Who the heck makes their own crackers?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ellaaa

Registered Shopper
And if so, why would you put items inside them that cost £10-£20 per item?

(Actually I think it's fine if you make your own crackers, I'm more bothered about every QVC presenter suggesting anything small could be put inside your home made crackers)

I had to smile at the Radley lady the other day, when the presenter said people could buy some Radley keyrings (£11 each plus P&P!) to put inside their home made crackers she had a look on her face that said "What the hell, are you mad??!" Even she thought it was a ridiculously expensive idea.

Then last night a man was trying to flog mini torches as great gifts to put inside your home made crackers. Hilarious.

Last edited:
i am crafty but not that crafty...i find it irritating enough buying the dam things

In any case, you can buy some crackers from a shop and then put in a more personalised gift yourself by opening them up a bit, then re-assembling.

QVC just get more and more ridiculous don't they? Alison O'Reilly was twittering on about putting diamonique earrings in a cracker or using them for a secret Santa! They were £18. That's more than l would spend on my best mates present. It must be lovely to live in QVC world.

Well, I suppose in London where even a coffee costs a tenner, then £18 to them is just pocket change ! They MUST realise there IS a world outside the M25 where real people live who do not have bottomless purses, and where talking of spending 30 or 40 quid on presents for friends and secret santas just never happens !

Lol ...All those days spent with the kids with loo roll inners trying to make something resembling crackers. They very soon realised the shop bought ones were more fun. That's the point I think,fun not expensive gifts In them.

Q's suggestions are getting ever more surreal.

I get mine for the following xmas in the New Year sales at half price!:mysmilie_19:

OMG I'm not in the Xmas spirit at all I just spent a couple of minutes reading this thread thinking it was about making your own crackers (ie savoury biscuits). Even talking about putting things in didn't make me twig just confused.

In my defence I've had less than 3 hours sleep today after a nightshift last night and have a lot on my mind but sometimes I seriously worry about myself. :mysmilie_17:

Well, I suppose in London where even a coffee costs a tenner, then £18 to them is just pocket change ! They MUST realise there IS a world outside the M25 where real people live who do not have bottomless purses, and where talking of spending 30 or 40 quid on presents for friends and secret santas just never happens !

Well in Mayfair perhaps or people like the Beckhams, but this resident of London would never do what the Q suggests. These teachers' gifts, dog walker gifts etc etc at spiralling prices really get on my wick! Coffee has never cost me more than a fiver, but a bottle of wine in a wine bar last week did set me back £25, and that was the cheap end of the list!

I bought some lovely sets of crackers in Boots 3 for 2 Christmas offers. One set of crackers contains either a No 7 lip gloss or nail polish, another set contains mini Soap and Glory products and the third set contains Champney minis. There were 6 crackers in each set so that`s 18 small gifts already nicely packaged.

the worse culprit is alexis. table gifts.making your own crackers laden with small but pricey goodies

I think QVC are still in the process of figuring out how to get a Green Seasons Hamper inside a cracker, then it'll be "take a cracker round to a friends house when invited for dinner instead of a bottle of wine!".........Yes that sounds silly, but no more silly than making your own crackers and sticking 20 quids worth of Diamonbleek in it, you'd need to remortgage if you've got a shed load of people coming round, more so if they want to pull a few crackers each. :mysmilie_17:

Or the awful LoL Coral saying that a pair of 50 quid plus postage earings for a stocking filler.

When I had family members staying over the Christmas holidays I have done small table gifts (bought in sale or special offer) but that was instead of stockings or crackers or any other bits and I did find this was cheaper in the long run as no matter how small a stocking was it took a lot to fill it and one thing was nicer than bits.

Of course when you are buying kitchen aids for all and sundry what is a pair of earrings?

Well, ladies and gents, my mum always made our Christmas crackers years ago and put in really cute little goodies. We weren't particularly posh or fancy, she just liked making things. I remember someone getting a tiny little mouth organ once and it actually played. She must have gone to a lot of effort to find things small enough. Those little torches would have been ideal! She doesn't do it now - £4 for a box of 12 from Morrisons and that will have to do.

It annoys me when they say "stocking fillers" on QVC and the item is over £10 or £20 or even more. That's a main present in my eyes. Stocking fillers are bags of nuts, chocolate coins and soap on a rope (can you still buy those?). I'm showing my age.

CC

I heard the mini-torch guy the other evening and the thing about putting them in DIY crackers. The first thing I thought was what if the two people on each end of the cracker were pulling hard and the torch flew out and hit someone in the face (as has happened with me but fortunately only a small plastic whistle).

By the way, those mini-torches with keyring attachment (carabiner) at £10 + £2.95 have two 1-star and one 5-star review on QVC. If you are still interested though, they have a set of four on Amazon for £2.69 with free postage - ie less than what QVC are charging for the P&P alone! Unless you think the four matching boxes QVC offer are worth the extra £10.26?

Last edited:
Loads of folk make their own crackers, and I think it's nice to put a bit of thought into the contents, but aren't crackers intentionally a bit naff? I thought that was part of the fun.

Soap on a rope....that does bring back memories from the late 70s! I recall my mum buying them for my male cousins who were teenagers and past toys.....but I don't remember them being particularly pleased to receive them! I remember my brother getting one and hanging it over the bath tap and it evaporated over the course of a few baths rather than his usage (he was going through a wee smelly phase at that moment in his life!!) :giggle:

I heard the mini-torch guy the other evening and the thing about putting them in DIY crackers. The first thing I thought was what if the two people on each end of the cracker were pulling hard and the torch flew out and hit someone in the face (as has happened with me but fortunately only a small plastic whistle).

By the way, those mini-torches with keyring attachment (carabiner) at £10 + £2.95 have two 1-star and one 5-star review on QVC. If you are still interested though, they have a set of four on Amazon for £2.69 with free postage - ie less than what QVC are charging for the P&P alone! Unless you think the four matching boxes QVC offer are worth the extra £10.26?

Sorry, forgot to include the Amazon link - thought I'd risk them so have ordered but doubt they'll arrive by Christmas.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EC8D2RY/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

Latest posts

Back