Yankee candles tip to improve burn on large candles.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

iloveshopping

Registered Shopper
I have problems with the candles tunnelling and someone suggested keeping the candles warm so I put it in the microwave for 45 seconds before lighting it. I got a much better burn. Had to remove the label as it had gold print on it and it sparked.

its such a waste when this happens. i do use any unmelted wax in my tart burner bit will try this tip. i have never had so many candles tunnel on me so it must be the cold

I agree that the cold affects tunnelling and that's a good idea. Many who have listened to Rosa will already be aware of this but for those who don't know or haven't done it the shades or illuma lids work a treat as they keep the flame tall and straight as it burns. Also remember to de-mushroom and trim the wick every time and remember to let the wax hit the sides. Unless you are going to be around for 3 hours then don't light a medium or large jar, light a small jar, sampler or tart instead.

A tip I was taught if your candle has already tunnelled is to wrap it in tin foil. Although the candle doesn't last as long because it burns quicker, it does get rid of all tunnelling. In my experience, once tin foil has been applied, it has to stay for the remainder of the candle, otherwise when it is taken away, tunnelling starts again.

I have problems with the candles tunnelling and someone suggested keeping the candles warm so I put it in the microwave for 45 seconds before lighting it. I got a much better burn.

Thanks for the tip - can this be done everytime the jar is lit ot just the first?

I agree that the cold affects tunnelling and that's a good idea. Many who have listened to Rosa will already be aware of this but for those who don't know or haven't done it the shades or illuma lids work a treat as they keep the flame tall and straight as it burns. Also remember to de-mushroom and trim the wick every time and remember to let the wax hit the sides. Unless you are going to be around for 3 hours then don't light a medium or large jar, light a small jar, sampler or tart instead.

I agree with all that except for the three hours . In my experience it takes over that, at least four hours, to get the full melt. Mind you, I never really get anywhere near 150 hours despite doing the wick thing, and the shade thing, and the full hit the sides thing..... so perhaps burning for around 5-6 hours reduces their life. Just as well I cannot move for the stock upstairs then!!!

I have never thought of warming the candle, I just make sure it is in a warm room for about a day before lighting rather than a cold cupboard and do not get tunnelling.

I normally put them in an airing cupboard or beside the radiator for a few hours before lighting them it certainly helps with tunnelling.

I agree with all that except for the three hours . In my experience it takes over that, at least four hours, to get the full melt. Mind you, I never really get anywhere near 150 hours despite doing the wick thing, and the shade thing, and the full hit the sides thing..... so perhaps burning for around 5-6 hours reduces their life. Just as well I cannot move for the stock upstairs

Yes I have to agree that I have no idea where the magical 3 hours has come from, it's hooouuurrrrsssss in reality for me, sometimes 6 hours or so to completely evenly hit the sides all the way around.

Ye gods!!!! So you have to go through all this to get a better burn on a so called high end brand candle!!!!!

Hell I am burning a Marks and Spencer Lyn Harris candle bought half price at £7.50 with 40 hours burning. Not only does it have the bunny logo on it but the glass does not get dirty or any tunnelling of any sort.

Yes I have to agree that I have no idea where the magical 3 hours has come from, it's hooouuurrrrsssss in reality for me, sometimes 6 hours or so to completely evenly hit the sides all the way around.

Don't want to sound rude...but is your wick too short? (blush)

The only time I was still waiting for the wax to hit the sides was when a) The candle was in the kitchen window in cold weather and b) I think I over-did it with the scissors.

Ye gods!!!! So you have to go through all this to get a better burn on a so called high end brand candle!!!!!

Hell I am burning a Marks and Spencer Lyn Harris candle bought half price at £7.50 with 40 hours burning. Not only does it have the bunny logo on it but the glass does not get dirty or any tunnelling of any sort.

donna i am going to make you laugh. i bought the whoe range of miller harris including the le fleur candle. it tunnelled as the wick was off centre on mine. lovely throw though.

Don't want to sound rude...but is your wick too short? (blush)

The only time I was still waiting for the wax to hit the sides was when a) The candle was in the kitchen window in cold weather and b) I think I over-did it with the scissors.

i agree if the wick is too short you wont get enough heat to melt the wax. also it depends on the wax some are softer some are harder. even the colour of yankee wax makes a difference. i agree also that 3 hours is rarely enough time

Funny you should mention colour because I find the blue ones burn really level and quick. I had ocean blossom on the go in the bathroom yesterday. It was ****** freezing in there and I thought it would tunnel but it didn't and it seemed to burn quickly. I blew it out after an hour because I was a bit worried about how quick it was burning.
On the other hand, the mango salsa in the living room (which was much warmer) and has a shade,tunnelled and it was on for 6 hours.
I have just popped it in the microwave for 45 seconds before lighting it so I will see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
I have had tunnelling in red ones Namely Christmas Eve, and New Zealand Wild Berry.I threw away a Green one- Vanilla Lime. Wish I had known about the tin foil thing before I did that.

I have not had tunnelling as such but I have had some residue round the jar from red ones in particular. I currently have cranberry artisan and cranberry ice on the go and they have red bands going round the jar. My all time fave was evening air (navy) and that also left residue on the jar. The cleanest burn for me is usually from the white candles. I like the dark colours though!!!

Tight, the microwave works an absolute treat.......get pinging girls:mysmilie_8: thank you

I have had tunnelling in red ones Namely Christmas Eve, and New Zealand Wild Berry.I threw away a Green one- Vanilla Lime. Wish I had known about the tin foil thing before I did that.
You could have dug the wax out and put some of it in the tart burner.

I have had awful tunnelling with white candles especially Fluffy Towels and Mistletoe and Fig. The Fluffy towels burnt awful black too. I will definitely try the tin foil in future.

I have had awful tunnelling with white candles especially Fluffy Towels and Mistletoe and Fig. The Fluffy towels burnt awful black too. I will definitely try the tin foil in future.

It definitely works! But be very careful as the heat inside is amplified (hence why it is suddenly hot enough to melt the wax at the edges). I guess it works on the same premise as Marathon runners with the shiny foil around them at the end of the race-to prevent them cooling down dangerously quickly, and sufferers of hypothermia being wrapped in blankets like tin foil.

Latest posts

Back