Very Inapporpriate things guest presenters say

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I believe religion is full of fairy tales and ritualistic nonsense! Why can't I say so?

Sometimes there's a difference between 'can' and 'should' - I guess I believe there is a time and a place to give opinions on something as personal as religious beliefs. I tend to fall into the 'I don't mind what people believe in as long as they don't force their opinion on me or impact negatively on my life' camp.

I might think they are crazy, naive or whatever - our thoughts are private - but I wouldn't necessarily feel the need to openly disagree with someone over their religion as I'd respect their personal choice.

It's also the way something is said. It's perfectly possible to say that you don't believe what someone else believes without belittling them or their beliefs.

What is there to "diffuse"? A forum is a reflection of life. People hold differing views and if they're talking about something that means a lot to them they can become strident in voicing their opinion. So what? We're all grown-ups and we deal with this every day in real life. I haven't found anything in this thread "uncomfortable" to read, and if someone does there's nothing that says they have to continue reading the thread.

Lol ! reading this thread THATS hard to believe !

My final thoughts on this are my mother was an atheist but she (not once in her whole life) ever told anyone they were wrong to have a faith - and there is a difference between faith and religion. She always taught me growing up that it was ignorant and arrogant to tell someone that they were wrong if they believed in God (any God).

And on a very personal note I lost a husband and a daughter because of a religious difference and I have NEVER blamed or condemned or criticised that religion. My beautiful family were killed by the ignorance and arrogance of man equivalent to that shown on this thread by some posters.

My final thoughts on this are my mother was an atheist but she (not once in her whole life) ever told anyone they were wrong to have a faith - and there is a difference between faith and religion. She always taught me growing up that it was ignorant and arrogant to tell someone that they were wrong if they believed in God (any God).

And on a very personal note I lost a husband and a daughter because of a religious difference and I have NEVER blamed or condemned or criticised that religion. My beautiful family were killed by the ignorance and arrogance of man equivalent to that shown on this thread by some posters.

I am sorry for your loss, Window. Not once have I ever told anyone that they are wrong to have a religion, however I have said that it is naïve and silly to just glibly accept something without questioning it. It amazes me how people can get so upset when their views are called into question. There is much about religion that can and should be questioned. So much evil is done in the name of "religion" I am not convinced it's a good thing at all. Religion fractures families and causes division. I personally tend to have a more logical mind. I see and believe what can be seen, proved and tested. Just because someone has an urge to feel or do something, it doesn't make it right, does it? Paedophiles are arguably following a natural urge. Just because they profoundly believe or feel something, does this make them right? Of course not! What if it were their "religion?" What then? Would their actions be right? Of COURSE NOT! So why should "religion" be used to legitimise things which out of context of religion are unacceptable? I just don't like the way religions classify people. So it's OK to have a child when you're married, but not otherwise? Why? What difference does a ring and a bit of paper make to anything? It's not acceptable to use contraception? Why? I really don't get it! One can have morals and decency without the need for "religion." Religion causes ignorance and division. It really is the "opium of the masses."

I understand what you're saying about the evil done in the name of religion; it's been in the news since before the crusades. Less newsworthy is the good done by people with faith. In the UK our legal system and our collective and individual moral compass has an origin in the beliefs of Christianity, Islam and Judaism. Civilised society is propped up on a system of beliefs whether it's tagged a religion or not.

I think someone should be able to say they are offended by something without being jumped on. Somehow we respect all sorts of things about people, but it seems to be open season against anyone with a religion. My religion promotes tolerance of other faiths, and that includes people who have no religion, but sometimes atheists seem to feel they can knock a person's belief in God and label it ridiculous. As soon as someone says their religious beliefs are offended, there is a rallying cry of "freedom of speech"... Well, that freedom of speech should also apply to people of faith to express what they believe.

I think someone should be able to say they are offended by something without being jumped on. Somehow we respect all sorts of things about people, but it seems to be open season against anyone with a religion. My religion promotes tolerance of other faiths, and that includes people who have no religion, but sometimes atheists seem to feel they can knock a person's belief in God and label it ridiculous. As soon as someone says their religious beliefs are offended, there is a rallying cry of "freedom of speech"... Well, that freedom of speech should also apply to people of faith to express what they believe.

People can believe in what they like. Let them believe in Father Christmas if they want to! I just think they should not bristle when their religion or beliefs are called into question.

Some people have a religious belief, some do not. And there are a multitude of varieties of beliefs of equal merit. IMHO if someone is offended by something they absolutely have the right to say so. Just as someone else should have the right to disagree with them. What, I don't believe anyone should feel comfortable doing, is ridiculing anyone's belief, no matter how different it may be from their own. Why anyone would want to do that, I can't imagine. Whatever happened to respecting one another?

Some people have a religious belief, some do not. And there are a multitude of varieties of beliefs of equal merit. IMHO if someone is offended by something they absolutely have the right to say so. Just as someone else should have the right to disagree with them. What, I don't believe anyone should feel comfortable doing, is ridiculing anyone's belief, no matter how different it may be from their own. Why anyone would want to do that, I can't imagine. Whatever happened to respecting one another?

Logic, common sense and science should prevail. If we carried on thinking as we always did, we'd think that the Earth was flat! I am not in the least concerned with pandering to the fragile sensibilities of those who wish to believe in Father Christmas, unless they happen to be under 5 years old, in which case I would indulge them their naivety - but grown adults - - no way! That presenter did NOT mean any offence with what they said and it was downright stupid for anyone to take offence to it. I am sick of this "offence" and the climate of hypersensitivity and fear it breeds. I am almost pleased in a way that some people are offended by such trivia - serves them ****** right!

It's totally out of control now with what you can and can't say,I see Jereemy Vine is in trouble for saying Man Flu,I despair.

This is all getting boring now. I'm at the age where I say what I want, and if anyone's offended, tough - that's your problem, and I couldn't give a monkeys, so sue me or hang me !

This is a rant and I make no apologies for this, but the guest presenter of Emu was on with Charlie yesterday and when she found out that he was a Christmas Day baby, she made a comment that I found not only very insensitive but almost bordering on blasphemous. She said that as she was born on Christmas Day that we should start worshiping him.

I have had cause to cringe at some of things she has said before, she likes to portray herself as someone relaxed and 'friendly', but that is fine if that is your style, but with that comes the responsibility of 'thinking before speaking' and clearly this is not something that she does. I was very upset by what she said, the problem is though is if she doesn't think before she speaks no kind of warnings are going to affect her, no I think another comment similar to this and she should stop presenting this and allow the other person who sometimes does EMU (and other clothing brands), as she seems more professional anyway.

Sorry for the rant just infuriated me that was all

Going back to the original post, I can see that you were upset by what she said, and that's your prerogative to be upset. But that doesn't mean that 'she should stop presenting this'... People get upset about all sorts of things, without their deserving to be castigated or pilloried for it. Being upset is part of living in a democratic society with 'free' speech. Same as the right to offend, and be offended.

You rarely find anyone over 60 using the words 'offended or inappropriate', because they were brought up in an age to be polite and know their manners. Ask yourself, who's to blame ?

This is all getting boring now. I'm at the age where I say what I want, and if anyone's offended, tough - that's your problem, and I couldn't give a monkeys, so sue me or hang me !

I think actually trying NOT to offend someone is the height of good manners - not caring about others is the opposite.

People take offence.

As long as i am confident i did not intend to offend, then people can take offence to their heart's content.

And even if someone intends to give offence, why take it?

I always find it very useful to identify Huffers asap. People who get offended easily (not just talking about religion here) are usually people i want to avoid. Life is too d*mn short. I prefer to enjoy the company of tolerant, open minded, questioning, people, whatever their religious beliefs.

Last edited:
I think actually trying NOT to offend someone is the height of good manners - not caring about others is the opposite.

Blimey, you do your homework don't you. or is it just me you have a downer on ? yes, we were brought up in the age of politeness, but I've given up now - if you cant beat them, then join 'em !!!! although I DO say please and thank you - unlike this generation !

Gosh this has turned into a right 'bun fight'! And all from a very innocent comment?!
I am Christian (although quite liberal in my beliefs) and I heard Sarah the Emu guest's comment and didn't find it in the least offensive. It was obviously not meant literally nor said with the intent or awareness that it may offend. I think it was just an off the cuff joke. She's not the most articulate person at times and I imagine she intended it as a bit of banter.

However, whether we agree or not, the OP *was* offended by her words and is completely within her 'rights' to start a thread saying as much!

Oh and whilst I'm here, the thing I did find offensive was all the digs at the younger generation not having any manners?! I'm in my mid thirties was brought up to have very good manners, as do my 3 young nieces and nephews!

Gosh this has turned into a right 'bun fight'! And all from a very innocent comment?!
I am Christian (although quite liberal in my beliefs) and I heard Sarah the Emu guest's comment and didn't find it in the least offensive. It was obviously not meant literally nor said with the intent or awareness that it may offend. I think it was just an off the cuff joke. She's not the most articulate person at times and I imagine she intended it as a bit of banter.

However, whether we agree or not, the OP *was* offended by her words and is completely within her 'rights' to start a thread saying as much!

Oh and whilst I'm here, the thing I did find offensive was all the digs at the younger generation not having any manners?! I'm in my mid thirties was brought up to have very good manners, as do my 3 young nieces and nephews!

Good post TLL. I've bought my sons up to have good manners and know many older people who could do with some lessons in manners.

Latest posts

Back