Work done?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
Just caught sight of Ali Keenan, who I haven’t seen for ages.We know she seems to have gone down the route of having facial work done.Her eyes have a slanted upwards look & cheeks filled up.I don’t blame anyone on TV or media having the odd tweeks but why do they end up looking so obviously ‘done’?Added to that the huge trainers worn with the dress?reminds me of Minnie Mouse.She is a slight build and just looks silly, but so on trend?

I think the trainers are due to a recent foot or ankle op. But white trainers always look huge on women with thin legs and big feet. Bad choice. She's usually perfectly turned out. She's probably had facial cosmetic work done and too much lifting can give you that slant eyed look. She seems to be a nice enough woman, but quite 'pushy'. Always interrupting and yacking too fast.

In all seriousness, it’s got to be tough for an older woman, still wanting to work on television in general in presentational roles; but particularly when you are employed to sell on a retail channel.

I am guessing at her actual age, but I am assuming she is somewhere in her mid-60s. The channel she works on is all about promoting aspirational image in its promos, and even more focused on how your skin looks in its presentations. I suppose it doesn’t sit well for them to have a ‘wrinkled old prune‘ selling ‘the dream’ of younger skin. No wonder older women like her in that industry are under relentless pressure to try anything they can to make themselves look younger.

Unfortunately, with her, whatever she has had done in terms of enhancements (surgical or otherwise) have gone too far - which is always a risk when you take that buying a ‘youthful look‘ path in life.

Loving the sun does not help its the biggest cause of cancer and ageing. But most of us did not know that at the time.
Yes, she can do all she wants to her face but, Alison's neck is very wrinkled. Even after having cancer, she still fried herself in the sun. I see it on TV with women who get stretched and pumped with fillers, but their necks are very wrinkled. Now, you can fix this by getting a neck lift, but these people just don't bother

I think her op was to remove bunions from both feet. She was off for a good few weeks and only back 3 weeks so she will not be wearing heels yet.

Re her face, she is very petite yet she has a large round puffed up face hiding her former fine boned facial features.

I remember her presenting This Morning as cover for Jichard and Rudy back in the early 1990s. With an Irish guy who I believe has since died - her husband at the time, I think. She was pretty good back in those days, and you assume years at QVC droning on about nothing in particular was forced upon her career wise when the mainstream TV work ended - rather than a long-term intended plan. Scripted, with a driven gallery, she was a very decent presenter. It’s when she is allowed in this type of presentation to keep talking regardless, she is desperate to watch.

In all seriousness, it’s got to be tough for an older woman, still wanting to work on television in general in presentational roles; but particularly when you are employed to sell on a retail channel.

I am guessing at her actual age, but I am assuming she is somewhere in her mid-60s. The channel she works on is all about promoting aspirational image in its promos, and even more focused on how your skin looks in its presentations. I suppose it doesn’t sit well for them to have a ‘wrinkled old prune‘ selling ‘the dream’ of younger skin. No wonder older women like her in that industry are under relentless pressure to try anything they can to make themselves look younger.

Unfortunately, with her, whatever she has had done in terms of enhancements (surgical or otherwise) have gone too far - which is always a risk when you take that buying a ‘youthful look‘ path in life.
She’ll be 63 this year. Think there were a few of them around about the same age at one time. The only reason it sticks in my head is because it’s the same as mine.

QVC's majority of shoppers are within plus minus 5 years' of A. Keenan's age. But, as you say, most women do not want a salesperson with wrinkles selling them skin care. Neither a bald headed man selling shampoo, a sickly looking old geezer selling vitamin supplements, or an overweight woman selling fashion. QVC, along with other shopping channels will persuade people to spend money they haven't got on goods they do not need. Is this too harsh a judgement?

QVC's majority of shoppers are within plus minus 5 years' of A. Keenan's age. But, as you say, most women do not want a salesperson with wrinkles selling them skin care. Neither a bald headed man selling shampoo, a sickly looking old geezer selling vitamin supplements, or an overweight woman selling fashion. QVC, along with other shopping channels will persuade people to spend money they haven't got on goods they do not need. Is this too harsh a judgement?
Nope think you've got it spot on.
Having work done and then flogging "wonder"creams. Sorry but you can't stop aging. Well not yet.

I agree to an extent. Where I differ is Qs main sales are from beauty and you have sellers and BAs who had work done. Yet they are telling us they use various products and have great results.I’ve never heard anyone talk about their enhancements.
It feels a bit dishonest.

Nope think you've got it spot on.
Having work done and then flogging "wonder"creams. Sorry but you can't stop aging. Well not yet.
I totally agree. There seems to be no happy medium when it comes to these products. The glossy mags have "children" in the adverts - Well, nobody under the age of 35 which imo are "children" in terms of aging skin. Then on the tv shopping channel presentations it's a combination of those who's skin hasn't reached that stage yet, or ones that have but have clearly chosen to go down the surgical route. Stuff "menopause your way", how about "aging your way" with products to make greying, grey, white hair shine, skin creams that purport to moisturise and make your skin feel nice, instead of these ridiculous empty promises!

I totally agree. There seems to be no happy medium when it comes to these products. The glossy mags have "children" in the adverts - Well, nobody under the age of 35 which imo are "children" in terms of aging skin. Then on the tv shopping channel presentations it's a combination of those who's skin hasn't reached that stage yet, or ones that have but have clearly chosen to go down the surgical route. Stuff "menopause your way", how about "aging your way" with products to make greying, grey, white hair shine, skin creams that purport to moisturise and make your skin feel nice, instead of these ridiculous empty promises!
The more I think about it, there is definitely a gap in the market when it comes to aging gracefully but at the moment it's all about removing the stigma surrounding the menopause. Well how about removing the stigma of getting older in general? How about some honesty "There's no miracle cream that's gonna take 20 years or more off the appearance of your skin, but there are products that can keep it feeling soft and hydrated" I've mentioned enhancing grey and white hair, but how about the cosmetics side of it too? I often see the older models plastered in brightly coloured/glittery eyeshadow, thick black eyeliner, and already prominent cheekbones highlighted with high colour and shine, and let's not forget that heavy layer of foundation sinking into all the creases. Considering these have been applied by a professional, can you imagine what it's gonna look like when applied by the arthritic hand of someone who's eyesight ain't what it used to be?!
I'm not saying that all Q's customers are of a certain age, but there is a lot of them and making them up so they end up looking like clowns/drag queens isn't the answer. They deserve to be offered tailored tips and advice and products that will make them look elegant and classy. not desperate!

Latest posts

Back