Steam press TSV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ERICS MUM

Registered Shopper
No reviews yet, so I'm looking for your opinions on steam presses in general. Are they as good as QVC say, is it possible to get a good finish on shirts in particular ?

Linda xx

I've always wanted one of these,so I've gone for it,particularly with the easy pay.

I have previous revies saying they're really dangerous as the gap in the back is really small where to push your linen through at the back - but I really want to have a go.

I'm an excellent "ironer" even if I say so myself:happy: and I can whizz through it too - so this kinda has a lot to live up to!!

A good price, but it looks rather small. I would like a steam press but I don't iron enough anymore to warrant one.

I'm just watching the launch repeat and they are currently pressing some red jeans, it dosen't look to be doing a very good job- jeans still look very creased.

I've got a Fast Press that they sell on IW (I didn't pay their prices though). I couldn't be without it for bedding and shirts. In fact I use it for everything except my daughter's frilly, intricate bits and pieces, you really need the point of an iron to do those. It is much bigger than the TSV and they seem to be demonstrating on children's clothes which makes me think that this is going to be too small to press large items efficiently. Things like duvet covers would have to be folded too many times to fit onto the press. I can put the whole sleeve of a shirt on the Fast Press and the length also only takes one press. I honestly think the little press on QVC would be more hassle than the worth of it. If you are going to get one go for the largest pressing area possible.

Hope this helps.

I'm just watching the launch repeat and they are currently pressing some red jeans, it dosen't look to be doing a very good job- jeans still look very creased.

I thought that too Tabs, plus some of the stuff being pressed looked like it already had a once-over and there were not many creases to deal with anyway.

I bought a reconditioned Domena Xpress off of eBay a couple of years ago and eventually something in it blew and there was an electrical problem. Unfortunately it was out of warranty. You can get a local engineer via Domena but they charge call-out before you even start, so I'd stalled on repairing it in case I could get hold of another one.

I was at the QVC outlet a few months ago and saw some presses there but they looked small and plasticky in comparison. I decided not to buy a replacement but put my machine in for repair with a local electrical shop and they charged me a tenner to look at it plus £15 to fix it.

I just have to get it out and start using it more. I don't have the excuse that it's broken!

Re. results on shirts, there is a knack to it and I'm getting better at it. Domena supply an instructional DVD, complete with cheesy music. :grin:

I bought a steam press for my daughter for Christmas about five years ago. She has to do a lot of men's shirts for her partner and she absolutely adores it. There is a knack to using them and yes you will burn yourselves in the beginning.

I now have one myself and of course it comes into its own for large items and for trousers. Between us my daughter and I have caused about four other people to purchase one of these presses and they are all very satisfied with them.

I have no idea how much watts matter but its only 1200w. My ordinary iron is more than 2x that!

I have a Domena (bought from Argos several years ago) and I couldn't be without it. I use it on virtually everything and it's invaluable for bedding. Shirts are a doddle, as are jeans. HTH.

I only watched the 1st couple of moments of the TSV presentation but thought it looked very flimsy and plasticy.

Usually they make a lovely thud when the top bit is pressed down but this one just seemed to.....flop down and creak.

I don't buy much from qvc these days and looking forward to recieving mine to give it a go.It does look smaller than others sold previously (and can't find any others on the website?) and I suppose the price reflects that.

My mum bought a fastpress from Ideal World about two years ago & she loves it.
The TSV looks pretty shoddy & flimsy compared to the IW one TBH.
I know the fastpress is about £60.00 more expensive, but it's better spending a bit more than spending £100.00 on something that looks cheap & nasty & might not work.
Hard to explain what I mean, but the fastpress seems to press the clothes harder when you pull it down. The TSV doesn't look like it does.

Does any of this make sense, or should I have a go in French or German instead?
I know what I want to say, but I can't seem to put it into words!!

I would love to be tempted by this as I've been looking to get one for ages and with the easy pay seems a good one to go for. However I've just watched a 15 minute demo which gave me very little information, I need to know how to store it and the controls etc; all you get is waffle which makes me suspect it's not up to much. It doesn't seems as good as previous models I've seen demonstrated on QVC, but I don't do much ironing so would still be interested even with what seems to be a compact design and low wattage.

I looked at various websites and gather 1200w seems quite low, and if it can't be stored on its side it will be useless to me. I really wish QVC would give more detailed information so you could make up your mind properly and not waste postage costs.

Still thinking on this one?

I've got a Domena. There's a knack to using it. Mr L irons all his own shirts, and he won't use it. I hardly iron anything, but when I do I use the Domena and I get along OK with it. I just think life's too short for ironing, really... :rolleyes:
The other thing is that it is a very sizeable piece of kit, and there isn't really room in the house for it. It currently languishes on the dining room floor.
Ideally, I would have a utility room big enough to house an ironing table, and I'd leave it set up and ready to use - that might tempt me to use it more often. But I don't live in a mansion, more's the pity.
So, on balance, I think it was probably a very unwise impulse purchase in my case.
Don't know if that helps or not?

I have the fast Press from IW and I love it.

I don't have to iron shirts so can't help there but it is fantastic on bedlinen, jeans and linen. The fast bit is never having to iron the other side.

I have a shoulder problem and this has been a godsend as I can use either hand - not much pressure required.

I put off buying a steam press as I was told by someone that they were only really good for bedlinen. Some months ago though I read lots of positive reviews on here and people said they wouldn't be without it. As the QVC one at that time had bad reviews, I ended up buying a 2nd hand Domena from a certain famous auction site.

I love it! I haven't used my iron since I got it and it's just so much nicer sitting down pressing. I do shirts and it's fairly easy once you get the hang of it. I do have a shirt that has gathering on the front which means I can't really press it but I have one of those little pad things, so I put that inside and just rub it over the top plate instead. Bed linen and T shirts are great but one of the biggest boons for me is my black trousers for work. I used to hate ironing them - one leg at a time and ironed with a piece of cloth between the iron and the trousers to stop shining. Now, I get both legs together and a couple of presses later and they're done!

After speaking to me tonight, my sister has gone and ordered this, so I hope it's not as plasticcy and small as some think it is. :sweat:

Forgot to say 'Eric's mum', in response to the 'finish' on shirts, I think it's absolutely fine. My sister's hubby used to be in the navy though and still insists on ironing his own work shirts, so I've told her that it may not be good enough for him!

I have a large steam press with automatic steam, so I don't need to use a water spray, but since buying my Rowenta steam generator iron, it hasn't seen the light of day. I find the Rowenta much more flexible and it steams through several layers of clothing or sheets with a beautiful finish. I can take or leave the steam press, but would never be without a steam generator iron now.
I know it's all down to personal preferances, but thought I'd just add this into the mix, hope it doesn't confuse you even further.

Latest posts

Back