Today I bought....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I haven't bought, but I'm thinking of replacing my moribund kindle 7 (bought from Q, I think) with an iPad. Unlikely I will get it from Q, unless they have a compellingly better offer than other retailers.

I got my iPad direct from Apple but John Lewis were also selling them for the same price and the cost was a lot lower than the price QVC were charging for the same model. It was also free next day delivery. I would normally have got it from JL, because they offer a good guarantee, but in this instance I ordered a new iPhone at the same time and JL hadn’t got the phone in stock because it was a new release.

I've been racking my brains today..as of last night I was down to my last pennies in my bank account. I had about £13 and pennies left. This morning I checked my online banking for no particular reason and it says I have £36.25...I'm thinking wtf? Not awaiting any other refund, but checked down the list just in case I found something...and no! It has just dawned on me the amount that my account has grown by, is the amount they took on Saturday to pay for the gingerbread (which was I was understood would be taken on the 9th November when I placed the order). The £23.45 transaction from QVC has now disappeared from my statement, so it must be it. Also when there was that mix up regarding the auto delivery for the Slatkin candles that they took both payments straight away, then refunded the money, but it didn't show up on my bank statement as a refund! How incompetent is that? Yes I was annoyed when they took the money early, but as it turned out I was ok, and in the end I thought oh well, that's another thing paid for that I don't have to think about...and now I do! You would've hoped that an email was sent to say we have taken funds from your account earlier that stated, we apologise for this, and if you would like us to return it to your account, please let us know. Like I said earlier, I most certainly will not be ordering anything on easy pay, or advance order ever again. In fact I'm tempted to avoid buying anything from them full stop!

...and lo and behold, I wake to find they’ve taken it back out again! What’s the ****** point in that?! Some kind of clerical error? I was expecting the goods on 9th and the money to be taken on that date or thereabouts. Not two weeks prior, and certainly not before payday! It turned out ok thankfully but that’s really not the point. This is bad on more than one level. Not only could this leave a customer overdrawn at the bank and incur charges, an unexpectedly early delivery date could coincide with the customer being away and unable to receive the goods, or for whatever reason , be an inconvenient time for them to receive the goods. Then to bugger about with people’s bank accounts with no explanation or apology, adds insult to injury!
The customer will make a decision based upon what’s convenient for them and if Q tell you when they’re sending something/taking payment, it’s only right and proper that they stick to it, or at least communicate with the customer.
I’m not sure what’s gonna happen regarding my Harry Slatkin candle auto delivery. Ordered the set and then decided I wanted the next set on auto, but I did them as two separate transactions, meaning that all the funds were taken at the same time. I couldn’t afford for this to happen, so I cancelled the auto delivery and spoke to someone at c/s. They said that they’d put a note on my account to say I could have the next set at the auto delivery price. I phoned again a bit later to ask whether it would be sent automatically but they said no, I’ll have to physically order it myself when it comes out, they were pretty vague and weren’t able to tell me when exactly that would be. So I’m guessing I’ve gotta look out for Harry’s next show? Tempted not to bother as I don’t need more candles, but there’s one in the auto set that would be absolutely perfect for a friend’s Christmas present.
Sorry about the rant - but Q can be a proper shower at times!

I've got a good mind to email a complaint..but what's the ****** point? They won't actually do anything about it. I'll get a standard reply with a half hearted (non) apology "we're sorry for any inconvenience caused" = Means nothing unless they back it up with something that actually shows that they mean it - They won't, so I won't. Gonna vote with my feet..or my hands should I say!!!

Last edited:
...and lo and behold, I wake to find they’ve taken it back out again! What’s the ****** point in that?! Some kind of clerical error? I was expecting the goods on 9th and the money to be taken on that date or thereabouts. Not two weeks prior, and certainly not before payday! It turned out ok thankfully but that’s really not the point. This is bad on more than one level. Not only could this leave a customer overdrawn at the bank and incur charges, an unexpectedly early delivery date could coincide with the customer being away and unable to receive the goods, or for whatever reason , be an inconvenient time for them to receive the goods. Then to bugger about with people’s bank accounts with no explanation or apology, adds insult to injury!
The customer will make a decision based upon what’s convenient for them and if Q tell you when they’re sending something/taking payment, it’s only right and proper that they stick to it, or at least communicate with the customer.
I’m not sure what’s gonna happen regarding my Harry Slatkin candle auto delivery. Ordered the set and then decided I wanted the next set on auto, but I did them as two separate transactions, meaning that all the funds were taken at the same time. I couldn’t afford for this to happen, so I cancelled the auto delivery and spoke to someone at c/s. They said that they’d put a note on my account to say I could have the next set at the auto delivery price. I phoned again a bit later to ask whether it would be sent automatically but they said no, I’ll have to physically order it myself when it comes out, they were pretty vague and weren’t able to tell me when exactly that would be. So I’m guessing I’ve gotta look out for Harry’s next show? Tempted not to bother as I don’t need more candles, but there’s one in the auto set that would be absolutely perfect for a friend’s Christmas present.

I've got a good mind to email a complaint..but what's the ****** point? They won't actually do anything about it. I'll get a standard reply with a half hearted (non) apology "we're sorry for any inconvenience caused" = Means nothing unless they back it up with something that actually shows that they mean it - They won't, so I won't. Gonna vote with my feet..or my hands should I say!!!

You forgot to add - - - - "what a shambles"

Normally I would say complain and give them a chance to improve, but this is Q we are discussing, so there is no point. They will remain a sh*#show regardless!

Not bought off Q, but today I bought an iPad. With vouchers, I paid less than £100 on John Lewis. My Kindle is in its death throes, and now November is cancelled I want to be contact able.

I bought 2 items from Lakeland yesterday and spent 1 hour this morning reorganising my pantry arrangements. They are called Roto-caddies.

Yesterday I bought a Kindle book download, an Amazon giftcard which is a Christmas gift for someone and a short padded quilted jacket for dog walking.
Last week I finished off my Christmas shopping because I had a feeling further restrictions were around the corner and I`m all done now.

I actually bought some items from the Ga-De beauty range because it’s an Israeli company and I was pleasantly surprised to find that’s where they were made, I really do wish Q would inform us on the website when cosmetics are made in China.😒
Am I imagining things or was there a move a few years ago to make it compulsory for retailers to say where things were made? Or maybe it was food specifically? I do wish they would bring that in for all products so we could be more selective. Surely it wouldn’t be difficult.

Am I imagining things or was there a move a few years ago to make it compulsory for retailers to say where things were made? Or maybe it was food specifically? I do wish they would bring that in for all products so we could be more selective. Surely it wouldn’t be difficult.
I spend a fair amount of time looking at where companies have their products manufactured, I'm fortunate to have the time to do it & I regularly check that my info is up to date. I've always done this for cruelty free products & now do it regarding palm oil. When I needed a new laptop I bought a refurb, I know that's fudging it but I couldn't find a non-Chinese one. I've finished my Christmas shopping & with the exception of a doll that was made in Sri Lanka everything was British or made in Europe, even the books were printed here.

I spend a fair amount of time looking at where companies have their products manufactured, I'm fortunate to have the time to do it & I regularly check that my info is up to date. I've always done this for cruelty free products & now do it regarding palm oil. When I needed a new laptop I bought a refurb, I know that's fudging it but I couldn't find a non-Chinese one. I've finished my Christmas shopping & with the exception of a doll that was made in Sri Lanka everything was British or made in Europe, even the books were printed here.
You are very conscientious. I should dedicate more time to it myself.

This week I've bought a light fitting from John Lewis (a Christmas present, on request), pickup next day - take note, QVC - 2 trendy books on mid-century design for trendy daughter from amazon, (cheaper to just look at the house she grew up in which hasn't changed in decades), a sheepskin hat for untrendy husband from Lakeland and a sweater from Woolovers. Hopefully I haven't messed up on the sweater but if it gets donated back to me, I'll keep it as my nod to trendy. I might knit a long, grey scarf to complement it and see who deserves to have my hours of tenderly crafted holes "gifted" to them. Probably me.

Latest posts

Back