Win 24 - What a con!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The same reason that people but a lottery ticket - in the hope of winning the jackpot or in Win24's case something like a holiday to the US like the woman from Sal's Cut & Weave (or wherever she is from!)

This is pretty much what the OP has been trying to say BUT at the same time has tried to underline how bad a deal you'd be getting if you signed up for win24...This thread has underlined how unlike the lottery, no charity, or good cause will benefit from it, how you're under obligation to be in the scheme for a whole TWO years, AND how if you don't watch your step, you could end up lumbered with another two. Now would you not agree that if this thread made just ONE person reconsider singing up for it, it's a good thing?

Whether you think the OP has overused the same word ,used the wrong word, appeared patronising (though I disagree), his only purpose here was to alert people to the rip-off that is win24, (Not the lottery, not business in general, betting at the racetrack, penny arcades), just Win24, and try and prevent any of the good folks on here who just may sign up in haste, or know of someone else who they feel is susceptible and warn them, that's all. In some ways it's a shame this thread has gone on so, but it's got us talking and as another poster mentioned had put us to the top of the search engine for all to see!

Last edited:
Ok I will answer this despite that fact I find it quite odd. I don't believe you need to use a word more than once after you have used it once.

As an example if I said in my title my new guitar was wonderful - I don't feel the need to say it is wonderful 3 or 4 times in the thread as I have already used it once and don't want to keep using the same word.

But, something like a guitar....there are many words you can use....wonderful, amazing, fantasic, Etc. Con is a con....not many other ways of putting it.

The same reason that people but a lottery ticket - in the hope of winning the jackpot or in Win24's case something like a holiday to the US like the woman from Sal's Cut & Weave (or wherever she is from!)

You are missing the point....the chances of getting your money back with Win24 is less than 1%, while the lottery is something like 1in50. ALSO, yes people play the lottery to win the 'big prize' of millions, but Win24 is completely different, as I think a weekend away is a bit different to £4,000,000!!

This is pretty much what the OP has been trying to say BUT at the same time has tried to underline how bad a deal you'd be getting if you signed up for win24...This thread has underlined how unlike the lottery, no charity, or good cause will benefit from it, how you're under obligation to be in the scheme for a whole TWO years, AND how if you don't watch your step, you could end up lumbered with another two. Now would you not agree that if this thread made just ONE person reconsider singing up for it, it's a good thing?

Whether you think the OP has overused the same word ,used the wrong word, appeared patronising (though I disagree), his only purpose here was to alert people to the rip-off that is win24, (Not the lottery, not business in general, betting at the racetrack, penny arcades), just Win24, and try and prevent any of the good folks on here who just may sign up in haste, or know of someone else who they feel is susceptible and warn them, that's all. In some ways it's a shame this thread has gone on so, but it's got us talking and as another poster mentioned had put us to the top of the search engine for all to see!

You couldn't have put it any better!! :)

Not really.....all companies are out there for the money, but they care about customer satisfaction.

Very few companies really care about their customers though - i don't see Win24 being much different from most big companies.

You are missing the point....the chances of getting your money back with Win24 is less than 1%, while the lottery is something like 1in50. ALSO, yes people play the lottery to win the 'big prize' of millions, but Win24 is completely different, as I think a weekend away is a bit different to £4,000,000!!

No, I have not missed the point. People put their money down becuase they want to win a big prize. Stating what the odds are to me does not stop pepole from gambling as they want to win and belive that they can win the big prizes and beat the odds.

A good example would be a stall at a Fete I want to once. You had to roll I think 7 6's on a dice...now in theory that's next to impossible but people were still putting money down to try and win it despite the poor odds...same as with Win24

Very few companies really care about their customers though - i don't see Win24 being much different from most big companies.

Most companies want/need repeat custom, so they have to care about their customers actually.....but Win24 have their customers for 2 years (4 years if not careful), so they have their custom anyway.

No, I have not missed the point. People put their money down becuase they want to win a big prize. Stating what the odds are to me does not stop pepole from gambling as they want to win and belive that they can win the big prizes and beat the odds.

A good example would be a stall at a Fete I want to once. You had to roll I think 7 6's on a dice...now in theory that's next to impossible but people were still putting money down to try and win it despite the poor odds...same as with Win24

At a fete? That is a bit different.....were they putting down £290? Also, they were involved in it.....they weren't just signing up and not hearing back where the money went.

So, you were saying that people would put £290 on the table for 1 person out of 200,000 to win a holiday? I don't think so. And a holiday isn't really a 'big' prize, when you think that you have put nearly £300 down to start with!!

Onto my last comment, if the BEST prize they have given away out of 170,000 prizes was worth £5,000 and they chances of winning THAT prize is less than 0.001%, would you rather put the £290 on a roulette wheel on a near enough 3% payback, and winning over £10,000?! Obviously, people who saw the odds would go to the roulette but they don't....WHY:

* They don't know the odds of getting your money back and winning is less than 1%
*They get seduced by the advert of winning a car, and they don't realise they are the only ever car winner.
*They think it is only £11.95 per month, and they dont work it out that it is going to cost them nearly £290.

I could go on, but I can tell you, if you told them the odds, they amount of people would signed up would go down, I'd guess, near 90% - If I was to sign up without seeing the odds of winning, I'd have thought that maybe 10-15% get their money back and more, but would never in my wildest dreams think it would be <1%

At a fete? That is a bit different.....were they putting down £290? Also, they were involved in it.....they weren't just signing up and not hearing back where the money went.

So, you were saying that people would put £290 on the table for 1 person out of 200,000 to win a holiday? I don't think so. And a holiday isn't really a 'big' prize, when you think that you have put nearly £300 down to start with!!

Exactly. You are spot on.

I was giving it as an example of when people are happy to pay money out despite the odds being very poor.

A holiday can be a big prize quite easily...depends on the value of the holiday.

I'm sorry, you are missing the point here.

Yes, a holiday can be called 'a big prize' if you entered for free, or a small stake, but having to actually pay £290 in membership, it isn't actuually that big!

The lady on their advert on IW says ''I told my family I won a holiday, and they wanted to know the catch, and I said there was no catch, and that you just have to sign up to Win24'' - There is the catch!!

With gambling, when the odds are low, the prize it much larger. For instance, if the odds are 20% of winning, the prize would be higher than something with odds of 50% (And we aren't talking about a fete where you pay £1 to win a teddy bear, that isn't really gambling) So, when the chances of winning the best prize worth £5000 is >0.001% you would expect the prize to be more than x17 what you bet (the initial £290)

Why are people drawn into gambling? It is because there is a chance of winning. And the odds match the winnings. They may put a bet on for something which is unlikely, but the odds will be high.

Gamblers may put their money on a worse odds bet, but they would get more back when they win. The winnings are in proportion to the chances of winning;

Roulette - Landing on Black 1:1 win Same with red, while, if you pick a certain number, it will be 36:1, because the odds are much more less likely.

You said earlier about lottery being a con because the changes of winning are slim, and I gave you several reasons why it is different, I'd also like to say that paying £290 to win a holiday is much different to putting £1 on and winning £4,000,000

Last edited:
I've really enjoyed reading all members views about Win 24 since 23rd July and I keep coming back to read the latest for or against posts. I can't remember a thread lasting (and staying interesting) this long but, isn't it about time to put it to bed. :giggle:

I've really enjoyed reading all members views about Win 24 since 23rd July and I keep coming back to read the latest for or against posts. I can't remember a thread lasting (and staying interesting) this long but, isn't it about time to put it to bed. :giggle:

Ask that same question in a months time, and We'll see!! xD

Sorry haven't read the whole thread (only so many minutes in a day and all that) so apologies if I am duplicating someone else.

The more they advertise and the more mugs they get to sign up, the longer the odds of winning, everyone is being entered into the same comps !

The law of diminishing returns if ever I saw one.

Latest posts

Back