Very Inapporpriate things guest presenters say

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

yorkrose26

Registered Shopper
This is a rant and I make no apologies for this, but the guest presenter of Emu was on with Charlie yesterday and when she found out that he was a Christmas Day baby, she made a comment that I found not only very insensitive but almost bordering on blasphemous. She said that as she was born on Christmas Day that we should start worshiping him.

I have had cause to cringe at some of things she has said before, she likes to portray herself as someone relaxed and 'friendly', but that is fine if that is your style, but with that comes the responsibility of 'thinking before speaking' and clearly this is not something that she does. I was very upset by what she said, the problem is though is if she doesn't think before she speaks no kind of warnings are going to affect her, no I think another comment similar to this and she should stop presenting this and allow the other person who sometimes does EMU (and other clothing brands), as she seems more professional anyway.

Sorry for the rant just infuriated me that was all

This is a rant and I make no apologies for this, but the guest presenter of Emu was on with Charlie yesterday and when she found out that he was a Christmas Day baby, she made a comment that I found not only very insensitive but almost bordering on blasphemous. She said that as she was born on Christmas Day that we should start worshiping him.

I have had cause to cringe at some of things she has said before, she likes to portray herself as someone relaxed and 'friendly', but that is fine if that is your style, but with that comes the responsibility of 'thinking before speaking' and clearly this is not something that she does. I was very upset by what she said, the problem is though is if she doesn't think before she speaks no kind of warnings are going to affect her, no I think another comment similar to this and she should stop presenting this and allow the other person who sometimes does EMU (and other clothing brands), as she seems more professional anyway.

Sorry for the rant just infuriated me that was all

Why did it upset you so much? You surely don't think she meant it literally, do you? Maybe you should lighten up!

i dont paticularly like her style but its more to do with the outright lies she tells when trying to put down the "ugg" company who are selling much better quality boots than emus. her inuendos like: some competitors use cardboard in the heel even the more expensive brands. her slippers have lasted many years when the reviews say they barely last a month. she talks a lot of rubbish. she is good at remembering the already faded boot colours so i suppose she is good for something

Why did it upset you so much? You surely don't think she meant it literally, do you? Maybe you should lighten up!

Yes YR, I would find that offensive too if I'd heard it.....

and Julius, do you know her personally? well enough to say she didn't mean it literally? If not then it might be best refraining from telling someone to "lightern up"

and Julius, do you know her personally? well enough to say she didn't mean it literally? If not then it might be best refraining from telling someone to "lightern up"

I would have found it offensive too.

We can only be grateful that DF was not born on Christmas day, as she might have taken the suggestion and put it out to her fan club.

That's a comment that I can imagine most people I know making. I'm afraid you have to accept that we now live in a secular country where the majority couldn't care less about what you consider to be blasphemy. The newspapers printed a survey a few months ago which showed that over 70% of Brits now say they have no religious faith. The remaining 30% are divided between a number of different religions, which means that the number of people who care about the religious meaning of Christmas is now pretty small. I think you'd have a tough job persuading most people that this personable young lady should lose her job because she said something that the majority of Brits would say and would laugh about themselves.

That's a comment that I can imagine most people I know making. I'm afraid you have to accept that we now live in a secular country where the majority couldn't care less about what you consider to be blasphemy. The newspapers printed a survey a few months ago which showed that over 70% of Brits now say they have no religious faith. The remaining 30% are divided between a number of different religions, which means that the number of people who care about the religious meaning of Christmas is now pretty small. I think you'd have a tough job persuading most people that this personable young lady should lose her job because she said something that the majority of Brits would say and would laugh about themselves.

Surely they can only make that bold claim if they asked every single person in the UK, every single person, they didn't ask me, or anyone I know, if they did then I'd tell them I consider myself a Christian, C of E and proud of it.

. . .. and Julius, do you know her personally? well enough to say she didn't mean it literally? If not then it might be best refraining from telling sqomeone to "lightern up"

I doubt there is anyone who would believe that she literally meant we should all get on our knees and worship Dale!

I doubt there is anyone who would believe that she literally meant we should all get on our knees and worship Dale!

Never said she did, just meant you can't make a comment on what she really meant unless you know her personally.

Surely they can only make that bold claim if they asked every single person in the UK, every single person, they didn't ask me, or anyone I know, if they did then I'd tell them I consider myself a Christian, C of E and proud of it.

Good for you. But when the C of E confirms that two churches a month are closing because of lack of a congregation, and the Archbishop of Canterbury says Britain "is no longer a nation of believers" and is "a post-Christian nation", I see no cause to doubt it.

I don't know her at all, Shopper, however I cannot imagine anyone advocating a shopping telly presenter (or anyone for that matter) is worthy of worship by dint of the day on which they were born! It's just utterly ridiculous and people taking offence to that absolutely SHOULD lighten up! I understand that some people have devout religious beliefs - fine by me - but this doesn't mean that they have to take offence when absolutely none was intended. I'm sure if Jesus Christ existed he might look at matters with some humility and possibly a little chuckle from up there in the sky or wherever he happens to be. It wouldn't say much for his status as "perfect" if he didn't. We get all sorts of problems when people take religion too seriously - whatever religion that may be. People like to belong to a "club" and feel under threat when their chosen ideology is criticised, mocked or called into question. I sometimes wish there were no religions, then perhaps humankind might stop killing each other over what is no more than an unproven, basal, personal belief. In my view being extremely religious is like a schoolkid having an imaginary friend in the playground, asserting: "My imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend!" It's all about one-upmanship and is really quite silly! Of course I don't know whether God / Allah / whoever/ exists or not, but then neither do you or does anybody else! I don't see much to support the existence of any supreme being / deity. I think the world is amazing and interesting but not evidence in itself of the existence of God, whether it be "a" god or "the" God - the real one, the definite article, in whose omnipotence we are meant to trust. I guess people would rather have their imaginary friend than suffer the realisation of a cold, fleeting and transient existence on Earth with absolutely nobody up there watching over.

Well I understand the true meaning of Christmas, and I respect it. I would have found it funny if I had heard it though. I disapprove more of those who cry "blasphemy" if someone makes a joke, draws a cartoon, writes a piece of journalism... whatever.

I don't know her at all, Shopper, however I cannot imagine anyone advocating a shopping telly presenter (or anyone for that matter) is worthy of worship by dint of the day on which they were born! It's just utterly ridiculous and people taking offence to that absolutely SHOULD lighten up! I understand that some people have devout religious beliefs - fine by me - but this doesn't mean that they have to take offence when absolutely none was intended. I'm sure if Jesus Christ existed he might look at matters with some humility and possibly a little chuckle from up there in the sky or wherever he happens to be. It wouldn't say much for his status as "perfect" if he didn't. We get all sorts of problems when people take religion too seriously - whatever religion that may be. People like to belong to a "club" and feel under threat when their chosen ideology is criticised, mocked or called into question. I sometimes wish there were no religions, then perhaps humankind might stop killing each other over what is no more than an unproven, basal, personal belief. In my view being extremely religious is like a schoolkid having an imaginary friend in the playground, asserting: "My imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend!" It's all about one-upmanship and is really quite silly! Of course I don't know whether God / Allah / whoever/ exists or not, but then neither do you or does anybody else! I don't see much to support the existence of any supreme being / deity. I think the world is amazing and interesting but not evidence in itself of the existence of God, whether it be "a" god or "the" God - the real one, the definite article, in whose omnipotence we are meant to trust. I guess people would rather have their imaginary friend than suffer the realisation of a cold, fleeting and transient existence on Earth with absolutely nobody up there watching over.

Whoa! For goodness sake take a chill pill, Julius. This is a shopping forum, and we are entitled to say that we find someone making stupid remarks about Christ rather silly and offensive to people in a country where Christianity is the established religion.Her job was simply to demonstrate boots, preferably without grovelling to the telly presenter in a ludicrous way.

I don't want to get myself banned but for christ sake sake lighten up
Also might I just add that having a life threatening illness puts all this trivia into perspective ... Life IS too short... Get over yourselves please

Whoa! For goodness sake take a chill pill, Julius. This is a shopping forum, and we are entitled to say that we find someone making stupid remarks about Christ rather silly and offensive to people in a country where Christianity is the established religion.Her job was simply to demonstrate boots, preferably without grovelling to the telly presenter in a ludicrous way.

Absolutely, excellently put. I think because someone makes a comment that they find something said insensitive, must translate in to we're making placards and marching up and down outside QVC towers, shouting and screaming our disgust. :mysmilie_17: it's a comment, a simple observation.

Me too! I'm watching all the Christmas films on Freeview and have been for a good few weeks. Now I'm on a two week break I'm hoping to catch the one Peter Falk is in as an angel! :mysmilie_8:

Latest posts

Back