Very Inapporpriate things guest presenters say

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

What is it about so many "religious" people that often makes their behaviour so stupid? If it's religion then there's a good case for getting rid of it. Under no circumstances did that guest suggest with any seriousness that a presenter should be worshipped by dint of the day on which they were born. That anybody would do such a thing is just absurd. It's like the animal rights advocates who object to Basso's faux furs being sold on QVC telling us to boycott QVC. Those self-same people then feel all self-righteous yet go down to their local supermarket that likely sells all manner of products that have been sourced and reared in questionable circumstances. They don't boycott the supermarket because of the value chicken wings it sells from the hormone-fed, light-starved chickens that are crammed 27-to- a-cage. I am sick to death of "religion" used to validate, justify and promote ignorance. To me nothing is exempt from being called into question. I am sick to death of people seeing offence where there is absolutely none intended and I will not pander to the fragile, fickle sensibilities of those who try to cry over something trivial that has "offended" them. The whims of ignorant people who feel all self-righteous because they use a bar of soap, the packaging of which bears a leaping bunny symbol, while they walk down the road in their leather shoes to buy a chicken for their dinner (the provenance of which they neither know nor care about) matter not to me. I am sick and tired of the climate of fear this faux "offendedness" brings. Oooh someone cast a slur on your "religion," did they? Jesus Christ! Allah hu akhbar! Get over it! Your religion is still there! Your thoughts are still there! You are still there! Nothing has hurt you!
Religion should not be sacred or unquestioned.

Ellaaa that's your opinion, after all we're all different and can't tell people what comment they should or shouldn't get offended by, I thought telling her "to lightern up" was rude where as someone else mightn't think that it is, so swings and roundabouts.

I've been told what I should or shouldn't find offensive on this forum. The freedom of speech card is played regularly but we don't have absolute freedom of speech even in this democracy, it's tempered by the public order and insightment laws so slurs about race, sexuality, religion and disability are limited and the list will probably grow to include other minorities in the next 10 or 50 years.

I agree with Brissles about politeness and civility and I taught my kids that if they find themselves starting a spoken or written statement with the phrase "no offence but.." they should reflect on whether they should proceed as they've already acknowledged that they may offend. It's a phrase that should be avoided along with "TBH" or "in all honesty" It's less about censorship and more to do with making themselves self-aware and their own editors. There are plenty of topics that I wouldn't raise amongst say work colleagues, but anyone raising topics like race and religion have to be open to opposing views, because minimising someone's faith is akin to verbally attacking their parents or dearest relative. That said, I'm happy to tell someone I don't share their faith but I know theirs and mine share a huge commonality and I'd never deny my capacity to cause offence. Is that limiting my freedom of speech? Yes I'm choosing to limit it.

QVC is a weird entity, originating in the American culture of conflicting TMI opinionated over-politeness. QVC UK mostly follows this template with Alison Young apologising profusely for a guest saying they "looked like crap". To my ears the apology was more awkward and cringeworthy than the word "crap".

I'm surprised they'd repeat that Emu clip with a religious joke in it and maybe they'll play a different clip in future if they read this thread. It's not worth them alienating a few potential customers when they must have hundreds of innocuous sales babble clips they could use instead.

i dont do "religion" but i believe in a god and jesus and his teachings. i believe in loving your nieghbour and being the best i can be as a person but i know i am not perfect and dont profess to be.

some people use religion to legitimise the most wicked and cruel acts to other human beings.

Sorry Julius and Akimbo I only read the first line of your comments because I could see were they were going, but I'll say it for the last time, all I stated was that I didn't like Julius telling a woman to "lighten up" just because she was offended by a comment made by a guest presenter, that's it! Nothing more, nothing less! so were all this psycho babble has come from is beyond me. I don't get easily offended, not even that the same people feel the need to have a little dig, let them crack on. :mysmilie_17: it's all irrelevant so let's get back to what the forum is about.......shopping! :mysmilie_14:

Be as offended as you like! Live in ignorance if you like! Just do it by yourself and don't project your offendedness or ignorance onto me or anyone else, thank you.

Be as offended as you like! Live in ignorance if you like! Just do it by yourself and don't project your offendedness or ignorance onto me or anyone else, thank you.

This is really getting quite ridiculous, descending into personal abuse. "Live in ignorance" is just plain rude. I stuck up for you a few weeks ago, Julius, when someone was being personally rude about your writing abilities, as I would assume that most of us on this forum would like to stick to Nanny's old phrase "play nicely".

Sorry Julius and Akimbo I only read the first line of your comments because I could see were they were going, but I'll say it for the last time, all I stated was that I didn't like Julius telling a woman to "lighten up" just because she was offended by a comment made by a guest presenter, that's it! Nothing more, nothing less! so were all this psycho babble has come from is beyond me. I don't get easily offended, not even that the same people feel the need to have a little dig, let them crack on. :mysmilie_17: it's all irrelevant so let's get back to what the forum is about.......shopping! :mysmilie_14:

I agree already commented that maybe it should be closed.

Be as offended as you like! Live in ignorance if you like! Just do it by yourself and don't project your offendepdness or ignorance onto me or anyone else, thank you.

People need to show respect for other people's beliefs, thoughts etc IMO.

People need to show respect for other people's beliefs, thoughts etc IMO.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree totally, live and let live.

The topic of religion aside, I do detect quite a bit of hypocrisy on this thread. I have read far worse on this forum than someone being told to "lighten up". Some people are forgetting some of their past posts perhaps? Surely the OP is entitled to be offended if they want to, and Julius is entitled to say lighten up, as long as he can back it up (which he does) then it's ok to agree or disagree. Many of the quickest people to take offense are the first to dole it out when the topic suits.

The worst thing about this forum is how often people call for a thread to be closed just because others are voicing opinions that differ from theirs. Heaven forbid that other people might have the opportunity to express a contradictory viewpoint.

The worst thing about this forum is how often people call for a thread to be closed just because others are voicing opinions that differ from theirs. Heaven forbid that other people might have the opportunity to express a contradictory viewpoint.

No I wasn't objecting to differing views but just the tone of some posts. I had not posted anything.

You're wrong, couldn't be any further from the truth if you tried, I've even tried to diffuse this thread a few times but to no avail. People can have their contradictory viewpoint, course they can! It's when a thread turns ugly, nasty and makes for uncomfortable reading that I think it should be closed, post #47 proof in point, also when people reply to the "poster" and not the comment, for that reason and that reason only. I won't be visiting this thread again no matter what, have a good evening.

You're wrong, couldn't be any further from the truth if you tried, I've even tried to diffuse this thread a few times but to no avail. People can have their contradictory viewpoint, course they can! It's when a thread turns ugly, nasty and makes for uncomfortable reading that I think it should be closed, post #47 proof in point, also when people reply to the "poster" and not the comment, for that reason and that reason only. I won't be visiting this thread again no matter what, have a good evening.

Well don't visit then! I'm sorry but I maintain that the guest was not serious in their comment and that putting any religion / deity on a pedestal and glibly accepting its mantras / tenets is just silly. I believe religion is full of fairy tales and ritualistic nonsense! Why can't I say so?

What is there to "diffuse"? A forum is a reflection of life. People hold differing views and if they're talking about something that means a lot to them they can become strident in voicing their opinion. So what? We're all grown-ups and we deal with this every day in real life. I haven't found anything in this thread "uncomfortable" to read, and if someone does there's nothing that says they have to continue reading the thread.

Latest posts

Back