Sun cream

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ERICS MUM

Registered Shopper
I looked at Ultrasun on Q as I need a decent quality one for a Caribbean cruise - albeit in Nov sun but I think it will still be the hottest I’ve experienced for some years.

Before I buy, do you all think Ultrasun is the best, most effective or do you have suggestions for other brands, from “personal experience” please ?

Thanks

I looked at Ultrasun on Q as I need a decent quality one for a Caribbean cruise - albeit in Nov sun but I think it will still be the hottest I’ve experienced for some years.

Before I buy, do you all think Ultrasun is the best, most effective or do you have suggestions for other brands, from “personal experience” please ?

Thanks
How exciting have a great time !
Personally I think it’s great .. we take it to canaries every year and never burned .. I wouldn’t use anything else whilst there .
We apply mostly once a day unless having had a swim .. and of course it depends how much you apply as an individual.. but for years we have used 👍

I've been using this for years and have always been more than happy with it......

They do an SPF40 version too if you're expecting a lot of sunshine though...

I've never been tempted by Ultrasun as I really don't think you should have to spend a fortune for sun protection as long as you can find something that works for you.
If Calypso can sell for a reasonable price, God only knows what the profit margin on Ultrasun really is.

I know you stress “from personal experience” (from which I cannot speak as I haven’t been on a “hot sun” holiday for years) but Which? do annual reviews of sun creams, where they examine the stated protections. Worth a glance, if only for the ‘fails’. So, in case it’s of interest to you or anyone else, the ones which did well in their tests this year and they rate most highly are as follows - not a long list, I’m afraid. I think the prices given are all per 200ml.
  • Asda Protect Moisturising Sun Lotion SPF30 (£3)
  • Asda Protect Refreshing Clear Sun Spray SPF30 (£4)
  • Boots Soltan Protect & Moisture Lotion SPF30 (£4)
  • Boots Soltan Protect & Moisture Spray SPF30 (£4.50)
  • Superdrug Solait Moisturising Sun Cream Lotion SPF30 (£3.59)
  • Nivea Sun Protect & Moisture SPF30 Lotion (£6)
Also, last year’s report said to avoid the below:
  • Hawaiian Tropic Aloha Care Protective Sun Lotion SPF30 : twice failed SPF tests
  • Hawaiian Tropic Mineral Protective Sun Milk SPF30 : around 2/3 of its SPF 30 claim
  • Alba Botanica Sensitive Mineral Fragrance-Free SPF30 : failed to provide even 2/3 of its SPF30 claim
  • Tropic Skin Shade Sun Cream SPF30 : failed SPF tests twice and insufficient UVA protection
  • Ultrasun Body Mineral Sunscreen SPF30 : expensive and failed to provide the stated SPF/UVA protection
  • Clinique Mineral Sunscreen Lotion for Body SPF30 (£26) : pricey and barely provided 1/3 of its claimed SPF
  • Green People Scent-Free Sun Cream SPF30 : SPF satisfactory but failed UVA protection tests
  • Avon Refreshing 3-in-1 Face & Body Sun Lotion SPF30 : didn’t come close to hitting SPF30 claim [Avon are apparently investigating]
They also tested a number of SPF50 creams which all seem to be “kids” versions - I suppose sun protection for children should be the best and no reason why you can’t use it (unless it is blue, as at least one of them is!). A number of those rated well and are Best Buys if you want me to list them?

Having had my younger sister die from malignant melanoma when she was 39, my life chances changed dramatically. I am much blonder and paler skinned than she was and never tanned, just going lobster and peeling back to my natural pale self. I have used Ultrasun 50+ for the last 20+ years...and have even managed to tan with it. I have sensitive skin and use it on my face where I have significant scarring on my nose after a severe face trauma. By mixing the honey tint and original face I use it instead of foundation...the honey on it's own was too dark for me. I particularly like the convenience of the face and scalp spray...which I have also used on my arms and legs when I haven't planned being in the sun.
I'd say go for it, in a high factor to protect yourself, you can always return it if you don't like it.
Have a wonderful holiday xx

Ultrasun is the only SPF I can use that doesn’t make my eyes stream. I wouldn’t use anything else.

Ultrasun is the only SPF I can use that doesn’t make my eyes stream. I wouldn’t use anything else.
Me too!
I put Ultrasun right round my eyes, including eyelids without any irritation. I can't do that with any other products I've tried.
I found some products contain an ingredient I'm definitely allergic to. My neck swells up significantly and I'm not a reactive person.

I use La Roche-Posay sunscreens, and have lately been using the hydrating Ultra Violette facial sunscreen SPF 50.
Cult Beauty currently have 20% off sunscreens with the code SUN.
Everyone seems to rave about Ultra Violette, I’ve never tried it because I only wear spf when sitting in the sun, I do like the one for lips as it has a tint.

How exciting have a great time !
Personally I think it’s great .. we take it to canaries every year and never burned .. I wouldn’t use anything else whilst there .
We apply mostly once a day unless having had a swim .. and of course it depends how much you apply as an individual.. but for years we have used 👍
Same here :)

Everyone seems to rave about Ultra Violette, I’ve never tried it because I only wear spf when sitting in the sun, I do like the one for lips as it has a tint.
Yes, I have used it, but only on the face as an everyday protection. My rosacea goes nuts at the slightest hint of sun, I get a red rash on my face. As it is Australian and for me, they were the first to push skin cancer warning.

Having had my younger sister die from malignant melanoma when she was 39, my life chances changed dramatically. I am much blonder and paler skinned than she was and never tanned, just going lobster and peeling back to my natural pale self. I have used Ultrasun 50+ for the last 20+ years...and have even managed to tan with it. I have sensitive skin and use it on my face where I have significant scarring on my nose after a severe face trauma. By mixing the honey tint and original face I use it instead of foundation...the honey on it's own was too dark for me. I particularly like the convenience of the face and scalp spray...which I have also used on my arms and legs when I haven't planned being in the sun.
I'd say go for it, in a high factor to protect yourself, you can always return it if you don't like it.
Have a wonderful holiday xx
I’m so sorry to hear that My dear late mum had skin cancer on her leg and I’m absolutely sensitive to decent cream .. 👍
Same here :)
🤩 👍 it goes quite a long way too doesn’t it ?

Latest posts

Back