Yet more misleading

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Jess 'absolutely' Foley flogging a diamond gold ring.

She says "£45? Nowhere else could you get this for £45"

Well, you can't on Gemporia either - because the price was £135.

£45 was the amount of the first split pay................

Blatant shystering from the worst presenter on the channel. If someone partially sighted was viewing and couldn't see the price on the screen clearly, they could have easily fallen for that waffle thinking they're going to get a bargain.
This really makes the steam come out of my ears - I want to yell at the screen 'it's not ****** £45, that's just one payment!!' How do they get away with this distortion? When they first brought in split pay, some of the presenters used to say 'get it home for just £....' and occasionally they would even mention the dreaded words 'split pay' and the amount, but it seems that's all gone out of the window. In my book, they should clearly say that it can be paid for in x amount of instalments of £x each, no fudging the price, just upfront about it. If they're such bloomin' bargains, then be honest about it. Can it be that...gasp!.....it might be overpriced tat? I keep saying it I know, but I cannot understand how this is ethical in any way, shape or form.

Just watching Adina and she’s mentioned The Titanic in reference to the Akoya pearl in a design multiple times now. Just because Mikimoto was doing these type pearls between 1909 and 1913. She keeps mentioning it but it has absolutely nothing to do with what they’re actually selling. As in “these were around during the time the Titanic existed”, absolutely nuts she is. The ‘ original’ pearl naturally. Apparently the designer is “An extraordinary person in lapidary”, lol.

Just watching Adina and she’s mentioned The Titanic in reference to the Akoya pearl in a design multiple times now. Just because Mikimoto was doing these type pearls between 1909 and 1913. She keeps mentioning it but it has absolutely nothing to do with what they’re actually selling. As in “these were around during the time the Titanic existed”, absolutely nuts she is. The ‘ original’ pearl naturally. Apparently the designer is “An extraordinary person in lapidary”, lol.
Are you sure the Titanic reference wasn't referring to Gemporia, ie, sinking beyond recovery?

Because the ASA rely on complaints rather than pro-actively monitoring the output of these channels.

If they don't get reports, then nothing happens.

Sadly, most people either can't be bothered to report it, or don't know how to.
Well, I reported them twice, albeit several years ago. The first time was due to a blatant pricing error - saying the item had never been lower at auction or on the website, when in fact it was shown (at the same time as the show went on) on the Company's website at a lower price!!! Both times they upheld the complaints, but I've still seen Gems doing exactly the same thing since on many occasions. The whole problem is that all the channel gets is a slap on the wrist - if they were taken off-air for three days the first time, and then progressively longer if it's a repeat complaint, then it would have some 'teeth'. But what point is there in a slap on the wrist and then 'carry on, as you were'? The ASA are a waste of space. It might help if they at least monitored occasionally, but if as you say they don't, and just rely solely on customers' alerting them, then they're about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Well, I reported them twice, albeit several years ago. The first time was due to a blatant pricing error - saying the item had never been lower at auction or on the website, when in fact it was shown (at the same time as the show went on) on the Company's website at a lower price!!! Both times they upheld the complaints, but I've still seen Gems doing exactly the same thing since on many occasions. The whole problem is that all the channel gets is a slap on the wrist - if they were taken off-air for three days the first time, and then progressively longer if it's a repeat complaint, then it would have some 'teeth'. But what point is there in a slap on the wrist and then 'carry on, as you were'? The ASA are a waste of space. It might help if they at least monitored occasionally, but if as you say they don't, and just rely solely on customers' alerting them, then they're about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
I completely agree. They've had a number of complaints upheld against them over the past 12 months or so that I've reported. As you say, they just get repeated slaps on the wrist and then they carry on regardless - hence why I've now escalated things further to Trading Standards and the NAJ.

Screen Shot.JPG

At it yet again! This is NOT 'Rubellite'. It is Rubellite in Quartz matrix!!

I completely agree. They've had a number of complaints upheld against them over the past 12 months or so that I've reported. As you say, they just get repeated slaps on the wrist and then they carry on regardless - hence why I've now escalated things further to Trading Standards and the NAJ.
The NAJ and Trading Standards sounds like the way to go, as it seems the ASA are completely useless. Consumer protection definitely needs tightening up in this country, in my opinion. And where there's laxity it seems that organisations like this will always take full advantage.

Yet another report is going in tonight.

Dave Troth is on doing a re-run from earlier (as usual with the 11pm shows).

He's blatantly misled on air. He brings up a screenshot of a retailer selling a Jadeite carving. The price says 163,125 HONG KONG DOLLARS.

Troth reads out "Look at this piece - this sold for 163,125 DOLLARS.

No Dave, it sold for 163,125 HONG KONG DOLLARS!!! HUGE difference.

163,125 Hong Kong dollars works out to just £16,510!

163,125 US dollars works out to a whopping £129,210!

Only £112,700 out Dave - but I'm sure you knew that anyway, hence why you conveniently 'forgot' to say that it was Hong Kong Dollars rather than US Dollars..............

Yet another report is going in tonight.

Dave Troth is on doing a re-run from earlier (as usual with the 11pm shows).

He's blatantly misled on air. He brings up a screenshot of a retailer selling a Jadeite carving. The price says 163,125 HONG KONG DOLLARS.

Troth reads out "Look at this piece - this sold for 163,125 DOLLARS.

No Dave, it sold for 163,125 HONG KONG DOLLARS!!! HUGE difference.

163,125 Hong Kong dollars works out to just £16,510!

163,125 US dollars works out to a whopping £129,210!

Only £112,700 out Dave - but I'm sure you knew that anyway, hence why you conveniently 'forgot' to say that it was Hong Kong Dollars rather than US Dollars..............
When you think of the really good presenters that have walked away from presenting on Gemporia, it just beggars belief that they are long gone and yet this bloke is still giving it large on the screen. What does he bring to the channel? He doesn't 'educate' anyone, he talks/rants at you like a dictator.

Are you sure she said "lapidary"? It wasn't "lavatory" by any chance?;)

When you think of the really good presenters that have walked away from presenting on Gemporia, it just beggars belief that they are long gone and yet this bloke is still giving it large on the screen. What does he bring to the channel? He doesn't 'educate' anyone, he talks/rants at you like a dictator.

I think someone else on this forum hit the nail on the head a while ago when they said that DT probably 'hires' air-time to flog his Jade. It also probably explains why its nearly always DT's shows that are repeated again in the 11pm hour when Gemporia switches from the 'non-live' hours. It's probably part of the 'deal'.

I cannot see what else he 'brings to the table' because:

a) As much as him, Toby and Jake call themselves 'gem experts', they don't appear to have any gemmological qualifications. They have no letters after their names.

b) He MUST be detrimental to viewing figures. I've seen hundreds of people say they find him boring and an instant "switch-off" - but I've yet to see anyone say they find him entertaining or informative.

c) He doesn't tell us anything informative. He tells us what HE wants to tell us - which usually consists of misleading information, dubious claims, over-exaggerated price comparisons and, to be blunt, complete bulls**t at times (he's still saying that his Jadeite is 'completely natural', despite the lab certificate saying "Untreated - except for waxing".

c) He has all the charm and charisma of a plank of wood. He's not funny. He's not knowledgeable. He's not likeable. His presentation style is completely boring (constant waffle with 30 second clocks galore).

The whole channel is general hasn't been 'informative' or 'educational' for a VERY long time. Gone are the days when they used to tell us how gems formed underground, how stones were mined, what certain treatments did to stones, explained about different crystal structures, and even told us what various parts of a faceted stone were called (ie, the girdle, the culet, etc).

Now, they only tell us what THEY want to tell us. They are evasive about treatments - telling us only when something is natural, but rarely when its treated. They only refer to crystal structure when something "shares the same crystal structure as a diamond". They'll suggest something is rare by saying "there's nothing coming out of THIS mine now" - but what they won't tell you is that there are umpteen other mines around the world that are still producing the particular stone they're selling.

They deliberately mislead - and I can say that because they've had adjudications made against them by the ASA for misleading - so it's official, not an off-the-cuff slanderous comment.

He's called a gem expert on the presenter page :p

He's called a gem expert on the presenter page :p
In his dreams. Can you imagine if they still invited people to come along to the Gems 'Experience Days' that they used to offer? If you were allocated Jade as your tutor you'd be sound asleep before the 10 am coffee break. The only sounds in the room would be snoring. You'd be better off falling asleep, because you sure as heck wouldn't learn much listening to that waffle and being fixed with the 'stern glare'.

In his dreams. Can you imagine if they still invited people to come along to the Gems 'Experience Days' that they used to offer? If you were allocated Jade as your tutor you'd be sound asleep before the 10 am coffee break. The only sounds in the room would be snoring. You'd be better off falling asleep, because you sure as heck wouldn't learn much listening to that waffle and being fixed with the 'stern glare'.
I don't think I've said this before, but, when he first joined, I did like him and his knowledge: BUT, that soon wore off, and some. Now, as soon as I see his face, before he even opens his mouth, I change channels. Be it Gemporia, JM or GC.

Latest posts

Back