Mason's Weather Warning

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

With all due respect Moet I think we all know that fact. Ice & snow are slippery & can result in accidents, no really?? He actually missed the biggest selling point that's actually on the front of the label of the snow melt he was selling. It says it's active for 7 days & works in minus 25 degrees. A bit of very basic split second research could have saved a pile of waffle! I only saw it when they moved off the product & did a close up. So that's 2.4kg in total of the stuff for £20 quid once you add the infamous P&P & call to order it. I repeat B & Q, white grit, not rock salt, £5.50 for 6kg, I rest my case.

give it up M&M, it's blatant scaremongering, we could break a hip or a child could be badly hurt, it's scaremongering

Don't agree with you. As I said before his mother in law fell on
the ice, ended up in hospital after having to have an operation.
Also, if you do work with kids as I have, you have to take precautions
as a business to keep them safe. Not scaremongering, just being
cautious and safe. He didn't say you'd die if you didn't use it!

With all due respect Moet I think we all know that fact. He actually missed the biggest selling point that's actually on the front of the label of the snow melt he was selling. It says it's active for 7 days & works in minus 25 degrees. A bit of very basic split second research could have saved a pile of waffle! I only saw it when they moved off the product & did a close up. So that's 2.4kg in total of the stuff for £20 quid once you add the infamous P&P & call to order it. I repeat B & Q, white grit, not rock salt, £5.50 for 6kg, I rest my case.

I agree with you. It is cheaper in B&Q, I've seen it myself.
I was just trying to point out that I don't believe he was scaremongering!

Now really! Accidents happen in all seasons and more accidents happen in the home than anywhere else. I am sorry his MIL had a bad slip but my mother slipped and ended up in hospital in the spring. I am sure we can provide data for various acquaintances and slips and falls but it still does not make minus 3 bad weather.

M&M you're not his "Goddess" are you? He sold about 400 of those ice melt orders and at £20 a throw that's a lot of commission for Moet purchases lol.

They'll be flogging sunglasses tomorrow, and urging us to buy them now before the heatwave arrives and the prices go up.
Yes or use them for skiing! Sorry M&M, of course I don't know if you're his "Goddess" but if he's on comission she's one lucky lady lol.

M&M you're not his "Goddess" are you? He sold about 400 of those ice melt orders and at £20 a throw that's a lot of commission for Moet purchases lol.

I do know Mike & his partner. I also know that presenters don't get
commission!

I do know Mike & his partner. I also know that presenters don't get
commission!

I have watched mikes presentation this evening and also read all of your comments about scaremongering and terrible selling tactics. i would like to ask you a question "How would YOU sell it?"

I am intrigued as to how you think he should sell us a product which melts snow and ice without mentioning that its going to snow and snow and ice can be dangerous?

Have a go. i just tried and its not easy.

Kat xxx

I have watched mikes presentation this evening and also read all of your comments about scaremongering and terrible selling tactics. i would like to ask you a question "How would YOU sell it?"

I am intrigued as to how you think he should sell us a product which melts snow and ice without mentioning that its going to snow and snow and ice can be dangerous?

Have a go. i just tried and its not easy.

Kat xxx

Kat, was that message for me? I believe Mike
sold the item as best he could. :)

Kat, was that message for me? I believe Mike
sold the item as best he could. :)

No Dear. i meant it for everyone. i don't think he scare-mongered at all and i would be interested to read what people think he should have said or what they would have said.

To ask him NOT to mention the fact it is going to snow when he is selling something that melts snow is bordering on the ridiculous. but i get the impression that some people on here only watch BID UP so they can come on here and moan about it.

Kat xxx

With all due respect Moet I think we all know that fact. Ice & snow are slippery & can result in accidents, no really?? He actually missed the biggest selling point that's actually on the front of the label of the snow melt he was selling. It says it's active for 7 days & works in minus 25 degrees. A bit of very basic split second research could have saved a pile of waffle! I only saw it when they moved off the product & did a close up. So that's 2.4kg in total of the stuff for £20 quid once you add the infamous P&P & call to order it. I repeat B & Q, white grit, not rock salt, £5.50 for 6kg, I rest my case.

Kat, I think I'd have stated the key selling points of the product that are actually on the front of the label, see my earlier comment lol!

Kat, I think I'd have stated the key selling points of the product that are actually on the front of the label, see my earlier comment lol!

I don't think the fact that it works to -25 degrees and lasts up to 7 days are more important selling points than it melts snow and ice. yes its important and he should have mentioned it. although. something tells me if he had you would have berated him for suggesting 'temperatures could go down to -25 degrees' and 'the snow could last for several days'

Errr actually Kat I wouldn't & A £20 overall charge per twin pack seems extortionate, isn't Bid supposed to be a discount channel? Sorry but selling at such an inflated price compared to the competition to people who have been scared into buying it is not my bag and I don't like people telling me what I would have said.

Errr actually Kat I wouldn't & A £20 overall charge per twin pack seems extortionate, isn't Bid supposed to be a discount channel? Sorry but selling at such an inflated price compared to the competition to people who have been scared into buying it is not my bag and I don't like people telling me what I would have said.

Sorry i didn't mean to cause offense.although i am surprised that someone so critical is so sensitive to even the slightest criticism?

Im not arguing with you about the price, i am sure it is cheaper from B&Q and i will probably go and buy some from there. although you must have admit, we wouldn't have had the slightest clue what it was unless BID UP did a presentation on it. i certainly wouldn't.

the initial issue was that Mike had scare mongered to sell the product. i didn't believe that he did and was interested to read a script of what people on here think he should have said.

Kat xxx

I'm not being sensitive just that the facts of the product may have explained why it was far more expensive compared to B & Q's alternative. If I could buy a product that I kwew would keep my driveway & path clear for a week after 1 application I may have seen the product in a different light. If he'd have explained what's in it, some unique selling points it may have amounted to a better sell of the item. Thank you for your apology xx. I will wait to see if B & Q's alternative does a good job when the time comes & will post on here to see how it fairs. I have also bought a 2.6 ct silver morganite ring from their website that I have been delighted with & have stated this in a thread elsewhere. I like others will speak out if we feel that people are potentially being duped into buying an item under misleading or exaggerated selling tactics & consequent extortionate price, that's all. There have also been 4 ASA complaints that have been upheld recently with more in process of being evaluated I understand so they're certainly not angels!

Well, have to say fair play to the presenter on Price Drop who has just sold this product & listed the unique selling points and their relevance! AT LAST! EUREKA! Looks like someone in this company is reading our posts. Just flicking thru the channels & couldn't believe it! Even compared their stuff to the very similar looking stuff I bought, (name on label hidden but easily spotted it's the same), & explained that the two prodicts are totally different & that theirs lasts for up to a week once sprinkled. No fear stories, just that he's used it to stop his dog from slipping as she's just had an op. Credit where due, professional and judging by the number of units sold successful too! The price isn't bad in comparison to other retailers either as it's not salt based & more effective for longer. Just a shame the other presenters didn't research the product for a few seconds prior to selling.

Well, have to say fair play to the presenter on Price Drop who has just sold this product & listed the unique selling points and their relevance! AT LAST! EUREKA! Looks like someone in this company is reading our posts. Just flicking thru the channels & couldn't believe it! Even compared their stuff to the very similar looking stuff I bought, (name on label hidden but easily spotted it's the same), & explained that the two prodicts are totally different & that theirs lasts for up to a week once sprinkled. No fear stories, just that he's used it to stop his dog from slipping as she's just had an op. Credit where due, professional and judging by the number of units sold successful too! The price isn't bad in comparison to other retailers either as it's not salt based & more effective for longer. Just a shame the other presenters didn't research the product for a few seconds prior to selling.

That was Mark Ryes, I know he splits opinion as he is quite annoying and up himself but I find his pitches to be generally pretty candid.

Quite different to the Simon's, Russell's and the absolutely atrocious George's (YER NOW) of these grubby channels.

What gets me is the way they make it "personal". Agreed, they've been given a set of snow shoes/fire blanket/tv simulator/ice melter to sell and it they HAVE to tell us what the item is for, and mentioning the words safety, peace of mind, just in case is okay as far as I'm concerned...BUT, it's always their mother, grandmother, mother in law, auntie ethel who've fallen foul of not having one of these wonderful products and have ended up in a&e, or have been broken into. Note, the people they usually cite are elderly or vulnerable, obviously the demographic they're aiming for,and imo it does come across as scaremongering.

Believe it or not, buying this sort of thing probably IS a good idea for the elderly and more vulnerable among us as they often can't get round to the shops, shop around, may not have online shopping available,but better to sell them a product by planting a little suggestion in their head than to scare the living daylights out of them!

Latest posts

Back