Yet another diet plan.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Now my problem with weight, has been prevalent for over 30 years, but I am extremely underweight. This book, consequently, is not for me. The vultures out there recognise the massive target audience, of those who need/want to lose weight, but find it impossible. Every other book, is telling us we CAN be successful, just by following a plan. The 2 day diet, has been written by a Doctor (nutritionist) and - I find this quite scary and a tad misleading - an oncologist. To link food to cancer is, imo, a form of emotional blackmail. It may be true but, to use it to sell a book, is just morally wrong. The one way to lose weight, is to consume less calories. Exercise, a quick walk will help. If you do want some advice on which diet is more suitable for you, the internet is a mine of information. And it is free. (apart from the fee you pay for your broadband!)

Well said, Louise. I don't even know what diet plan you are referring to on QVC, is this the much heralded DF plan? I shall go through the schedules and look for it.
As I say to my anorexic/bulimic/overweight clients... go to any charity shop and look on the bookshelves. You will find numerous paperbacks about this or that diet, given away because they don't work.
The amount of false promises and the billions of pounds and dollars made by the snake oil salesmen who push these things is staggering. I shall watch the next presentation of this 'new diet' on QVC, just in order to shout at the screen. I wonder how many gullible viewers will be parting with their money for it?

Just do 5:2. It is free and it works for life. The Facebook group I belong to has well over 30,000 members. It is a very supportive group and a closed group so none ofvyr Facebook friends see what you post. "The5:2diet". I still go to see what people are posting, offer encouragement and get new ideas for recipes.

I totally agree. There are links between food and cancer (e.g. compounds found in burnt meat such as heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) but these links are so complex, so subject to further epidemiological study and research that to mention them on QVC in an effort to flog something would be downright irresponsible. I doubt they will make such claims on air, to be honest, because one thing QVC is good at is by and large sticking rigidly to the BCAP code - the code of broadcast advertisers.

I'm not a doctor and I'm not telling anybody to take these supplements but I take zinc with vitamin c and this seems to have curbed my cravings quite a bit for choc .... ....however please do not do anything unless you get advice ...I have a distinction in nutrition diploma and learned loads ...also I take chromium policonate ....I am not giving this advice however just saying what has helped me ..a lot of issues for women and cravings are lack of certain nutrients it seems ...I love talking about good nutrition ....it is such a positive step imho x

It's not just what you eat its the amount too. Portion control plays a big part in losing weight too.

I'm small in stature and I've been small in weight most of my life. I have never eaten huge portions and still can't. I don't eat chocolate, sweeties, puddings, biscuits or cakes. Not because I'm being a saint, just because they aren't my thing. My big weight pile ons are cheese, crisps, nuts. wine. So at middle age I put on 2 stone. Having been small already this wasn't a disaster but it was 3 dress sizes which psychologically was demoralising and confidence denting. In desperation I must have paid a monstrous amount of cash trying to drop that weight - exercise CDs, machines, diet chef, weight watchers, paul mackenna, zumba blah blah. Don't. Every day eat one less thing. Then two less things. Then three. Even if it's one less biscuit, one less piece of toast, one less sausage. On top of that, when the adverts are on the telly walk up and down the stairs all the time they are on. Live in a flat? Run on the spot until ads are over. Small steps make a road and I have dropped some, not all, of that weight. You need to find what suits YOU. I found that I felt a failure when I bought diet chef and didn't lose 2 stone or even half a stone. You need to decide what is easy for a week, do it and then decide what to do for the next week. It's not a diet. It's you deciding what to do and that makes it sooo much easier because there's no right or wrong. If you are finding it hard to lose weight, just do a tiny bit each day. No more biscuits and 4 times up and down the stairs, or walk Fido round the block again - he'll love you for it.

CC

Look up gillian mckeith list of food of abundance ....so many foods you can eats lots of ..l.and the list does not include choccy ....lol unfortunatley :mysmilie_5:

Look up gillian mckeith list of food of abundance ....so many foods you can eats lots of ..l.and the list does not include choccy ....lol unfortunatley :mysmilie_5:

Would that be the Dr Gillian McKeith who, like the Dr Paul McKenna, got into trouble with their respective television companies over their use of the term "Dr"?

Would that be the Dr Gillian McKeith who, like the Dr Paul McKenna, got into trouble with their respective television companies over their use of the term "Dr"?

Yeah I try to ignore that lol ....I like some of the hints and tips she gives ...and let's face it ..she's not fat ....seriously she has a whole list of nutritious foods we should not be afraid to fill up with .....personally I love her books ....I know she is a bit odd at times but she helps people ....and it hits home ...espeacially the very obese ......

She holds no legitimately relevant qualification, which endorses the authenticity of her dietary advice. I discovered a webpage, thefooddoctor.com, which was eager to disassociate itself from her.

I like some of the advice she gives ....she has helped a lot of obese people...possibly saved their lives ....and I just think some people need to be shown ....i.e a grave made from chocolate ....what could be in store if they do not sort themselves out .....for me personally dip in and out her nutrition advice and I bought second hand nearly new books ...each to their own ..llmore people need to take heed ....heart attacks are the biggest killer of women ....the food of abundance advice is very welcome for me

Some people live to eat instead of eat to live but quite often there are underlying problems causing this. Boredom, depression, ill health, unhappiness, loneliness to name just a few. True there are some people who are just plain greedy and there are also lots of people who simply don`t know how to cook and shop healthily but there`s also a much bigger picture.
I gained a lot of weight when my husband died because I comfort ate, a friend gained a lot of weight because she was being bullied at work, someone else I know gained a lot of weight because she was unhappy in her marriage and we are 3 educated women who know what we should eat but for emotional reasons ate badly and I`m sure there are many more men, women and children who find solace in food for similar reasons.
Sometimes it isn`t as easy to lose weight as people presume, it isn`t black or white, books don`t always have the answers nor do diet clubs, forums or friends. Quite often the inner problem needs treating first and the weight loss comes second. I ate in sheer grief, I wasn`t even tasting what I ate nor did I care what I ate. When my life became happier and the grief subsided, then the overeating did too and the weight dropped off.
A downward spiral for whatever reason can cause us to lose control of our diet and I honestly do believe with some people it is a cry for help, they want people to notice them and weight gain is one way of being noticed, it can be a symptom of a much deeper problem. Sometimes healing the heart and mind can also heal the body.

She holds no legitimately relevant qualification, which endorses the authenticity of her dietary advice. I discovered a webpage, thefooddoctor.com, which was eager to disassociate itself from her.

And in the process disrespects all those medical doctors and Ph.D students who've slogged their guts out to actually earn their qualification.

Christopher Biggins slagged her off but honestly if he listened to her advice he would be a lot healthier for it .......this country needs all,the help it can get let's face it ......

I heard Gillian McKeith referred to as Pol Pot in a lab coat once which made me laugh but also struck a cord of truth! I can't believe that anyone is overweight nowadays for lack of information, we are swamped with it, some good and some bad. As has been said, there are lots of reasons why someone is overweight and with all the cruel vitriol that is thrown by some people nowadays no one would choose to be on the receiving end of that and risk their health, or even their life, if simply getting information would solve their problems. I lost weight several years ago (after Mr HB jokingly pointed out that there was about three stones of me that he was not legally married to!). I have kept it off but it has been very very hard, I have to force myself not to overeat every single day and even a slight lapse results in me gaining a few pounds which I have to work really hard to get rid of. I honestly believe that some people are genetically predisposed to be over or under the 'normal' weight range and those that have never experienced difficulties maintaining their weight or controlling their appetite have no idea of the struggle that the rest of us go through!!

I heard Gillian McKeith referred to as Pol Pot in a lab coat once which made me laugh but also struck a cord of truth! I can't believe that anyone is overweight nowadays for lack of information, we are swamped with it, some good and some bad. As has been said, there are lots of reasons why someone is overweight and with all the cruel vitriol that is thrown by some people nowadays no one would choose to be on the receiving end of that and risk their health, or even their life, if simply getting information would solve their problems. I lost weight several years ago (after Mr HB jokingly pointed out that there was about three stones of me that he was not legally married to!). I have kept it off but it has been very very hard, I have to force myself not to overeat every single day and even a slight lapse results in me gaining a few pounds which I have to work really hard to get rid of. I honestly believe that some people are genetically predisposed to be over or under the 'normal' weight range and those that have never experienced difficulties maintaining their weight or controlling their appetite have no idea of the struggle that the rest of us go through!!

Lol ...I agree ..li have struggles every day with chocolate mainly .lli don't keep biscuits or cakes in the house ...and now I never buy choc fro pound shop unless hubby is there to put some away ....I always by single bars now ....if I don't it's a disaster and I must say it helps loads ..l.zinc supplements have def taken the edge off for me ...and extra vitamin c .....so much conflicting advice out there ....but the foundation for me is nutrition ....and even counselling could help people .....luckily I wear my heart on my sleeve and express myself well but many people "stuff" there feelings down with food .....

Some people live to eat instead of eat to live but quite often there are underlying problems causing this. Boredom, depression, ill health, unhappiness, loneliness to name just a few. True there are some people who are just plain greedy and there are also lots of people who simply don`t know how to cook and shop healthily but there`s also a much bigger picture.
I gained a lot of weight when my husband died because I comfort ate, a friend gained a lot of weight because she was being bullied at work, someone else I know gained a lot of weight because she was unhappy in her marriage and we are 3 educated women who know what we should eat but for emotional reasons ate badly and I`m sure there are many more men, women and children who find solace in food for similar reasons.
Sometimes it isn`t as easy to lose weight as people presume, it isn`t black or white, books don`t always have the answers nor do diet clubs, forums or friends. Quite often the inner problem needs treating first and the weight loss comes second. I ate in sheer grief, I wasn`t even tasting what I ate nor did I care what I ate. When my life became happier and the grief subsided, then the overeating did too and the weight dropped off.
A downward spiral for whatever reason can cause us to lose control of our diet and I honestly do believe with some people it is a cry for help, they want people to notice them and weight gain is one way of being noticed, it can be a symptom of a much deeper problem. Sometimes healing the heart and mind can also heal the body.

I have gone down that spiral and just can't seem to dig myself out of it.

I had a weight problem 4/5 years ago and have put on a further couple of stones since then. I've tried everything mainstream like the clubs etc but I have just lost all my will power. When you have an addiction or problem with something most of them you can hide it from others or go completely cold turkey, you just can't do that with food, especially with children to feed. Every morning I get up and say today I will succeed and start the ball rolling but I get to mid morning and I've lost it already. I am quite literally worn out with the mental effort of it all, it feels like ground hog day. I have no clothes to wear now that look nice, I wear stuff with holes in them that I just used to wear for diy and painting because I can't now fit in anything else. If someone else was saying this to me I'd just say stop eating you fat muffin and get moving, but it is just such a long road to drag myself up.

I took the enormous step of contacting a counsellor who is also a qualified nutritionist but would you believe it, she is on a sabbatical, typical.

Anyway, your post resounded with me so thank you.

London I feel your pain and that isn`t meant to be at all patronising. I`m not qualified to give any advice but I`ve been where you`re at, even though it was for totally different reasons. If you feel you need support or just someone to chat to, then message me any time, that`s a genuine offer, truly.

Latest posts

Back