Whither QVC?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

T

thatu

Guest Shopper
What with all the recent schedule changes, brands disappearing, others on far too much eg beauty, excessive p&p not to mention excessive prices, I wonder what direction QVC is planning to take? Yes, it's to make money, but how? Surely there must be a game plan, but I can't fathom it out.

It's like that old saying, if it's not broke don't fix it, seems like QVC are trying to fix an awful lot these days.

According to some of their blurb,they are expanding the gardening side of things and the money they get from these shows has increased substantially.

Just imagine Richard Jackson day ,or a gardening spectacular weekend.

Seriously though,the dependence on brands must have diminishing returns eventually ,because people get used to them,want change or to try something new and don't buy as much as they did.Even avid collectors like Lulu Guiness will stop buying repeat items .

The TSV cancellations must be a blow to Q, I certainly would have been interested in the Sak but I have too many beauty products so I'm not buying....and don't get me started on Ultrasun......

Maybe it should be wither QVC?

Last edited:
QVC go with what sells big, so that is Beauty, Fashion and Diamonique.

They will be reformatting their website soon, its going to look like the US version, but without the community forum on the latter.

QVC go with what sells big, so that is Beauty, Fashion and Diamonique.

They will be reformatting their website soon, its going to look like the US version, but without the community forum on the latter.

Shame about the forum - but it would need moderating and that's probably beyond their skillset.

What other departments could they consider stocking?

Or how could they give more variety in the departments they've already got?

I remember a few years back they did a series of shows showcasing Israeli jewellers. Out of that, I think the only one still regularly on air is Or Paz, but it was nice to see some variety, even if the items were in smaller quantities... if they want to call themselves an exclusive boutique, that should be celebrated, not grounds for shuffling suppliers out the door. They had some lovely and affordable silver jewellery from India which has totally disappeared as well.

A bit less "back in stock" would help. Don't they realise that if something keeps coming back in stock it removes the cachet of having it. Obviously with consumables like face cream its a bit different, but for jewellery or fashion maybe less repeats (2 years on, a fashion item either never was, or never will be, the latest trend).

But above all they have to deal with the P&P issue. While one lot of P&P could be justified as competetive with the cost of visiting the dreaded high street, but if you are buying multiple items for your family while out shopping, the cost of visiting the DHS becomes very good value compared to QVC.

Last edited:
According to some of their blurb,they are expanding the gardening side of things and the money they get from these shows has increased substantially.

That's interesting because if it's live plants then QVC will be acting as a drop-shipping company; no stock in their actual literal warehouse, but acting just as an order handler. The other garden products, which are available at supermarkets, like plant food, weed/moss killers and solar lights take up warehouse space for quite low unit prices so maybe we're going to see completely new ranges?

The US QVC forums started before social media took off so Q UK probably think it's not worth starting, now they're so active on Twitter and Facebook.

That's interesting because if it's live plants then QVC will be acting as a drop-shipping company; no stock in their actual literal warehouse, but acting just as an order handler. The other garden products, which are available at supermarkets, like plant food, weed/moss killers and solar lights take up warehouse space for quite low unit prices so maybe we're going to see completely new ranges?

The US QVC forums started before social media took off so Q UK probably think it's not worth starting, now they're so active on Twitter and Facebook.

On the forum front, I think QVC might find themselves outmatched and outclassed by this forum we all know and love :mysmilie_50:

In all honesty I think they've done well to hold on through the past few years, look at all the casualties on the high street.

As long as they've got that USP of the 30 day MBG (and a weirdly loyal fanbase on facebook etc) they'll keep going, albeit with fewer brands and smaller ranges.

There has been a large change in shopping habits over the last 20 years.

When QVC started, I found one of the best things about it was that you saw a product, and if it was on air, it was IN STOCK. No disappointment of trailing round town, only to find they haven't got the size/colour you want. Added to that the 30-day mbg and it was attractive. Carrying large stock is expensive and doesn't 'look good' on the balance sheet and most large sellers don't carry volumes, e.g. electrical appliance retailers, DIY, furniture and the increase in internet shopping has boosted many of these companies. Amazon, starting as a bookseller, now fronts multiple companies as a shop window and has invested in its website and delivery methods. I'm pretty sure Q is trying to reduce its stock volumes, hence waitlists and advanced orders and, to me, that is a turn-off as I can usually get these brands elsewhere, quicker and cheaper. Add to that the fact that many brands which were once hard to get other than on Q, are now widely available.

I don't think they are likely to disappear any time soon but the future certainly looks more samey and much less interesting!

It does seem that they are scratching around rather aimlessly these days but I don't think they will be too worried. What is more surprising to me is the offerings on the Other Channel. They have really gone down the pan and I haven't tuned in for years. If they are making money then Q must be laughing. Mind you, if they think the future lies in more slug killers, bendy hoses and garden gnomes it'll be adios from me.

I don't shop with The Other Channel much anymore, but they certainly have better deals and do things like keep easy-pay options in place long after the show has ended, and have capped P&P and so on. Until recently, their presenters were much more watchable too - shame they've let a few bad apples into the mix. Their main problem is that they just don't have much of interest anymore, but QVC is rapidly heading the same way.

thing is all the beauty channel really is bits & pieces they have recordered & re-recordered from the main channel so if they did a garden one it would be the same & its the same with Q style & extra

I was recently telephoned by a market research company to take part in a survey (normally I put the phone down), for Q !! I did it with relish ! Of course the questions are loaded, but there were a lot of "no's" from me, ending with the likes of.... would I like to make further comments...... I did, and made plain my feelings on P & P, American fashion, the Groundhog day of TSV's on a loop etc etc and I continued in this vein for a full 5 minutes; the poor researcher then asked if I would be happy for a follow-up call because of my disgruntles, and I said "yes, bring 'em on" - I'm still waiting.

Perhaps they'll start a separate 'QVC Garden' channel, like the beauty one? That'll be nice. (Not.) :mysmilie_11:

It would be nice! Well for gardeners like me and I totally understand if you're not into gardening or not into Mr Jackson. Personally I like him and he got me into gardening a few years ago when I really had not much else in my life apart from work. I agree with Supercool though, re-records are no good, it needs to be real shows. I do buy a lot of garden things from cheap shops and direct from suppliers but I also buy RJ's products and the progress I have made over the years using flower power etc is pleasing. Not for everyone but then I'm not into makeup and handbags so each to their own :mysmilie_59:

CC

Of course. Horses for courses, I always say. I don't buy handbags and make up much either, I think we are all just wishing there was a bit more variety than of late.

I use Q for info on products & then go & source them on the web to compare prices.I hate paying the P&P on QVC but at times it is (still an expensive) option but you can return for a refund as I did recently.It is so easy to be dragged in & ordering on a whim.I ask myself if I had to go into a shop would I decide on (?) item and hand over actual cash? No guessing what the answer is!!

Latest posts

Back