Thomas Kinkade - paragon of wonderfulness?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Kinkade is one of the top 15 artists in history

Does it really matter what type of ‘person’ Kinkade was? Surely we should be judging him on his art? You don’t see people turning there nose up at a Picasso because he was fond of the opium, or dismissing the renaissance masterpieces of Caravaggio because he murdered his pal over a tennis match, or knocking Richard Dadd’s fairies because he was a paranoid schizophrenic. Not to mention Vincent van Gogh who cut off his ear and gave it to a prostitute. Kinkades character flaws pale in comparison to some of those artists. I am not a huge fan of his art personally, but you cant dispute the mans success and popularity. And he did his fair share of humanitarian work too, especially with the ‘make a wish’ foundation. surely BID TV selling art from one of the most collected artists in the world is a good thing? or does the 'nit-picking' over a dead mans private life epitomize this forums desperation to always find something to moan about when it comes to BID TV?

I wonder what would happen if Stephen Gayford became a painter of light? The meerkats would be fluorescent! :grin:

Bingo that post was almost as good as one of LORDWIRRALOFASA

Why can't you be like ms wings? There is a fine line between banter and rudeness and you are way over to rudeness. I guess when you have no valid argument that's all you have left to turn to.

Does it really matter what type of ‘person’ Kinkade was? Surely we should be judging him on his art? You don’t see people turning there nose up at a Picasso because he was fond of the opium, or dismissing the renaissance masterpieces of Caravaggio because he murdered his pal over a tennis match, or knocking Richard Dadd’s fairies because he was a paranoid schizophrenic. Not to mention Vincent van Gogh who cut off his ear and gave it to a prostitute. Kinkades character flaws pale in comparison to some of those artists. I am not a huge fan of his art personally, but you cant dispute the mans success and popularity. And he did his fair share of humanitarian work too, especially with the ‘make a wish’ foundation. surely BID TV selling art from one of the most collected artists in the world is a good thing? or does the 'nit-picking' over a dead mans private life epitomize this forums desperation to always find something to moan about when it comes to BID TV?

It does matter when Bid TV are trying to make out Thomas Kinkade was a paragon of virtue: I made my original post after watching Peter Simon talk about the artist as if he had been the second coming of Jesus. How great his faith was, how dear his family was etc. etc. All set to lighting and a soundtrack that the Songs of Praise production team would have rejected as being OTT. The poor old ducks Mr Simon tends to target would have lapped all this up.

All well and good, except that wasn't Thomas Kinkade at all. Unfortunately, the man ended his life with a massive drink and drug problem, and due to his overcomplicated love life no has his wife and girlfriend fighting over his estate.

What does that have to do with his art? Nothing. But it DOES have everything to do with how Bid TV was choosing to present and sell these pieces, almost as if they were holy relics. And that IS wrong. It's playing on the vulnerable and needy. And that is a nasty way for anyone to do business.

It does matter when Bid TV are trying to make out Thomas Kinkade was a paragon of virtue: I made my original post after watching Peter Simon talk about the artist as if he had been the second coming of Jesus. How great his faith was, how dear his family was etc. etc. All set to lighting and a soundtrack that the Songs of Praise production team would have rejected as being OTT. The poor old ducks Mr Simon tends to target would have lapped all this up.

All well and good, except that wasn't Thomas Kinkade at all. Unfortunately, the man ended his life with a massive drink and drug problem, and due to his overcomplicated love life no has his wife and girlfriend fighting over his estate.

What does that have to do with his art? Nothing. But it DOES have everything to do with how Bid TV was choosing to present and sell these pieces, almost as if they were holy relics. And that IS wrong. It's playing on the vulnerable and needy. And that is a nasty way for anyone to do business.

So are you saying that someone who drinks CAN'T be a family man? and CAN'T claim to have faith in god? That someone who has a problem with drugs is a despicable human being and Can't be described as a family man either? That they are expelled from the church and are not allowed to have faith because they are struggling with addictions? That's all a bit 'daily mail' for me I'm affriad. To dispute a mans love for his children because his love for his wife faded
is pretty poor form. And To dismiss his faith too? Really?

This all leads us to the inevitable conclusion for any post which is peppered with sensationalism that it's a strategy to take advantage of the vulnerable. 'groan'

Highly creative and artistic people are often prone to moments of rebellious behaviour but it's sometimes down to their burning desire to do things that others don't, or simply can't, achieve. I feel it's important to try and understand the mindset of these talented individuals and embrace their overwhelming qualities.

Kinkade certainly wasn't the only artistic person that exhibited 'leftfield' traits. Others that spring to mind are Emin, Hirst, Dali, Brash.

Highly creative and artistic people are often prone to moments of rebellious behaviour but it's sometimes down to their burning desire to do things that others don't, or simply can't, achieve. I feel it's important to try and understand the mindset of these talented individuals and embrace their overwhelming qualities.

Kinkade certainly wasn't the only artistic person that exhibited 'leftfield' traits. Others that spring to mind are Emin, Hirst, Dali, Brash.

you forgot Macdonald!

We all know there are endless articles about The Painter of Light™ but this one particularly interested me. It made me think that Kinkade and Sit-Up really are a perfect combination and that the great man would be delighted that people like Lisa Brash and Steve MacDonald, who have the knowledge and experience to really appreciate his work, help to keep his light shining brightly. Long may it continue.

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/09/thomas_kinkade_the_george_w_bush_of_art/

Talking of art, the expert one is getting a new stamp

Well peeps wish me luck off to get my new Michael Jackson tattoo, scared but excited see you all later xxxx

This one?

tattoo.jpg

That's lovely :wonder:

I'm wondering where she's going to have it

This is a popular tattoo parlour in South Shields. I heard a rumour it's that popular they have a waiting list, the Brash family alone allegedly have them booked up until next Christmas.

tattoo.jpg valonia-tattoos.jpg

As for the placing of the actual tattoo? I dread to think.

Last edited:
This is a popular tattoo parlour in South Shields. I heard a rumour it's that popular they have a waiting list, the Brash family alone allegedly have them booked up until next Christmas.

View attachment 9311 View attachment 9312

As for the placing of the actual tattoo? I dread to think.

Looks a very plush place, I expect 'me Mam' is having the same done

Looks a very plush place, I expect 'me Mam' is having the same done

They usually say to young people that they'll regret getting inked when they're older.

At least the tattoo artist will know that that isn't the case when a 40 year old woman visits their parlour.

Last edited:
They usually say to young people that they'll regret getting inked when they're older.

Very true, for example my brother had one done about 7 years ago and he wishes he never got it. It took from 9.15am until 4.30pm to complete & even then he had to go back and have it touched up.... even now he said it was total agony. He really regrets his, I am 50/50 about mine but I only got mine done to hide a big operation scar on my upper arm.

Latest posts

Back