A Whiff of Old

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Grizelda

ShoppingTelly Supporter
I saw an advert today by a Japanese soap manufacturer who sell soap to counteract an 'old person's smell' . It seems that from age 40, people's natural body odour starts progressively to change. I've not heard of this before, and assumed that body odour was due to hygiene issues. What do you bet QVC will get on the band wagon? I can hear AY touting it for all the lovely genders out there.

The only thing I can smell here is BS! The lengths people will go to try and sell us stuff- this seems somewhat insulting too!
I think that Australian Body products with tea tree oil eliminate all body odour, and although the BA is very honest about body smells, she never mentions this particular phenomenon. There is a medical name for it. I think it might be true, although I never experienced it with my grandmother. She always smelled of flowers to me.

The only smells I associate with old people are mothballs, and I don't think people use those any more, there's the odd case of incontinence, and lily of the valley perfume! I don't think that old people in general have any particular smell about them, maybe the phenomenon is real but I don't think it merits any special products to counteract it!

I always loved the smell of mothballs as a child. My granny's wardrobe smelt of them.
You loved your granny, I think, and everything about her. That's lovely.

The only smells I associate with old people are mothballs, and I don't think people use those any more, there's the odd case of incontinence, and lily of the valley perfume! I don't think that old people in general have any particular smell about them, maybe the phenomenon is real but I don't think it merits any special products to counteract it!
The Japanese soap is sold on Amazon. It's perfume is persimmon mixed with a Japanese sounding herb. Quite expensive. What does persimmon smell like? I have a persimmon crossed with apple tree in my garden. The fruit has no smell . Plus, it's inedible, but the tree gives nice shade.

I've noticed some old men smell of TCP, I've smelled it a few times. Not sure if they've mistaken it for Old Spice😳

My nan used to wear Tweed perfume and we had our car valeted a few years ago and the chap said he'd put an air freshener in and apologised as he thought it smelt like old ladies,the air freshener not the car.
When we got in the car the smell reminded me of nan and her Tweed perfume.

My nan used to wear Tweed perfume and we had our car valeted a few years ago and the chap said he'd put an air freshener in and apologised as he thought it smelt like old ladies,the air freshener not the car.
When we got in the car the smell reminded me of nan and her Tweed perfume.
I remember tweed lol, that’s lovely to have that memory of your Nan💖

Memories:
s-l1600.jpeg

My mum was given a bottle of Tweed as a present and she couldn’t wear it as it gave her a headache plus the fact she thought it smelt revolting. I remember her favourites were Just Musk and Blasé. In the early/mid 70’s everybody seemed to wear fragrances that would now be placed on the cheap shelf in Boots - The Chanels and the like were what you’d see in a cabinet on the Dieppe ferry !

Latest posts

Back