Strange advance order email from Q

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Letz-be-avenue

Registered Shopper
Had email out of the blue today, Q doing a little survey on advance orders and what do I think of them, following my recent advance order, but the strange thing is i haven't ordered anything on advanced order all year and they just addressed the email to A, ie Hi A, anyone else had this? They can't seem to get much right sometimes!

Had email out of the blue today, Q doing a little survey on advance orders and what do I think of them, following my recent advance order, but the strange thing is i haven't ordered anything on advanced order all year and they just addressed the email to A, ie Hi A, anyone else had this? They can't seem to get much right sometimes!
This is typical of MANY email scams doing the rounds (I get notified about them once a week by Which). They try to steal your data (ef bank details) or even infect your PC with a virus.

If you look at the senders email address which is usually top left corner of the email when using a PC or on the top of the email when using a smart phone it usually has the name of the sender included for example [email protected] if it's from a company or organisation.

Beware it might not always be the case but almost always.

I recently had a very legitimate looking email from a supposedly government department to arrange my pension payments as I'm due to retire in January next year, a quick glance at the sender's address and I knew it was a phishing attempt.

You can Google the address and get some interesting results!

I deleted the email and can't seem to find it now, but clearly doesn't seem it was genuine, mainly deleted it as I couldn't be bothered to fill it in or read it fully as it was from Q! But just shows how much phising is going on, thanks for replies

Be careful everyone so many scams going round it’s insane if unsure ring customer services but I think it sounds like a scam x

Things to look out for in emails are spelling and grammar (often poor), whether they use your name - was just 'A' in Letz-be-avenue's email. I get lots which address it to my email address not my name. As SusieSue points out look at the sender - you often find official type emails that have a Hotmail or Gmail address - clearly fake. The biggest point is to avoid clicking on a link, that's the easiest way they will infect your device. Watch out for any sense of urgency, ie do this now or blah blah - it makes you panic and not think. And ignore any phone calls with a recorded message (usually American) claiming to be from HMRC or the National Crime Agency saying you're in trouble and press 1 to get it sorted. Trust me either of those agencies will write to you! And finally, be wary of WhatsApp messages claiming to be from a friend saying they've lost their phone, using a different number and need money. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious with these tips but I'm a civil servant and have learned a bit about email scams.

HMRC never phone you, they put everything in writing. I can't think I've ever had an email from them either unless it was about business tutorials online. Far too many scams these days, you have to be very aware. I contacted my pension people recently as I had clicked on a link in an email then worried it wasn't from them - thankfully it was and they said they would rather people checked even though it was more work for them.

CC

Latest posts

Back