Update - coated diamonds!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

thats what i love about this sight if you need to know anything regarding jewellery then someone will know thank you for this info with out you guys a lot of us would be ripped of for being trusting of these companies

Let us hope that you are right on this count Cherub. However I would think that someone from Gems may have seen this thread by now and hopefully would be preparing a response. Staying silent or leaving us to have to pursue them for answers is quite unsatisfactory.....imho.

My last coloured diamonds purchase was a Cognac Diamond ring, so I'm really hoping that the diamonds in it are 'pucker'........as Del Boy would say!

I'm hesitating in posting this up Sacha because I'm still reeling from the shock that Gems have sunk to such a low level as to do this. However .... I haven't heard of brown/cognac/champagne diamonds being coated or treated. The reason is that they're readily available in small sizes and not generally expensive. Having said that, the Thai burning labs may well have come up with a way of coating diamonds to become brown but if so, I'm not aware of it. I'm going to do some digging for you and will PM you but I think you're ok.

That's very kind of you Meesh indeed. The code for this ring is UMR4994 and has one larger and some smaller diamonds set in 18k gold. We have always believed that that the cognac / champagne / brown colours more likely to be natural, but in view of this recent information.....you have to wonder!

Now this has also made me wonder about the new batch of pieces set with Mulberry (Purple) diamonds?? Though they have been quite pricey, the ones I've seen on sale.

I wonder how many calls and emails gems have had today about treatments on their diamonds? If only they had been honest and upfront in the first place!

I'm going to email GemsTV now and ask them for a list of the item numbers that contain coated diamonds ........... will update you all as soon as I hear back.

I'm also going to ask for specific confirmation about when they started to sell coated diamonds (ie. from which date) because I know this is a real worry for everybody.

I am actually quite shocked by this too. I don't mind heat treated stones, or irradiated stones, or even some other treatments as long as all treatments are declared and it's reflected in the price.

Coated stones, on the other hand, do not interest me at all. It sort of seems like cheating - painting a stone to improve the colour.

Thanks gemcherub for highlighting the issue and Meesh for chasing it up x

Copy of email to GemsTV:

Dear xxxx

You recently emailed my friend, xxxxxxx, in connection with her query regarding coated diamonds.

You will appreciate that GemsTV selling coated diamonds is seriously concerning for consumers who have bought coloured diamonds from GemsTV in the past. Customers were always led to believe that the diamonds were HPHT/irradiated or natural and that GemsTV did not sell coated diamonds.

Therefore, to allay fears, can you please confirm the following:-

(a) When did GemsTV begin to sell coated diamonds i.e. year and month.
(b) Can a guarantee be given that coloured diamonds prior to that date were either HPHT/Irradiated or natural?
(c) What colour diamonds have been coated - I believe it is yellow, pink, green and blue. How about the brown and purple ("mulberry") diamonds?
(d) Are GemsTV going to sell these diamonds with the title "coated" in TV auctions to ensure the buying public are aware of exactly what they are buying? Topaz is sold in this manner and therefore it would be fair to assume that this should be the same with coated diamonds.
(e) Given the fact that coated diamonds have a long term colour stability issue AND there are issues with the care of a coated -v- irradiated diamond, are you giving care advice to buyers? If not, do GemsTV intend to do so?
(f) Please provide a list of those products that contain coated diamonds.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: You can bet your life that the "mulberry" diamonds are coated also. I wonder if the coated diamonds all have stupid names???? Were the blue, pink or yellow ones called a funny name?

I would say thats it is just the new studs as they were so low in price, but hopefully they will reply to Meeshoo and we will get the details we need!
Thank you so much for chasing it up Meeshoo.

I'm also rather relieved that I returned the 'Evergreen' (did rather think that an odd name to describe the colour of a diamond) earrings as I would suspect that it may be that the other colours are coated also

Oh what a brilliantly ironic name. How on earth can you call stones with a non-permanent treatment EVERgreen???

Would be hilarious if it weren't such a serious issue.

Oh what a brilliantly ironic name. How on earth can you call stones with a non-permanent treatment EVERgreen???

Would be hilarious if it weren't such a serious issue.
Yes, isn't it? Can we consider this a good example of an 'oxymoron'? mysmilie_1436

And my thanks again to Meesh for sending that email and for posting its contents.

They're calling some of the yellow diamonds "canary"... I thought that was a bit odd, since this is not a name normally used to describe yellow diamonds in the industry...

I suppose I shouldn't be shocked at this news looking back at how low Gems have sunk in so many other ways. I've always hated the coated topaz stones they sell with silly names, but this is just another step down the slippery slope.
It actually makes me feel rather sad when I think back to the excitement I felt in the early days when I was switching on to Gemstv. I enjoyed it so much back then and there was always something to tempt me. I tried to watch last night but only lasted a few seconds because Lucy was on and some of the rubbish they sell now is just unbelievable. They do still have lovely pieces from time to time, but I don't think it's worth the effort for me anymore.

I had my doubts when it came to the evergreen diamonds too! I have never heard of evergreen diamonds before, well not until now anyway!! The name just makes me think of pine trees for some unknown reason - so one can assume then that the chocolate diamonds that they have been banging on about are coated too? In fact all the weird named new diamonds must be viewed as being coated.

Grief they are hoiking out some cackapoo at the moment, in the death throws of grasping at the last minute sell. what with the Lily Allen range, and now the Ailesha Dixon - I thought gems were brought up on a mantra of "we only sell real gems!!" well not anymore - any way, i have really lost interest in gemstv, it has lost something, oh I know, its SOUL! We are either treated to presenters that sound like they should be at Blackbushe Market!! or they scream at you! If gems do read these postings, perhaps they should realise it is time to cease flogging the dead horse. Harsh but true. Fortunately for me I have been introduced to Amazon.com - got ALL the family their xmas presents from there - now I am a Amazon.com addict - honestly if you have never been on it, do yourself a favour - spend 10 minutes on it, it sells everything - I have even managed to find a lovely print of ferrets!!! (love ferrets and chickens too!!) Thats it rant over for this morning, I am back off to bed!! lol - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I still buy quite a bit from Gems TV via the website, but I very rarely watch it (unless there's something I'm particularly interested in like the rainbow sapphires).

My advice to anyone would be to keep an eye on the website, including the web auctions, clearance and shop sections, and if you see anything you want in the shop contact PS to see if you can get it cheaper. This is definitely worth the effort, but watching isn't, I'm afraid!

What a disgraceful situation! I haven't bought from Gems for well over a year now and have absolutely no intentions of ever buying from them again. Apart from their massive price hikes, I haven't seen anything I'd give house room to of late!

Just one thing about the "coated" situation. Correct me if I'm wrong (yes I know someone will!) but the only company I've seen who actually use "coated" in the title or description is TJC who always say "coated" Topaz. Additionally they always say "treated" diamonds when applicable too. Why can't Gems and the 'other lot' be upfront and honest like TJC? The fact they hide everything certainly stinks of dishonesty and deceit as far as I'm concerned.

Latest posts

Back