Tomato feed for flowers?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You've maybe been over feeding Griz and some plants don't need feeding at all. I have to say I've a big tub of cosmos that are all leaves and no buds but the ones in the ground are blooming - all fed with flower power but I maybe overdid the tub ones.

CC

What flowers/plants are you growing ?
It's the hanging geraniums that have beautiful, healthy dark green leaves, but not a bud to be seen. Granted, we have had weird weather here. Years of blistering drought and then, this year, weeks of rain. But the geraniums, being annuals, shouldn't have suffered from that. Could I have been over generous with the feed and did the rain make the plants bolt? I love working in the garden, black nails and all, but too many failures make me want to chuck it all in.

It's the hanging geraniums that have beautiful, healthy dark green leaves, but not a bud to be seen. Granted, we have had weird weather here. Years of blistering drought and then, this year, weeks of rain. But the geraniums, being annuals, shouldn't have suffered from that. Could I have been over generous with the feed and did the rain make the plants bolt? I love working in the garden, black nails and all, but too many failures make me want to chuck it all in.
You maybe fed them a bit early, it is often recommended to not feed until the first flower buds show, but I have been feeding mine - when I remember - and have flowers coming. Maybe feed a lot more diluted or hold off for a while. Plants under stress kick out flowers in case they die, I know my geraniums that are neglected seem to put out a lot more buds, so I try and hold off and then feed them to keep them going. I have some that have survived for years and I am always just about to give up and dispose of them when they say, hold on, I am going to spring into life again :cool:

You maybe fed them a bit early, it is often recommended to not feed until the first flower buds show, but I have been feeding mine - when I remember - and have flowers coming. Maybe feed a lot more diluted or hold off for a while. Plants under stress kick out flowers in case they die, I know my geraniums that are neglected seem to put out a lot more buds, so I try and hold off and then feed them to keep them going. I have some that have survived for years and I am always just about to give up and dispose of them when they say, hold on, I am going to spring into life again :cool:
Yes, thank you, I'll hang on. I've heard that geraniums don't mind a bit of neglect. I'm just loving them too much, I suppose. Do you take geranium cuttings in the autumn for the next year? The marigolds that I planted from seed are leggy and about one foot tall. But they do have flowers. Not a successful year for me. The hydrangeas are huge, but too heavy, so they are drooping on the ground, and are all a strange shade of aenimic grey.

Yes, thank you, I'll hang on. I've heard that geraniums don't mind a bit of neglect. I'm just loving them too much, I suppose. Do you take geranium cuttings in the autumn for the next year? The marigolds that I planted from seed are leggy and about one foot tall. But they do have flowers. Not a successful year for me. The hydrangeas are huge, but too heavy, so they are drooping on the ground, and are all a strange shade of aenimic grey.
I do take some cuttings, through the year I tend to stick any bits I cut back into pots and see what roots and then some more late in the year. I have quite a lot that I put into a shed over the winter and let them dry out, most seem to survive and I haven't really lost anything if they don't. I did have a couple that stayed on the outside of the shed under a wooden overhang that had survived for at least 5 years, but the really low temperatures this winter finished them off. I'm struggling with tomatoes this year, they are very leggy with not much sign of flower, except a couple of bush types I grow in hanging baskets that are looking great. I cut back one of my big hydrangeas quite hard that was doing the same as that and it seems to have bounced back.

I think geraniums are one of those that thrive on a bit of neglect. I always fed my poppies and they were always rubbish then I got some from P2G and it said do not feed on the instructions and plant in poor soil. I did this and this year they are amazing! Don't give up on your plants, as others have said, hold off the feed until the flower buds form and don't over water. Not that I'm any kind of expert lol.

CC

My baskets etc have been planted up about 5 weeks now and are in or about to be in full bloom. I will start feeding today until end of Aug to get a constant show into Sept.

I'm sure I've killed many a plant by too much love! I have to say the summer plants that I got from P2G on Q are doing really well with a bit of rain and flower power when I remember. I'll try and take some photos.

CC

Latest posts

Back