Work done?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have written before on another thread, my late wife, who was an A&E matron in some of the big hospitals in the East and West Midlands for many years, and gave her whole career to looking after people and the NHS, was essentially finished off by the negligence of our local GP surgery. The GP at the time did everything she could to avoid coming out to see my wife or to offer her the option of being brought into the surgery by me, misdiagnosed her symptoms I had clearly pointed out were sepsis related in my view, and then prescribed her packet antibiotics for cellulitis. 20 days later also my wife was dead from sepsis at 57.

Receptionists at GP surgeries now seem to have taken on the role of surrogate doctors in many cases. I have absolutely no desire to tell a receptionist what is wrong with me, let alone go into details of the symptoms. They are there purely to make an appointment for a patient to see a GP - either on a routine or emergency basis. They are NOT there to nor are they qualified to, make assessments on whether they think patients should be seen by a doctor or not. How this appalling system has been allowed to become the norm is bordering on criminal to me.

When my mum, back in the ‘60s, had what was called then a tubal pregnancy - ironing my selfish father’s shirts at home on a weekend when he was down the pub, seeing another woman, or both, her GP, who knew her by first name (as he did all his patients, had a sixth sense she was unwell, rang her, and when he got no answer, went to our flat, looked through the letter box and saw her collapsed on the hall floor. Because of his actions my mum received medical attention in hospital and although close to death, survived. Can you imagine that situation happening today with the sort of multi-GP surgeries we have now where they don’t even know or care who you are when you walk through the door let alone would worry about you outside of the surgery!! That’s if you can even get anywhere near to seeing one at all.

For me, I have absolutely nothing to do with the surgery I felt responsible for certainly giving my wife a more painful death than she would’ve had, had they intervened at the correct time. I dread even walking past the place. If I want to see a GP now I see one privately via BUPA, and pay well over £100 to do that. Fortunately, from my wife’s misfortune, I am currently in a financial position to be able to do that, but many people, of course, cannot do that, and are stuck with this appallingly incompetent system that we have got worse during and beyond the pandemic. I feel the Pandemic has been a godsend for them, as I think they were actively looking for a definitive excuse to push patients further and further away. Nowadays, post her death, I always see a GP privately. I get half an hour with them, they sit and talk to me take an interest in me, and properly investigate anything that may or may not be wrong with me. This used to be, many years ago, the service you’ve got at your local NHS GPs. No longer.
That's so bad, particularly as the NHS let her down after her years of service to them.

At my surgery its difficult to even get a telephone appointment. My hospital consultant requested that I get my GP to manage my medication. Simple I thought, just have to contact them to put it on a repeat prescription. Obviously struggled to get through but when I did was told the GP pharmacist would call me. Got a missed call from a withheld number (I was in a meeting at work). After a few days didn't hear anything and had to contact again (only on hold for 30 mins) to be told that they made an appointment for me, phoned and I didn't answer so they don't phone again! In total rang three times, they claimed to have rung but no missed calls. By then I had run out of meds, was stressed and in pain. Was eventually was given an emergency month's supply. But still had to speak to a GP to get it properly prescribed. However I had my yearly hospital consultation appointment a few days later, told him my tale of woe and he agreed to keep prescribing from their end. My condition is rheumatoid arthritis and is massively affected by stress.

It should have been a simple process, I wouldn't have objected if the GP wanted to examine me before prescribing. If I had the money I would go private.

Everything you say is so true and it's no wonder A&E is engulfed.
Hubby contracted COVID last week and due to him being "at risk" and he isn't, as the GP he finally spoke to said 90% of men his age would have some hardening of the arteries and the anomaly on his liver was a cyst which ,apparently, is quite common.
Anyway due to this he was sent some lateral flow tests and reported his positive test. He got a text back saying he might be contacted by them to offer an anti viral medication. This morning (Easter Monday) he had a telephone call from our local hospital and after a chat regarding how he was feeling etc he told them although he is still testing positive he was feeling better. He was then told if he starts to feel worse to contact his GP(?) or dial 11.
No wonder rates are rising hubby's had a text from NHS re COVID and it says that from 10th April if he feels well and no temperature he is ok to go out???
Obviously he won't go anywhere until he tests negative.

I'd love to know what qualifications the receptionists have in order to triage patients.
The receptionist always asks why you want to see the doctor. Your reply can be heard by everyone in the waiting room. Maybe she needs the info in order to pass it on to the doctor so that he can triage the patients. In any case, it's appalling that a receptionist is given the power to question patients.

The best thing about seeing a GP privately is not having to be stopped at surgery border control for interrogation by somebody with their broomstick parked on double yellow lines. Well, your Majesty, I want to see the doctor because I have the most appallingly copious diarrhoea. In fact, if you don't let me see the doctor now, I'm going to have to relieve myself all over your surgery floor... That normally gets you thrown out at least.

You get none of this booking your appointment to see a GP privately online. Of course, you are asked then why you want to see the doctor, but that is between you and your interface, and not somebody who has lost a fiver and found a halfpenny, chewing a wasp in a busy public area. When you get to the BUPA surgery, you are greeted politely by the receptionist, offered a drink, and certainly never interrogated. The GP then comes out to greet you, shakes your hand and welcomes you by name. They don't come out in a space suit and expect you to be wearing a mask and a virus protection suit as it would be at my local surgery still.

If I can avoid it, I will never use the NHS again for anything unless I'm carried away in an ambulance without choice. I've seen my father and my mother finished off in the most undignified of styles at the Whittington Hospital in London, and my wife hurried on her way by some scared idiot of a GP who chose to ignore stark symptoms of sepsis in her. Never willingly again.

The best thing about seeing a GP privately is not having to be stopped at surgery border control for interrogation by somebody with their broomstick parked on double yellow lines. Well, your Majesty, I want to see the doctor because I have the most appallingly copious diarrhoea. In fact, if you don't let me see the doctor now, I'm going to have to relieve myself all over your surgery floor... That normally gets you thrown out at least.

You get none of this booking your appointment to see a GP privately online. Of course, you are asked then why you want to see the doctor, but that is between you and your interface, and not somebody who has lost a fiver and found a halfpenny, chewing a wasp in a busy public area. When you get to the BUPA surgery, you are greeted politely by the receptionist, offered a drink, and certainly never interrogated. The GP then comes out to greet you, shakes your hand and welcomes you by name. They don't come out in a space suit and expect you to be wearing a mask and a virus protection suit as it would be at my local surgery still.

If I can avoid it, I will never use the NHS again for anything unless I'm carried away in an ambulance without choice. I've seen my father and my mother finished off in the most undignified of styles at the Whittington Hospital in London, and my wife hurried on her way by some scared idiot of a GP who chose to ignore stark symptoms of sepsis in her.
This is so very sad.

Last year I took out a private health insurance.It is an amount for me but obviously can pay it.I keep wondering if I should continue, then think yes.Thankfully my contact with GP services and NHS is very little but am getting older (mid 70s) and it is more for after care as I have no family to fullfill that role.Of course like any insurance you never know how good it is until you need it!

Is it free or do you have to pay???
I don’t live in Italy but visit the same town each year with friends. A number of the ex-pats have been caught out by ‘reciprocal health care’ as it means you get the same as the locals, not the same as the UK. Mounting healthcare issues have meant one couple have returned to the UK. So I’m pretty sure you have to pay.

We are shown these programmes (which I love to watch) where people are living fulfilled lives on continental Europe but then I think ‘ what about the healthcare’? But then in the U.K. ‘what about the heathcare’?As mentioned above I have health insurance only because having a work pension I can at the moment choose to pay it, but now in the EU?

Last edited:
Best programme is the BBC one in Australia where prospective movers look at the house prices and shopping bills they clearly can’t afford.
Then torture their family whether they’re planning to leave permanently.

Latest posts

Back