'The' letter

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The Letter

Yeah, sorry Margaret, having re-read my post I can see my statement was as clear as mud. By 'A return means there is something wrong with the goods' What I meant but failed to say clearly was that if the purchaser buys something that doesn't live up to what one might reasonably expect, which (in my opinion) includes wrong goods sent, doesn't appear to be as described on screen, damaged goods, previously used goods being sent out without being checked etc then they could be ligitibly described as having 'something wrong' with them' from the purchasers point of view. The only occasion I would question that is if someone purchased an item with the intention of using it for a short time and did this on a regular basis, and believe me, it does happen. I've known people to buy clothes for a special occasion and then return them but even then, that's what the 30day mbg covers you for. We're constantly being told '.....and if for whatever reason..........just send it back within the 30 day period and we will refund the purchase price with no question or quibble' Please don't think I was trying to justify QVC's attitude, far from it I'm a firm believer in customers right to return unsuitable goods, for what ever reason. Also, I did write that post at around 5am:confused:*
The only phrase which I would question from the above post is "a return means there is something wrong with the goods". Is that really true? I'm sure many people just change their mind. I can't really understand why viewers return as many as 50% of their purchases UNLESS they're faulty. Just think of the wasted P&P!! And that is probably why the P&P is so high - to compensate for the returns. I appreciate that they push the 30 days MBG and that's why viewers get annoyed with 'the letter'. I'm probably tempting fate now! Maybe the next few orders will disappoint!

Every product purchased is backed by our 30-day money-back guarantee for extra peace of mind. So, if you decide you'd prefer a different colour, size or a refund, just return it to us within 30 days of receipt using the enclosed returns label. The postage and packaging however, will not be refunded. You'll need to include your QVC membership details and order number too.

This is straight from the QVC website, so surely they have no grounds for moaning about returns.

Well yes and no. If QVC's main medium for sales was the internet then yes, because the customer would be instructed to confirm that they understand the terms and conditions prior to purchase. However, QVC's main medium for sales is their TV Shopping Channel where we, the customers, are bombarded with misleading information from the presenters that we can return anything for any reason and I've never heard them say "well yes you can return the TOVA perfume (for example) as long as you order a replacement!!"

I really think that Trading Standards should be called in.

That said, I know there are people who abuse the system - I know of someone personally who regularly orders skincare, syphons some off and returns the rest and also buys holiday clothes that they return when they get back from hols. But who can blame them when the Presenters entice them to return anything?!

Just wondering - Has anyone ordered the Buccleaugh or lime tree pantry stuff, only to cook it, and then decide they don't like it? Do QVC want the half eaten goods back??!

Sally x

Who knows it would be well gone off it is left sitting in the warehouse for as long as most returns are before being sorted and a refund given. I have heard he presenters saying that the 30 day money back guarantee applies to food as well as all he other items QVC sell. May be we should give it a try!!

Hello all!!!

...ok so you probably all already know this, but I thought I would share anyway, you know, just in case!! Lol!!!!

So because of the methods QVC sell by not being face to face where the customer is on hand to touch, smell, see, test the product before making their decision to purchase, QVC are bound by the Distance Selling Regulations. This means that the customer HAS to have 7 working days as a 'cooling off' period in which they are allowed to change their mind about a product they have been sold or contract they have entered into. Should the customer change their mind during this time, the company involved MUST accept the return. They can request information regarding why the product has been returned, but the customer is under no obligation to give this information.

In the case of QVC, they are offering a 30 day returns policy, but this is still covered by the terms of the DSR, and as such is subject to the same regulations.

If anyone wants to have a wee read about it all, then this is the link to the Office of Fair Trading web site. Its amazing how much that these sites use as a unique selling point is actually enforced upon them!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/legal/distance-selling-regulations/

The DSG dosent allow you to use items tho , they have to be returned in the condition you receive them,

Also the right to cancel does not apply to the following, unless you agree otherwise:

personalised goods or goods made to a consumer's specification
goods that cannot, by their nature, be returned
perishable goods (eg flowers, fresh food)
un-sealed audio or video recordings or computer software
newspapers, periodicals or magazines
betting, gaming or lottery services
services that begin, by agreement, before the end of the cancellation period providing the supplier has informed the consumer before the conclusion of the contract, in writing or another durable medium, that he will not be able to cancel once performance of the services has begun with his agreement
goods or services, the price of which is dependent on fluctuations in the financial market

QVC's 30 day MBG is in addition to the DSG

They bang on about QVC being the only place you can try out software and still return it.

I'm getting worried about returning too much reading all this. I'm sending back two floating pearl necklaces...one pulls to the front and the other has broken one of the clasps. Just got a necklace and it doesn't sit right, so got to ring them again and say givusarefund....which I was going to do earlier today but the ironing just kept screaming for my attention.

Also I received my Lenny Deighton 10 piece set on Thursday...tried out the varnishes which I love, but didn't look in the other three pots. And yuck I did tonight, one looks as though someone has had their fingers in it, scooped out a try out for themselves. Lid did seem easy to open....

Anxiety setting in....

It's awful when you are scared to send something back, incase of getting the Letter. QVC urgently need to inform viewers, of exactly what the 30 day mbg means. It is disgraceful to mislead there customers, when they are sending out these Letters or contacting customers via telephone. :confused:

This seems ludicrous, are you getting wrong for returning items you don't want for any reason at all? whats wrong with that? thats one of their main claims everytime you watch it. You should be able to buy and return every item you get should you wish.

Gawd almighty, they get worse.

The money back guarantee is a very important part of their sales pitch. How often do you look at something and would like to consider a little longer whether you want it or not, but invariably you are told it is going quick, it is better to order it and then return it if you do not like it, rather than lose it.

Many a time during a show I have thought I would like something but I find if I decide not to buy it then but to think about it and leave it until later I discover I do not really need it at all. So by saying MBG they probably make more sales than they would (which probably goes towards the presenters sales assessment).

There are many people who consider that if the product is not faulty, by returning the goods and paying yet another lot of postage, it is better to keep the item. So some sales are made through the MBG which would not have been.

I guess they have weighed up whether it is worth their while to frighten someone into not sending stuff back again, or whether it is less profitable for them to keep someone who does send a lot of stuff back. I shouldn't think a big company like QVC do not have advisers and statisticians telling them which customers are expendable and which are not.

They make more money by telling people they have a no quibble money back guarantee, than they lose by stopping the account of a customer who actually takes them at their word. They do stick to a large percent of their MBG and from some of the messages I have read here, send a lot of returns to customers on waitlist, and therefore I would suspect a certain amount of them will not be sending it back for various reasons.

Lilian

Hi Guys

I had "the letter" and found James ( the man on the phone ) to have a lovely sexy voice. he was awful nice to me. He explained everything to me in such a way that i went week at the knees. I hope he will be in contact again!

xxxxxxxxxxx:):):)

I think it's a darn cheek too expecting you to call them about something they want to speak to you about, and not the other way around. Hope it was a free phone number they gave you.

I would be tempted to ring, just to find out what they have to say, as I don't like things "hanging over me".

Think it's a right cheek personally, as they do assure their customers of a no quibble mbg, which is obviously not true. I suppose I can understand that in very execptional circumstances that they may approach customers if they are literally ordering stuff every day and sending it back, but even then imo, there approach should take a more "apologetic" stance....ie, we are concerned that you may not be happy with the quality of our goods sort of thing.

Anyway, Sally don't take any cr*p from them!

Latest posts

Back