why did i buy it in the first place?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Snarly

Registered Shopper
I was congratulating myself that I won't be buying the TSV. Then remembered a Cook's Essential I've never used. Pressure cooker. In the back of the cupboard in the kitchen. Nice and shiny as the day I unpacked it. It's humongous and had my brain been capable of understanding litres I would never have ordered it in the first place. Oh heck, who am I kidding, I didn't get the PintsIntoQuarts thing either! I kept it 'cause it'll-come-in-handy-one-day. Yeah, right ...

ebay? maybe?

seems a shame to waste space in your kitchen that can be filled up with other useless gadgets :cheeky::tongue:

Car boot? I manage to recoup (albeit a small %) some money wasted on QVC at car boots; watching stuff selling for less than the original Q p&p helps sharpen my resolve not to buy too much in future.

Off at a tangent: My pressure cooker is suitable for my induction hob but because the hob seems to switch on and off, sorry hard to explain (perfectly normal for induction) but this means it's nearly impossible to raise the perfect pressure of steam and maintain it consistently. As a result the widget thingamy keeps dropping, releasing the steam and even standing over it switching the ring temperature up and down doesn't help. So now I'm left with just a huge pan. I really liked pressure cooking - spag bol in minutes f'rinstance. Anyone got any advice?

Jude xx

I have a juicer thats still in the box unused on a shelf in the utility room, its been there about 3 years :-(

Imagine if you could send all the unwanted stuff back to QVC you have bought over the years and get your money back, i would be rolling in it:cheeky:

Early days of married life I bought a pressure cooker 'cos mum always used one. Mine, being "modern" had a dial system, mum's originally had weights. I nearly broke my arm trying to get the lid off mine :taphead: Gave it away to a friend with more sense!

Car boot? I manage to recoup (albeit a small %) some money wasted on QVC at car boots; watching stuff selling for less than the original Q p&p helps sharpen my resolve not to buy too much in future.

Off at a tangent: My pressure cooker is suitable for my induction hob but because the hob seems to switch on and off, sorry hard to explain (perfectly normal for induction) but this means it's nearly impossible to raise the perfect pressure of steam and maintain it consistently. As a result the widget thingamy keeps dropping, releasing the steam and even standing over it switching the ring temperature up and down doesn't help. So now I'm left with just a huge pan. I really liked pressure cooking - spag bol in minutes f'rinstance. Anyone got any advice?

Jude xx

I know what you mean, I have an induction hob too and it 'pulses' on and off, drives me silly at times.

Thanks everyone for sharing ;) Akimbo, you have saved me some hassle. I, too, have an induction hob! so would have the same problem. I learn so much on here; good-to-share.

Ladies, the answer to why you bought it in the first place must be that it seemed like a good idea at the time. Guilt absolved?

Akimbo - I sympathise. I used to love my pressure cooker but am currently renting somewhere with an induction hob and I hate it with a passion, you have to stand over it constantly to adjust it. Vile object. I have seriously considered buying one of those portable gas burners (Halfords £14.99 type thing), standing it on top of my induction hob and then sticking the pressure cooker on top.

Ladies, the answer to why you bought it in the first place must be that it seemed like a good idea at the time. Guilt absolved?

I think guilt is the common denominator of members of this forum.
Strato, if you are reading, turn that printer box into a table with a pretty cloth and sweet dish. Printer inside optional (for stability purposes!) :hi:

I have an induction hob (£29 from Lidl) and I have it on top of my gas cooker as I prefer it.

It does pulse on and off to control the temperature, but when you have got used to it, it is great.

For example, when I cook rice, I use setting 3, which keeps it at a nice simmer, although it still goes on and off.

You lot are way better than therapists. I was once in dire straits, I paid a pound for a winter coat in a charity shop, it was all I could afford. When out of that predicament, I went a bit OTT because I was no longer scrimping and analyzing every single purchase. Thankfully, the pendulum isn't swinging so erratically any more, to Qs loss. Very astute comments of LoveInAMist and SpringFlower. Our Resident Therapists!

I have an induction hob (£29 from Lidl) and I have it on top of my gas cooker as I prefer it.

It does pulse on and off to control the temperature, but when you have got used to it, it is great.

For example, when I cook rice, I use setting 3, which keeps it at a nice simmer, although it still goes on and off.

I have induction too and I love it. It took a while to get used to it but once you have the knack, it's great!

I can't make proper gravy on my induction hob because it beeps at the roasting tin over-lapping two rings; I know it's easy enough to transfer the meat juices to a pan but it's not the same somehow. It also beeps if you tilt a pan so no shaking the contents of a pan, or flipping pancakes.

Jude xx

I can't make proper gravy on my induction hob because it beeps at the roasting tin over-lapping two rings; I know it's easy enough to transfer the meat juices to a pan but it's not the same somehow. It also beeps if you tilt a pan so no shaking the contents of a pan, or flipping pancakes.

Jude xx

That is exactly like mine, so frustrating. The only reason I went for an induction hob was because I had previously had one of those single work top ones that I bought from QVC, it was great, a real good buy. I'm sure it was more responsive than the built in one that I now have and I don't recall having problems with it ( until it got destroyed in my kitchen fire).

I think some induction hobs are better than others and I regret buying the model that I have, even though it wasn't cheap.

You lot are way better than therapists. I was once in dire straits, I paid a pound for a winter coat in a charity shop, it was all I could afford. When out of that predicament, I went a bit OTT because I was no longer scrimping and analyzing every single purchase. Thankfully, the pendulum isn't swinging so erratically any more, to Qs loss. Very astute comments of LoveInAMist and SpringFlower. Our Resident Therapists!

now you made me sad :( glad things have got better (((hugs)))

Janie, thank you for the (((hug))), and one-back-at-ya. All is well in SnarlyWorld. I am now content. Have cosy den, lots of food, plenty of eeek for my paws! Have decided to give pressure cooker to SallyAnne where I bought that coat on £1 day-they have a cafe in the shop. It'll be full-circle. And will bundle my taking-up-space creams|nail polish|shampoos for the local women's shelter. Oh, why did I not think of this before? uh-oh, that sounded like that bad thing, guilt. lol

snarly - i've often thought about donating stuff to a women's shelter but i don't suppose they exactly make it public where they are? is there a phone number to ring?

Latest posts

Back