Gemporia - struggling financially?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Not sure if this is related. I see that this weekends promotion is based on the fact that Gemporia is not going to the Hong Kong trade show this year. Has it been announced why?
Noticed they are promoting Hong Kong Unlocked at the weekend- Heaven knows what form this will take! Makes you think, though-wouldn’t a trip to Hong Kong be money well spent? They could have shifted tons of Jade for top Hong Kong dollars, instead of setting it into silver and flogging it here for £99!!

I didn't watch Gemporia for ages, but up to then he was Jake Thompson-Bennett. Suddenly, when I tuned in again, he;d lost 'Bennett', if you'll pardon the expression. We need to know why Jak(d)e lost his double-barrelled name...I think we should be told..

I didn't watch Gemporia for ages, but up to then he was Jake Thompson-Bennett. Suddenly, when I tuned in again, he;d lost 'Bennett', if you'll pardon the expression. We need to know why Jak(d)e lost his double-barrelled name...I think we should be told..

Perhaps he traded it in in exchange for Jadeite?

Frankly I'm surprised they are still going.
At the beginning I believe they did genuinely cut out the middle man and sell good quality, good gold weight, decent jewellery at below high street prices. I have a few of these and they are still going strong.
Now... Apparantly all the gems they sell are as rare as hen's teeth - which is puzzling as they can easily be found at lower prices with a quick internet search, unless of course they have given it a fancy name to imply rarity ! Often now set in silver or plated, which to me does not fit with the implied rarity of the gem. These practises are misleading to say the least and I'm surprised that they have not been reported to the ASA more often.

There are the annoying "experts" / " managers" whatever they are, Toby, Jake, Dave ? Waffling on for ages, enjoying the sound of their own voice, actually telling us very little about what is about to be on sale, but a lot of nonsense about sourcing, so called rarity, how heroic they are for sourcing this wonderful item and then comparing their ( often smaller, not the same quality) piece and price to something that is a genuinely rare, large or high end piece, this is not a like for like comparison, but actually very misleading.
Likewise the price per carat they quote...A single 1 carat stone is worth more than a piece of jewellery with a 1 carat equivalent comprising of many small stones, unsurprisingly they do not make this clear. Again, very, very misleading.

The presenters now talk rubbish or spout outright lies and all in an overexcited, shouty, ridiculous way.
Some of them are, to me, completely unwatchable. I want to know the facts about a piece of jewellery, clarity, cut, weight and whether a stone is treated or natural, not about the presenters private life, their dog or how many bits of tat they have bought from the channel, it is all now very unprofessional and entering price drop territory.

We are now offered overpriced candles, plastic food storage boxes, socks, plastic ( sorry vegan leather) handbags, hideous clothing ( not designed in-house as claimed, but outsourced) and copycat make-up along with the jewellery.
If seems to me that Gemporia have lost their way and if they continue as they are, they will lose their customers too.

Frankly I'm surprised they are still going.
At the beginning I believe they did genuinely cut out the middle man and sell good quality, good gold weight, decent jewellery at below high street prices. I have a few of these and they are still going strong.
Now... Apparantly all the gems they sell are as rare as hen's teeth - which is puzzling as they can easily be found at lower prices with a quick internet search, unless of course they have given it a fancy name to imply rarity ! Often now set in silver or plated, which to me does not fit with the implied rarity of the gem. These practises are misleading to say the least and I'm surprised that they have not been reported to the ASA more often.

There are the annoying "experts" / " managers" whatever they are, Toby, Jake, Dave ? Waffling on for ages, enjoying the sound of their own voice, actually telling us very little about what is about to be on sale, but a lot of nonsense about sourcing, so called rarity, how heroic they are for sourcing this wonderful item and then comparing their ( often smaller, not the same quality) piece and price to something that is a genuinely rare, large or high end piece, this is not a like for like comparison, but actually very misleading.
Likewise the price per carat they quote...A single 1 carat stone is worth more than a piece of jewellery with a 1 carat equivalent comprising of many small stones, unsurprisingly they do not make this clear. Again, very, very misleading.

The presenters now talk rubbish or spout outright lies and all in an overexcited, shouty, ridiculous way.
Some of them are, to me, completely unwatchable. I want to know the facts about a piece of jewellery, clarity, cut, weight and whether a stone is treated or natural, not about the presenters private life, their dog or how many bits of tat they have bought from the channel, it is all now very unprofessional and entering price drop territory.

We are now offered overpriced candles, plastic food storage boxes, socks, plastic ( sorry vegan leather) handbags, hideous clothing ( not designed in-house as claimed, but outsourced) and copycat make-up along with the jewellery.
If seems to me that Gemporia have lost their way and if they continue as they are, they will lose their customers too.
Couldn't agree with you more..

Not sure if I am misremembering, but I am sure in the old days they would often suggest getting an independent valuation on the item you bought, they were so confident they were selling a quality item at a discounted price, don't think I have heard that for a while ?
Good point, I haven't heard that spiel in a long time either.

Watched Jess and Dave this morning with the spinel pieces, and Dave obliged with one of the most irritating phrases that they trot out. ‘These are selling out before we’ve come to air - I don’t know how people are buying these and they’re not even available! I only have 4 of these earrings, they’re that limited’. Wrong Dave, they were on earlier in the week, because I put them on my wishlist. Same code too! So either Dave doesn’t have his finger on the pulse, or it’s all more sales ploys to get people to buy.

Watched Jess and Dave this morning with the spinel pieces, and Dave obliged with one of the most irritating phrases that they trot out. ‘These are selling out before we’ve come to air - I don’t know how people are buying these and they’re not even available! I only have 4 of these earrings, they’re that limited’. Wrong Dave, they were on earlier in the week, because I put them on my wishlist. Same code too! So either Dave doesn’t have his finger on the pulse, or it’s all more sales ploys to get people to buy.
Quite agree, 10 minutes or more of droning on and on about how rare and exclusive this gem is, never been seen before on air, then trying to whip customers into a buying frenzy by saying they only have a few left !
Surely at least one employee of Gemporia must read these threads and report back ?
Yet despite Steves announcement about coming back to sort things out, so far, no change and we have more of the same, Dave Troth on earlier all talk giving us a load of twaddle and Jake ? banging on about some rarity (readily available and cheaper, elsewhere)
Customers do not want to be bored, talked down to, duped or mislead, most of us just want to see some nice, decently priced jewellery without all the hype and pantomime nonsense.

What I don't understand is why they think we are so stupid? I have seen this happen before and even read out loud what the price is going to be before the say it!!!! One instance in particular I messaged in to was Ellis she was doing her game of " Trust " the item had supposedly never been On air before and she stated how much it was,I messaged saying that was the same price as seen earlier! I of course had no reply... I find this insulting and Steve doesn't seemed to have made any head way in improving the situation.

Not sure if I am misremembering, but I am sure in the old days they would often suggest getting an independent valuation on the item you bought, they were so confident they were selling a quality item at a discounted price, don't think I have heard that for a while ?
They do still say it occasionally - but they do that knowing full well that EVERY valuation will be far higher than people paid for it.

The valuations that they tell people to get are insurance valuations - in other words, the valuation is high because it takes into consideration the cost to make and source the components to make an identical ring in the event of theft or loss.

For example, anyone that bought an Argyle Diamond ring and took it to be valued will get a high valuations - because the Argyle diamond mine has now closed. If someone was to lose their ring in 5 years time and want to replace it, the cost of sourcing a replacement stone(s) will far higher because the material will be unobtainable from the mine and will have to be bought from a private retailer / individual that has a like for like stone. Finding someone that has it will come at a cost - and then buying the stone will come at a cost. Then there's the price of the Goldsmith's materials and labour to re-create an identical setting.

The Jewellery Valuers Association suggest five types of jewellery valuations - but Gemporia NEVER state this on-air.

If someone had jewellery valued on it's actual worth, regardless of whether its been bought from Gemporia or elsewhere, they'll be given the trade price at best (not the retail price after the seller has added their mark up).

At the end of the day, if you were running a business, and you knew something was "valued" at £2500, would you really be selling it for £300?

In addition, if Gemporia believed that their jewellery was worth the amount that valuations suggest, rather than the amount that they sell them for, obviously customers would be getting a bargain - so we wouldn't need Dave Troth and Jade Thompson giving us a lecture for 30 minutes trying to persuade us to part with our cash. Presenters wouldn't need to use their hard sell tactics on us either. Bargains fly out - so if someone thought they were getting a £2500 ring for £300, they would sell out in seconds of being on-air.

Steve doesn't seemed to have made any head way in improving the situation.

Nothing seems to have changed really. Refunds have got quicker - but that's about all.
When Steve did his announcement on-air 8 days ago, a viewer messaged in to say that the split pay graphic had changed recently and it took too long to show the split pay amounts. Angeline agreed with the viewer and also stressed to Steve that the graphic was rubbish since it had changed. Steve had a Dictaphone in his hand - and he spoke into it saying "We need to change the split pay graphic because the current one is S H 1 T" - Steve's exact words.

8 days on, that graphic remains in place.

Some things will take time - like the Jade going, the plated jewellery being phased out, etc. They'll need to sell their current stock before they bring in new stuff. That's acceptable.

But things like on-screen graphics, ditching the lectures from Laurel & Hardy, etc should be almost instant fixes.

Last edited:
They do still say it occasionally - but they do that knowing full well that EVERY valuation will be far higher than people paid for it.

The valuations that they tell people to get are insurance valuations - in other words, the valuation is high because it takes into consideration the cost to make and source the components to make an identical ring in the event of theft or loss.

For example, anyone that bought an Argyle Diamond ring and took it to be valued will get a high valuations - because the Argyle diamond mine has now closed. If someone was to lose their ring in 5 years time and want to replace it, the cost of sourcing a replacement stone(s) will far higher because the material will be unobtainable from the mine and will have to be bought from a private retailer / individual that has a like for like stone. Finding someone that has it will come at a cost - and then buying the stone will come at a cost. Then there's the price of the Goldsmith's materials and labour to re-create an identical setting.

The Jewellery Valuers Association suggest five types of jewellery valuations - but Gemporia NEVER state this on-air.

If someone had jewellery valued on it's actual worth, regardless of whether its been bought from Gemporia or elsewhere, they'll be given the trade price at best (not the retail price after the seller has added their mark up).

At the end of the day, if you were running a business, and you knew something was "valued" at £2500, would you really be selling it for £300?

In addition, if Gemporia believed that their jewellery was worth the amount that valuations suggest, rather than the amount that they sell them for, obviously customers would be getting a bargain - so we wouldn't need Dave Troth and Jade Thompson giving us a lecture for 30 minutes trying to persuade us to part with our cash. Presenters wouldn't need to use their hard sell tactics on us either. Bargains fly out - so if someone thought they were getting a £2500 ring for £300, they would sell out in seconds of being on-air.

Nothing seems to have changed really. Refunds have got quicker - but that's about all.
When Steve did his announcement on-air 8 days ago, a viewer messaged in to say that the split pay graphic had changed recently and it took too long to show the split pay amounts. Angeline agreed with the viewer and also stressed to Steve that the graphic was rubbish since it had changed. Steve had a Dictaphone in his hand - and he spoke into it saying "We need to change the split pay graphic because the current one is S H 1 T" - Steve's exact words.

8 days on, that graphic remains in place.

Some things will take time - like the Jade going, the plated jewellery being phased out, etc. They'll need to sell their current stock before they bring in new stuff. That's acceptable.

But things like on-screen graphics, ditching the lectures from Laurel & Hardy, etc should be almost instant fixes.
Jake's still guesting on shows, but now as MD. I can't see that as a positive step forward.

Considering the size and quantity of the problems Gemporia is struggling with, you would think that the MD would be busy getting to grips with those. Not appearing on telly trying to convince Doris in Leeds to buy a pair of overpriced Midas jade earrings

Please if anyone from Gems is reading this, Please ask Jess to cut back on her currently constant theatrically over-the-top gasping and wheezing in "shock". She does it so often it has little value - even for those daft enough to believe it is genuine - I now have to hit the mute button when she is on. Thanks.

a couple of questions - is the conch justifiably so expensive? And have I imagined that all the tanzanite is now heat treated? I thought a lot of it used to be natural. You can instantly tell the ones these days have been heat treated…

Jake's still guesting on shows, but now as MD. I can't see that as a positive step forward.

Considering the size and quantity of the problems Gemporia is struggling with, you would think that the MD would be busy getting to grips with those. Not appearing on telly trying to convince Doris in Leeds to buy a pair of overpriced Midas jade earrings
Agreed

a couple of questions - is the conch justifiably so expensive? And have I imagined that all the tanzanite is now heat treated? I thought a lot of it used to be natural. You can instantly tell the ones these days have been heat treated…
A very good question

I remember when they first started selling queen conch. The way they promoted it seemed out of keeping with how it actually looks if I’m honest. So I googled and found multiple items of jewellery online made of queen conch for significantly less than Gemporia were selling. That’s the first time I have done that and have felt like a total fool for believing all the hype for many years and spending money based on their sales tactics.

Pretty much, yes. All blue Tanzanite these days is heated. I might be mistaken but this is something to do with the Tanzanian government takeover of the whole mining and production processes. There's very little true 'D' Block tanzanite around that exhibits real pleochroism from the blue like, for example, Zambian amethyst does (red, blue, purple, pink) from the purple end of the spectrum.

I missed the boat, I think. Most tanzanite leaves me a bit "meh" 😕 these days, sadly.

The Queen conch isn't even natural - it has the treatment code 'I', which would suggest its stabilised.

As for Tanzanite, very few places sell unheated material. Heat treatment is pretty much the norm and accepted as a routine treatment.

I remember when they first started selling queen conch. The way they promoted it seemed out of keeping with how it actually looks if I’m honest. So I googled and found multiple items of jewellery online made of queen conch for significantly less than Gemporia were selling. That’s the first time I have done that and have felt like a total fool for believing all the hype for many years and spending money based on their sales tactics.
I know how you feel

Latest posts

Back