A Whiff of Old

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

One of clients who came to the hair salon where I worked spent a lot of time in Japan, due to her husbands job. She said Japanese people thought western people smelled of milk, as our diet is high in dairy, and theirs is not.
That's interesting. Fresh milk, I hope! Japanese eat a lot of fish. Enough said!

When I worked in a large London hotel over forty years ago I was always wary about going into newly vacated Japanese people’s rooms only because some of them ate wasabi snacks and the smell of it was overpowering.At least I think it was that.Nice people though lol.

Scrupulous personal hygiene eliminates body odour as well as wearing washed clothing. A British resident in Italy (an online group I subscribe to) recently visited the UK for ten days and reported back to the group when she returned that the weather had been so mild, she hadn't needed to shower once. How wrong was she!!
😲

Thing is, the elderly of yesteryear are not the same as the elderly of today (I'm 75) So to refer to an "old person's smell" is a bit of an insult. My Mum and Gran"s generation never grew up with deodorant so used lots of talc after washing, so it was easy to have a 'smell'. My generation started off with a roll on deodorant until aerosols came on the market. There is no excuse today for any generation to suffer with body odour if they have a personal hygiene regime. Even the odours of urine incontinence can be overcome.
I think of lavender,4711 and Tweed,as worn by nan,as old person's smell,not a nasty smell,more a smell/scent rare these days.

Scrupulous personal hygiene eliminates body odour as well as wearing washed clothing. A British resident in Italy (an online group I subscribe to) recently visited the UK for ten days and reported back to the group when she returned that the weather had been so mild, she hadn't needed to shower once. How wrong was she!!

Ew! I know nose blind is a thing but how can people not smell themselves?

We had a local family well-known for their lack of personal hygiene turn up at the local hospital I worked in when the mother needed an ultrasound scan. A transvaginal scan. The stink in the corridor with her unwashed (ever by the smell) was bad enough but when she dropped her drawers the smell was so disgusting we had to leave the room. The head of department poked her head around the door and asked her to get dressed then told her very firmly that we were unable to carry out any procedure until she returned after having a bath.

It's really sad that some people still don't consider personal hygiene to be important. Not just for the sake of others but for the sake of their own health.

And by that analogy the Japanese eat a lot of fishy sushi, so..........
:oops:

We had a local family well-known for their lack of personal hygiene turn up at the local hospital I worked in when the mother needed an ultrasound scan. A transvaginal scan. The stink in the corridor with her unwashed (ever by the smell) was bad enough but when she dropped her drawers the smell was so disgusting we had to leave the room. The head of department poked her head around the door and asked her to get dressed then told her very firmly that we were unable to carry out any procedure until she returned after having a bath.

It's really sad that some people still don't consider personal hygiene to be important. Not just for the sake of others but for the sake of their own health.
I could never do the job of beauty therapists who wax that area.

The woman in question had psychological problems, to be sure. The head of the department should have spoken to her privately, imo, and not addressed her so rudely in front of other people. She must have been able to offer the woman some free hygiene products.

Talking about all the lovely genders AY had a guest on who dared to mention that a particular item would be an ideal gift for a bridesmaid Holy Moly that was a mistake AY went into overdrive saying that we are not allowed to say that anymore I emailed QVC to say that probably at least 90% of customers would be women I got a reply saying they were sorry for any offence caused.
Bridesmaid bridesmaid bridesmaid bridesmaid BRIDESMAID!!!

AY is a disgrace to the female population SHE could do with cancelling!!!!!
I'm 75 later this year and I remember the fight for equality and equal pay. Working in an office and women weren't allowed to be paid monthly or join a pension scheme.

Probably because no one ever asked her to be a bridesmaid.
I’m 68 and remember when I started to work for a bank in 1974 that when a man married he was promoted. When a woman married it was assumed by personnel that she would want to leave to start a family. Women couldn’t wear trousers, always had to wear tights even in summer.

Where I worked was a back office, we never saw any customers.

AY said we can't use that word anymore
When I hear that one person has said "we can't say that anymore" I always think "who put you in charge?"

And the old favourite - 'Mother Of The Bride' outfits. Do they become 'Person Who Has Given Birth Outfits'? Which, presumably, will be a Frank Usher crystal-studded doughnut shaped haemmorhoid cushion.
That comment may be offensive to men who identify as women who have never given birth😜

And I identify as a dog. Actually a cartoon dog who sniggered a lot and was the sidekick to
Dick Dastardly and took part in Wacky Races😋

The woman in question had psychological problems, to be sure. The head of the department should have spoken to her privately, imo, and not addressed her so rudely in front of other people. She must have been able to offer the woman some free hygiene products.
I used to go to school with a girl from a family like that. They all stank, she had matted hair and they just didn't care, even though nobody would go near them.

The woman is terrified of being cancelled. One word wrong and the Trans followers cancel you. Strangely, at this rate, there will be 3 people left in the world not cancelled. 😂
I'm in favour of rights for trans people, except when their rights affect my rights as a female if for example they're allowed into female only changing rooms. We've fought long and hard to get where we are today and our rights mustn't be diminished.

I'm in favour of rights for trans people, except when their rights affect my rights as a female if for example they're allowed into female only changing rooms. We've fought long and hard to get where we are today and our rights mustn't be diminished.
I remember in the late 1960's I was with my boyfriend,now hubby, in C&A. He was getting some jeans or trousers and went to try them on. I went to wait outside the changing rooms and was told that ,apparently ,men didn't like ladies in the vicinity.
She went on to say but we girls didn't mind our men waiting outside the ladies changing rooms for their other halves.
I had to laugh at the absurdity of it.

I used to go to school with a girl from a family like that. They all stank, she had matted hair and they just didn't care, even though nobody would go near them.
How heartbreaking for those children. They had no choice since their parents were incapable of caring for them. What kind of school was that where the teachers or head teacher did nothing?

How heartbreaking for those children. They had no choice since their parents were incapable of caring for them. What kind of school was that where the teachers or head teacher did nothing?
The school was a large comprehensive in inner London in the late 70s early 80s. I was never aware of teachers getting involved in things like that. I often wonder what happened to them and whether she was able to make anything of her life. What makes it worse was that she had over 10 siblings. She wasn't a nice girl and I think she would have been a bully but I don't remember her having any friends to back her up, it was a very long time ago and my memories of that time isn't that great.

Latest posts

Back