self promotion

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I know its been mentioned many times on here, but have had to switch over from self promoting Flint. Out of curiosity I checked out her own website - talk about me me me, and more evidence of how she loves herself. Now she's prattling on (Together sale show) about her 2nd grandchild due later this year - like we're interested (yawn). She really is ****** awful.

Self-promoting

I know its been mentioned many times on here, but have had to switch over from self promoting Flint. Out of curiosity I checked out her own website - talk about me me me, and more evidence of how she loves herself. Now she's prattling on (Together sale show) about her 2nd grandchild due later this year - like we're interested (yawn). She really is ****** awful.

I haven't looked at her website, but I can guess it would be ****** awful. There are so many people out there self-promoting.

A few months ago I had to interview a singer who wouldn't answer any of my questions. She acted like a real diva despite the fact she hasn't had a hit record in years. OK in the 80s she was REALLY famous and now she's fallen off the radar of public consciousness. I asked her if she'd like to write the article for me, since I couldn't work with what she was telling me. She complained to my employers who listened to my audio and checked my notes and they found in my favour.

Anyway I ended up having to meet her again and she was a lot more co-operative. She opened up when she realised I knew some of her songs - and we both ended up singing them (!) and as a result I got an interesting piece from it. She ended up writing to my employers to say I was by far the best journalist she'd ever dealt with.

I often find the self-promoters are the most insecure.

A lot of "celebs" say: "I can only give you 8 minutes" when they meet for an interview. I always reply with: "OK, that's absolutely fine," and then just get them talking. Not once have they ever stopped at 8 minutes.

I think Flint is an interesting character who's made an entire career from self-promotion. She'd certainly be interesting to interview and get through to the real person under the facade.

Last edited:

Is this aimed at the sycophants out there who will take to social media?

“Oh Debbie wonderful news I can’t wait to see all the photos.It is my dearest wish to visit your amazing place in Devon & maybe get to meet you —I think I would pass out with excitement!!!We are so fortunate to have you bringing us all these amazing products to QVC,and you’re always so truthful,such a busy person to find the time.The fashions, you always look so stylish & elegant ( I HATE my 5’9” frame & 35” hips & the way people always say my cheekbones are amazing)Please, please keep writing your fab books, my friends are sooooooo envious when they see them on my coffee table.xxxxxxxx”

Pity is she would probably believe it!!

"Dear Debs, My darling you look simply divine - cuter and sweeter than a tray of cupcakes! You'll have to tell me the secret of eternal youth, you look no different today than when you were on QVC 25 years ago! Either you've stepped in Ayesha's flame, sold your soul to the Devil or all those lovely lotions you bring to us really work! Your novels are superbly written and full of wit. They keep me hooked until the end - and then surprise me with more twist in the tale than Jeffrey Archer!
It takes me about a week to read all 200 pages but it's well worth it.

P.S You should come here to Clacton, they have a Glamorous Granny Contest and you'd win by a country mile."

Luv,

Pauline

I knew who this would be about from the title!

If self promotion was an Olympic sport, Debs would be in contention for the gold medal. The shameless and unrepentant direction of on-air conversation, the relentless repetition of all the banal tidbits: the books, the b&b, the weddings, the grand babies, the blog, the website, rinse and repeat. I cannot fault Debbie's industry, in fact I admire her for it. I just wish I didn't have to witness it every time she is on QVC.

There are other self-promoters at QVC, but they are rank amateurs compared to Debs!

I haven't looked at her website, but I can guess it would be ****** awful. There are so many people out there self-promoting.

A few months ago I had to interview a singer who wouldn't answer any of my questions. She acted like a real diva despite the fact she hasn't had a hit record in years. OK in the 80s she was REALLY famous and now she's fallen off the radar of public consciousness. I asked her if she'd like to write the article for me, since I couldn't work with what she was telling me. She complained to my employers who listened to my audio and checked my notes and they found in my favour.

Anyway I ended up having to meet her again and she was a lot more co-operative. She opened up when she realised I knew some of her songs - and we both ended up singing them (!) and as a result I got an interesting piece from it. She ended up writing to my employers to say I was by far the best journalist she'd ever dealt with.

I often find the self-promoters are the most insecure.

A lot of "celebs" say: "I can only give you 8 minutes" when they meet for an interview. I always reply with: "OK, that's absolutely fine," and then just get them talking. Not once have they ever stopped at 8 minutes.

I think Flint is an interesting character who's made an entire career from self-promotion. She'd certainly be interesting to interview and get through to the real person under the facade.

Interesting comments Julius. I think before you got to the 'real person under the facade' of Flinty, you'd be beaten into submission first with blog news, the latest on the grandbabies, how Anttony designed her wedding outfit, her latest novel and her hobbit feet, before trying to flog you some QVC moisturiser or Dyson hairdryer - at which point you'll be at the stage where you'll be having your tummy tickled or you'll run from the interview screaming !

Self promotion

" She ended up writing to my employers to say I was by far the best journalist she'd ever dealt with."

:mysmilie_859:

" She ended up writing to my employers to say I was by far the best journalist she'd ever dealt with."

:mysmilie_859:

Not that I'm self-promoting (lol).

Apparently she's notoriously difficult to interview but I found her quite OK the second time round. It was quite interesting to get to the person behind all those amazing songs.

Talking of self-promotion, take a gander at AY's latest spread in the Mirror - I particularly enjoyed her tip re buying moisturisers (as well as the shocking fact that most people flogging skincare have had work done)...doesn't quite reflect the Q ethos now does it :mysmilie_17:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/style/3am-fashion-celebrity-beauty/10-skin-secrets-make-you-12221420

I love that she's described as 'legend'. I wonder if this is modern parlance or the dictioary meaning - 'A very old story or set of stories from ancient times, or the stories, not always true, that people tell about a famous event or person'.

I wonder if there is any pressure - discrete or overt - on the QVC presenters to "freshen up" their appearance?

I imagine there's a LOT actually in the contract about it, since they are working in a very visual medium. Notice how they all have the "same" identikit teeth.

I imagine there's a LOT actually in the contract about it, since they are working in a very visual medium. Notice how they all have the "same" identikit teeth.

No I don't notice identikit teeth. Ali Young has wonky teeth, Julia's are slightly backward facing, Debbie's are greyish yellow. That's just off the top of my head. Who did you have in mind with identikit teeth? If it's the models, I conceed a lot of them have very clearly "evolved" their look over the years I've watched QVC.

‘As QVC’s longest standing presenter’ as quoted in the article I think Queen Julia will have something to say about that.

Work done? Does AY keep a straight face when she is with Lulu(to name only one)

How very dare you! Lulu owes her smooth skin and tight neck to the products she personally developed when she was doing her PhD in Cosmetic Science at the University of Bullsh*t. Tune in on Friday and she'll tell you all about it.

hardly any have had their teeth done julia roberts,alison young and many others have no dental work to improve their teeth. qvc us is another matter

Dale, Charlie and Simon seem to have similar Tipp-Ex gnashers.

I'm gonna have them soon, too - Lol!

Latest posts

Back