Our Marla has cornered the market.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Standing in aTV studio with a different (free) outfit for every show isn’t representative of how most of us live contrary to what the presenters spout.

If you live in the south of a England perhaps you have a longer period of mild climate but
the rest of the Uk spend most of our time in coats and these sort of styles just don’t lend themselves to being hidden under a padded
anorak.
I live in the South but can’t stand the cold. I just cannot understand the edge to edge thing. If you sit in a car all day I suppose it’s OK but I don’t. I want good old fashioned buttons or a zip to keep out the chill.

Standing in aTV studio with a different (free) outfit for every show isn’t representative of how most of us live contrary to what the presenters spout.

If you live in the south of a England perhaps you have a longer period of mild climate but the rest of the Uk spend most of our time in coats and these sort of styles just don’t lend themselves to being hidden under a padded anorak.

Oh but Marla did a padded anorak cape thing some time ago.I got the same look by pulling the duvet off my spare single bed and wrapping myself in it.

I just had a peep at that netting monstrosity and I’m as befuddled as the rest of you. It’s club wear for the young‘ins -throw it over an acid green body con dress, bung on some diver’s boots and some spiky jewellery and get yerself on that dance floor! Wear it on a regular day over regular clothes and it looks frankly ridiculous, especially on a more mature woman. I think you’d get sniggered at. Bitchy comment coming up (my be kind hat is taking a break) but Melissa looks like a scarecrow most of the time!

Question for anyone who's got a MW "piece" (their word) - where does the label say it was made?

Lord knows where you’d wear this sort of clobber! Works Xmas party? But you’d need to make sure that your outer garment is of a similar “throw over “ style. Too floaty for a casual occasion, impractical for the office. Perhaps if you worked in gallery or somewhere.. you could just stand there at the door looking floaty. The Blithe Spirit comment made me think of Isadora Duncan , her floaty scarf was the death of her!
'Looking floaty' - I love it! Duncan had a very strange life, she would love the attention on social media.

I just had a peep at that netting monstrosity and I’m as befuddled as the rest of you. It’s club wear for the young‘ins -throw it over an acid green body con dress, bung on some diver’s boots and some spiky jewellery and get yerself on that dance floor! Wear it on a regular day over regular clothes and it looks frankly ridiculous, especially on a more mature woman. I think you’d get sniggered at. Bitchy comment coming up (my be kind hat is taking a break) but Melissa looks like a scarecrow most of the time!
Your comment isn't bitchy, it's honest. Here's mine - Eilidh Nairn looked particularly awful when she was doing that show yesterday morning.

If making clothes that look good only on slim models (and even then, only some of the time) weren't so easy, a lot of fashion designers would go bust!

These days Marla's designs more often look unwearable for real women. Maybe they would work better if made of better quality fabric, and cut for each size including different arm circumferences... but can you imagine the prices???

QVC will not wean itself off endless polyester made in China from their designers as long as people continue to buy it. They look at their sales figures before they look at social media.

These "designers" wouldn't last five minutes on the British high street. I think there's still too many people who have shopping channel addiction and get a buzz out of buying from these so called designers. You've only got to hear the phone calls or texts from "Betty from Margate" who's just ordered her 50th drama kimono! I know that such manic buying does happen in catalogues and on other retailer's websites, but I think there's still that contingent of folk who'll have the channels on all day for company and see the presenters and the designers as trusted friends. On this basis, this business model is an absolute winner for them and they'll not change anything. On facebook for instance, the majority of comments about the products, the fashion in particular is about 90% negative, but this makes no difference whilst the die hards are still buying boatloads of the stuff!

Last edited:
We've said umpteen times that Q is an American company, and the fashion is for american women. They remind me of the old Amway pyramid selling company, - the product is irrelevant, its the numbers they're interested in.

I know we moan about the QVC Buyers, but they may have their hands tied by HQ in America, inasmuch they have no control of who are contracted to appear on our Q, so have little say as to the fashion that's foisted upon us.

Clearly Facebook Britain is having its say, but QVC America is a behemoth and their satellite offshoots (us) are not big enough to dictate what get sent to us. Again, if the numbers add up then we are still going to get Kimmy's sofa covers and Marla's rubbish designs to cringe over.

Melissa really earns her money with some of the things she has to wear and enthuse over. A huge rectangle with flappy side bits doesn't make you look slim but enormous. And the "butterfly" top is fine if you're pregnant. I appreciate that many of us want clothes that skim the body rather than cling, but most of the MW range simply drown. And, er, a seam isn't brilliant tailoring, it's a seam. One up on a sheet with holes for arms and head.

Both French seams and ordinary seams need to be sewn twice. On a French seam because you sew the hem right sides together then sew that seam on the inside so it doesn't show, and on a normal seam you sew the seam on the inside then need to neaten the edges, which I know can easily be done in one on a lot of modern machines, and I'd guess some clever machine can automate or semi-automate the French seam, too, lowering production costs even further. Even if this can't happen, there aren't as many or as tricky, French seams on a straight-sided, non-fitting garment as there are on a shaped, fitted garment, so costs are still relatively low - and even lower if they're produced in bulk somewhere that doesn't charge much per garment, if as many of them are selling as we're told.

Latest posts

Back