were massive Strictly sets in the Boots 75% off sale yesterday too.

I'm only really interested in this because it's Smashbox which is a brand I'm familiar with. If the formulations aren't the same as I'm used to, I wouldn't be interested at all.

I'm looking forward to some firsthand reviews! (I've got it on chequehold so no rush lovelies!) :sun:

Well the Mega kit was used today and eyelids primed with Urban Decay Primer potion ready to go. Used three shades two of which were matt applied with my own brushes.
Blusher was hard to use with it being small as my brush is chunky and so hairs were going into the cream side, no problem though with the highlighters. I never do my brows but then I couldn't test them as they were damaged (little metal containers completely empty!)
Used one of the lip colour's a nice natural lip shade and really liked the consistency.

The quality of the brushes inside this kit don't feel anything like their full sized brushes. The eyeshadow brush had hairs coming out and I could easily remove them. When using the brush over the powder eyeshadows the surface had 'loose powder' if you know what I mean.
When I used the full sized Smashbox eyeshadows no 'powder' appeared on the surface so it's got me wondering is the quality different? The colours and textures were nice though and some felt like the usual Smashbox quality and some didn't. I'm still funny about the 'surface powder' which you usually get with very cheap makeup.

As for staying power I didn't notice that it was better or worse than normal for me.

As a kit I think it's great with the eyeshadows, blusher, highlighters (I really like those - pretty and subtle) and lip colours and good for what you want to use it for Love A'kin.

I am undecided now whether to get a replacement or a refund... hmmm :wonder:

Very interested to hear how Gemster got on with her's and her view on the quality.

Well the Mega kit was used today and eyelids primed with Urban Decay Primer potion ready to go. Used three shades two of which were matt applied with my own brushes.
Blusher was hard to use with it being small as my brush is chunky and so hairs were going into the cream side, no problem though with the highlighters. I never do my brows but then I couldn't test them as they were damaged (little metal containers completely empty!)
Used one of the lip colour's a nice natural lip shade and really liked the consistency.

The quality of the brushes inside this kit don't feel anything like their full sized brushes. The eyeshadow brush had hairs coming out and I could easily remove them. When using the brush over the powder eyeshadows the surface had 'loose powder' if you know what I mean.
When I used the full sized Smashbox eyeshadows no 'powder' appeared on the surface so it's got me wondering is the quality different? The colours and textures were nice though and some felt like the usual Smashbox quality and some didn't. I'm still funny about the 'surface powder' which you usually get with very cheap makeup.

As for staying power I didn't notice that it was better or worse than normal for me.

As a kit I think it's great with the eyeshadows, blusher, highlighters (I really like those - pretty and subtle) and lip colours and good for what you want to use it for Love A'kin.

I am undecided now whether to get a replacement or a refund... hmmm :wonder:

Very interested to hear how Gemster got on with her's and her view on the quality.

:flower: Thank you ever so much my lovely, you've given me a few more things to ponder about. Can I push my luck and ask you one more question? I was wondering how many of the eyeshadows are matte?

I was trying to freeze frame the tv yesterday and count but I got confused about which bit I'd counted already! :doh:

The other thing is that therw seemed to be a few things with a yellowy tinge (Eyeliner, highlighter and a few eyeshadows) Was it just the gold in the colours flaring under the studio lights or is there really a yellow eyeliner?!

Sorry, I know that's two questions (at least!)

Thanks ever so much sweetie. :flower::clapping: :sun:

Last edited:
How fickle can anyone be? Despite posting a comment with the definate intention of F.A.R.T.I.N.G on this one my finger hit the send order button yesterday! Justification--- it would be good for travelling/hols ( if not too heavy) & that will save me hours of deliberating which colours to take away with me.I would have thought with age I might have grown out of these urges by now!

How fickle can anyone be? Despite posting a comment with the definate intention of F.A.R.T.I.N.G on this one my finger hit the send order button yesterday! Justification--- it would be good for travelling/hols ( if not too heavy) & that will save me hours of deliberating which colours to take away with me.I would have thought with age I might have grown out of these urges by now!

that's exactly why I bought it SF but I think it is too big and heavy for travel. But I do a lot of 'overnighters' with work where I don't take a very big bag, going on a proper holiday with a suitcase it should be fine.

Love A'kin & MsTrouble - I haven't tested it properly yet in terms of what the colours are like etc, will let you know once I do!

:flower: Thank you ever so much my lovely, you've given me a few more things to ponder about. Can I push my luck and ask you one more question? I was wondering how many of the eyeshadows are matte?

I was trying to freeze frame the tv yesterday and count but I got confused about which bit I'd counted already! :doh:

The other thing is that therw seemed to be a few things with a yellowy tinge (Eyeliner, highlighter and a few eyeshadows) Was it just the gold in the colours flaring under the studio lights or is there really a yellow eyeliner?!

Sorry, I know that's two questions (at least!)

Thanks ever so much sweetie. :flower::clapping: :sun:

:hi:

I think there are 11 matte shades on each side out of 32 shades each side.
Really liked the pale cream and the cool dark brown in matte. Yes, there is a gold/yellow eyeliner!

Some of the shades on tv did look very bright but the 'yellow' eyeshadow is a light yellow/cream. I don't think any of the shades are garish.
The purple shades are nice too as they are 'cool' and don't give me that bruised look!

The highlighters are lovely, they have a hint of gold in them but very very subtle and not sparkly at all. I couldn't see it on but you can when the light catches it.

The lip colour is more of a vanilla/beige/gold shade, natural looking but nice on it's own, or on top of another colour or as a highlight gloss. The 'golds' in the kit are nice.

I see the kit is on Waitlist now. Does anyone know if it is a limited edition? Just wondering as to the likelihood of me getting a replacement for my damaged one.

:sun:

Last edited:
:hi:

I think there are 11 matte shades on each side out of 32 shades each side.
Really liked the pale cream and the cool dark brown in matte. Yes, there is a gold/yellow eyeliner!

Some of the shades on tv did look very bright but the 'yellow' eyeshadow is a light yellow/cream. I don't think any of the shades are garish.
The purple shades are nice too as they are 'cool' and don't give me that bruised look!

The highlighters are lovely, they have a hint of gold in them but very very subtle and not sparkly at all. I couldn't see it on but you can when the light catches it.

The lip colour is more of a vanilla/beige/gold shade, natural looking but nice on it's own, or on top of another colour or as a highlight gloss. The 'golds' in the kit are nice.

I see the kit is on Waitlist now. Does anyone know if it is a limited edition? Just wondering as to the likelihood of me getting a replacement for my damaged one.

:sun:

If it is on waitlist and you get a replacement it will be a used one :wink::wink:

Latest posts

Back