So Keeley..... Parabens?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
JR just put her on the spot by reading a tweet asking if pro collagen marine cream contains Parabens.

"yes it does." says KA, then does this fixed smile. Not happy, clearly.

JR moves along without further comment.

Yes but good on Q for even allowing that question to be asked, quite refreshing

JR just put her on the spot by reading a tweet asking if pro collagen marine cream contains Parabens.

Yes but good on Q for even allowing that question to be asked, quite refreshing

I suspect that was down to JR, and probably not deliberate. She's been caught out reading tweets without really READING them first hasn't she.

Still, nice to see the truth broadcast, however it came about. KA is always anxious to tell us about Elemis products not containing chemicals, when one of their biggest sellers contains chemicals linked with cancer it's only right or it to be mentioned methinks.

That was a fixed smile alright, not a happy bunny. I"m suprised she
knew the answer though. Or knew what parabens were :thinking::cash:

I suspect that was down to JR, and probably not deliberate. She's been caught out reading tweets without really READING them first hasn't she.

Still, nice to see the truth broadcast, however it came about. KA is always anxious to tell us about Elemis products not containing chemicals, when one of their biggest sellers contains chemicals linked with cancer it's only right or it to be mentioned methinks.

I disagree about parabens. If parabens caused cancer they would be banned from use in this country, in Europe and partic the USA. There is controversy over this but little scientific evidence to support it.

That said, for such an exorbitantly expensive moisturiser that has such a short life of 6 months once opened, I would not expect to see parabens or silicone in it. Silicone is my real bugbear - its a dirt cheap ingredient that gives the illusion of softening lines and wrinkles, making you believe that PCMC has virtually mystical anti-ageing properties. It does not. It's a cheap industry trick, which Elemis cash in on. PCMC is not worth £68 for 50ml or £99 for £100ml with its cheap trick ingredients. That is evidenced by its continual appearance in TSV's around the £45 mark. And Elemis are still making a tidy profit from those TSV sales, which include 4-5 other items too, do not forget.

Rant over.

That was a fixed smile alright, not a happy bunny. I"m suprised she
knew the answer though. Or knew what parabens were :thinking::cash:

Yeah well, tough shite Keeley - they're in there & you're flogging the stuff, why try & keep it under wraps anyway! Many other websites actually state a full ingredients list for items, shame QVC don't & their returns level might actually be a bit less if they did so! :dull: :taphead:

Lol.
I saw that. It was a beautiful moment.

I'm not that convinced that Julia is such an Elemis face cream fan. I recall her once telling Keeley that she was reluctant to use their new eye gel around her eyes as they were very sensitive & she had to be careful. She prefaced this announcement with, "I have to be honest ..."
Good on her.
Keeley looked like a smacked kipper and commented that she couldn't see why Julia would be reluctant to use the eye cream.

I'm sure I've heard Liz Earle go on about parabens. I think she said that some/all come from food?!! Food-grade parabens? Anyway, I'm fairly sure she said that the study that claimed a link between them and cancer was based on poor science or something or other, a bit like the MMR vaccine study. Bad science or misinterpreted results...but these things take off and get rooted in the public thinking like urban myths...(like the MMR vaccine!). Anyway, I get the impression that those who know the scientific background aren't bothered by them at all and believe that they are safe and that branding products 'paraben free' is a clever marketing tool in reaction to this belief that has taken off that they are bad. Kind of reverse marketing if you know what I mean. Having them in won't hurt, but take them out and you can use it as a usp to sell more - give them what they want kind of thing.

Re the point about the US allowing them - I wouldn't use the US allowing anything as evidence of anything. The US is the only country that allows the use of hydroquinone in products - proper research has been done into this and the links between that and health issues are MUCH more convincing. Europe and many other places have banned it...not the US...and the reason...vigorous lobbying!

its like mono sodium glutomate isnt it. a few years ago it was the food of the devil, being held responsible for all sorts of syndromes including CRS (chinese restaurant syndrome) despite the actual medical evidence being scant to say the least. and of course no-one ever explained why the chinese and japanese had been eating it by the bucket load for decades without any ill effect.

nowadays its the basis of the 5th basic taste "umami" and everyones eating it. i'm thinking of compiling an MSG recipe book - it would do a bomb. did you know that marmite is full of it? they say "yeast extract" on the label but its actually glutomate.

anyway, i digress, its still not the same as smearing cancer-cream on your fizzog!

I used to believe all the beauty rubbish, but after many expensive years of buying nearly every cream they
had on QVC, i"ve come to the conclusion that its all down to genes. All you can and should do is
cleanse, tone, and moisturise. Leave the rest to the "genes". My OH does nothing to his face, and
he probably has lines etc, but then i do also, despite all my attempts to keep them away. And do men
get jowls???? I think most of them age better than women and they just use soap and water. Women
just get sucked into the beauty spiel, i did and have spent a fortune , but no more. Sensible head on
now. And don"t start me on getting my hair dyed, trying to keep the grey away :down::devil:

I can't believe this but I'm about to defend Keeley (a little). At least she knew that PCMC contained parabins. I remember a few months back on a L'Occitane show, JR read a tweet out asking if any of their products contained them. Alexis (quite snottily) replied she didn't know & she would get back to us. I am still waiting for an answer from her. Now I don't believe for a second that she didn't really know, probably more like she just didn't want to answer. So although Keeley answered with a face like a smacked arse, at least she DID answer. Funny how both times it was JR who asked though isn't it? Good on her I say.

I can't believe this but I'm about to defend Keeley (a little). At least she knew that PCMC contained parabins. I remember a few months back on a L'Occitane show, JR read a tweet out asking if any of their products contained them. Alexis (quite snottily) replied she didn't know & she would get back to us. I am still waiting for an answer from her. Now I don't believe for a second that she didn't really know, probably more like she just didn't want to answer. So although Keeley answered with a face like a smacked arse, at least she DID answer. Funny how both times it was JR who asked though isn't it? Good on her I say.

Keeley is paraded before us as both a beauty 'expert' (with what, two decades of experience working in the industry?) & a representative of Elemis as a brand - of course she should know what the ruddy ingredients are, otherwise how the heck could she advise anybody on anything from either of those positions?
In reality of course, she is mainly a saleswoman but even the lowliest newbie of a salesperson has it drummed into them to know their product inside out!

As for Alexis, I think her blanking of a similar question did neither her nor the brand she represents any favours at all, if she patronisingly assumed everyone was so dimwitted as to simply gloss over it & forget about it she made a serious error of judgement & for some, with brand loyalty already hanging by a fraying thread, it might just have been the final whatsit that made them think 'Ah, stuff it!'.....!

p.s. I have noticed Keeley's slightly snotty attitude on previous occasions when she is forced to acknowledge that a certain Elemis item is not in fact the elixir of the gods & perfect in every way for absolutely anybody - she was asked on air if something or other was suitable for somebody with roseacea (sic) & her answer was a very short 'No', accompanied by a facial expression on the lines of sucking on a lemon.....!

People don't want to listen to scientific evidence. They would rather listen to zelebrities and marketing charlatans :rolleyes:

Oh well. A fool and his money and all that.....:D

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

People don't want to listen to scientific evidence. They would rather listen to zelebrities and marketing charlatans :rolleyes:

Oh well. A fool and his money and all that.....:D

You're right there Capirossi....unless it's some pseudo science nonsense that's being spouted of course! Some of the utter boll**ks Keeley comes out with would have anybody with a basic O Level in human biology rolling in the aisles with laughter.....! :dull:

(My OH frequently sits there, not even looking up from his laptop, just making the odd comment along the lines of 'No, it doesn't', 'No, it won't', 'Only if you're a non-carbon based life form' & so on & so forth, is quite funny sometimes.....!) :grin:

A systemic review of all the available studies in 2008 concluded that there was no causal link between parabens and cancer a studying 2005 also concluded the same thing.
The problem is that a story gets circulated and it becomes "true" even if there is no real evidence to back it up, I am well used to researching information for work and use systemic reviews a lot so I am more inclined to believe the evidence than the chatter.
Parabens like any other chemical can cause a reaction and that is more of a concern to me. There are natural parabens in blueberries but those used in cosmetics are all synthesised

You're right there Capirossi....unless it's some pseudo science nonsense that's being spouted of course! Some of the utter boll**ks Keeley comes out with would have anybody with a basic O Level in human biology rolling in the aisles with laughter.....! :dull:

(My OH frequently sits there, not even looking up from his laptop, just making the odd comment along the lines of 'No, it doesn't', 'No, it won't', 'Only if you're a non-carbon based life form' & so on & so forth, is quite funny sometimes.....!) :grin:

That sounds like Mr C too!! And, far be it for me to say, but he's right - the men are, for once, spot on!! :cool:

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

Latest posts

Back