Anyone ever had a return go missing? Lola Rose return gone ...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wow Toots, this hadn't even ocurred to me. I paid by credit card. Thank goodness I didn't use Paypal, I wonder if using Paypal is worse ... I'll look into the card's policy and see if it can be of help.

If you paid by credit card then there is something called connected lender liability. Basically, it means that the lender ( I.e. The credit card company ) is drawn into the contract and liable in much the same way that the vendor is. So it is ideal if you ever pay for anything in the building industry or online where you pay up front. A few years ago I bought a kitchen and the company went bust between taking the order and delivering it all. You just get a form from the credit card company and they just send you the money back once you provide your paperwork. The only thing is I have in the back of my mind that there is a lower limit of £100 . So, you may not be eligible- but just ring them and ask.

However, my first port of call would be Lola Rose. They are pretty customer focused although you may need to be referred to second line of management. I cannot believe that they would want the amount of bad publicity this would create if it went viral for £40 odd pounds!
Good luck!
X

I agree about tweeting this! Quick and simple and very effective! Very bad publicity for the company. Good luck!

i think its lola roses fault. they recieved the goods and its been signed for. they should stop being tight and give you a full refund. its jewellery yes but not something worth thousands of pounds. common sense should prevail but money talks and we all now what the rest of the saying is....

I'd be making a phone call to Lola Rose again as my next move. Be über nice. Use phrases like "can you please help me", " "I need your help", "the Post Office isn't helping me". Its a strategy I was given by an ex solicitor years ago when I had a problem with an uninsured driver. I'd been given the run around for weeks. Took him about 10 days to get my cheque in my hand. I listened to him. He was so darned nice, but firm. If he said he would call back the next day at 10am he did. He always asked the name of the person he was talking to and their job title.

I've used it time and time again and it pretty much never fails. You need to ask questions that they feel bad saying no to. And if they do say no, bat it back. "Sorry did you say no I can't help you ... there must be something surely".

Grit yer teeth before you start mind lol.

beg and be nice but dont buy from them again. i think in this instance the outcome with qvc would have been better

LR recommend you send by Registered Post whereas you sent by Signed For, which is different. Nevertheless, as I said earlier, your best weapon is the threat of bad publicity. No company should be able to get away with this, because it will happen again to someone else if they do. Write to LR first, since you have a receipt signed by someone apparently at LR, we know not who, so they seem to have received the item back. Use the address kindly given above and I agree, a list of dates, times, copies of receipts and anything else relevant. What you need to do is to shut down all avenues they have for arguing that they haven't received it. As far as you and RM are concerned, the item is back with LR, no matter who signed for it, and that is the basis of your complaint. What I generally do in a letter of complaint is write all the facts first, in order as they happened, then a list of concerns and questions, and lastly the promise (not a threat) of publicising your concerns, whether you choose to go public or not. This has worked for me in the past and I've even had a letter of apology from the Chief Executive of a Health Service, which they know could lead to legal action on my part, but they couldn't argue with facts.

The publicity is working already. I'm pretty shocked and disappointed with LR. They should refund you and take it up themselves with RM if the signature isn't valid.

I think you can return items via Signed For or Special Delivery so I told the PO counter person what I had as he always asks the content and value. He should have suggested something better if it wasn't enough to cover a loss. In addition, I feel that the value should be covered no matter what the item is. If RM won't cover jewellery under SF then the PO should say so at the counter. That way the sender would know to do another method.

I wasn't even aware that there is a variation of SF ... I thought tracking was tracking but apparently not? My receipt has the number, and in RM's letter to me declining the claim, it refers to the package as being a 'trackable mail item'. After looking once more at my letter and documentation before sending off to RM Customer Care Centre, I noticed that the address keyed into the receipt says 4 along with the Postcode. But LR's address is 4.7-8 Chandelier Building, 8 Scrubs Lane, etc. I wonder if that could make a difference as to where it could be delivered? I put the full address (copied and pasted) onto a printed label so as to lessen any misreadings due to possible "bad" handwriting on my part. You know, don't want a 5 to look like a 6 or 8. I'm not familiar with London buildings so don't know if that would a make a wrong delivery easy. Hubby says to rewrite the letter to RM and include this point.

I've been looking at the LR website and under Shipping and Returns it says: and this is beside the point.

Uk Delivery

Our standard UK delivery is free over £50 or £3.98 for Royal Mail Recorded Delivery and takes 3-5 working days.

Does this mean that if you purchase £50 or more in one order that you get 'free shipping'? Maybe I am not understanding this correctly because on this order in question I purchased more than £50 worth of merchandise (even with the two that I wanted to return) and was still charged P&P. If I should have received Free P&P on this order, I am really letting the vendor get away with it. Usually I am good at calling out this sort of thing, I chase after P&P under DSR with QVC (but I must say I don't like confrontation, it makes me uncomfortable. That's why I asked for advice here.) -- why offer Free P&P for orders over £50, if you still charge them for it. So I must have misunderstood this offer.

LR wrote via email that this is not the name of anyone who works for LR or in the building management at their distribution centre. In addition, LR say that RM were not able to give any more info about the address the package was delivered to.

For LR the amount I am out is the cost of one of their bracelets or less expensive necklaces. What if there is something going on at RM delivery or even at LR and this happens to others? It could simply be a one off, it could have been delivered to the wrong address and the person simply accepted delivery rather than saying it's not mine, you're at the wrong address and refuses delivery. I included a return label with my name on it, so it could make its way back to me, if there was a problem. So far no such luck.

Thank you for your advice. I am taking all on board. I thought I'd first go back to RM, see what their response is regarding my appeal and then let LR know what RM says. If RM were to reimburse my loss, I will still contact LR and let them know how I feel.

In my experience Royal Mail won't accept liability, at best they might send you stamps to the value of the postage paid...it's like adding insult to injury. I sent a package for an ebay sale but the postman delivered to the wrong house number and a carer or cleaner just signed for it and left it in the hall, the home-owner was in hospital and the buyer could see her parcel through the window! We had no idea if they'd ever be coming home. Royal mail offered me £3.90 in stamps! Fortunately the buyer caught the home-owner's son, explained what had happened and finally got her item! I was lucky that the buyer was so reasonable. Even though we both told RM that the postman had delivered to the wrong address, and suggested they come and look through the window of the empty house they would not accept responsibility.

beg and be nice but dont buy from them again. i think in this instance the outcome with qvc would have been better

Yes, you're so right. We bang on about how we feel about QVC, both good and bad, yet when a package or two went missing along the way, QVC sent me the form to fill out and refunded me the cost of the item with no further questions. Once it was a Tiffany style Lamp which was over £120.

Don`t talk to me about Royal Mail. My postman has taken lessons in idiocy. I arrived home the other day to find a card through my door saying parcel in blue bin. The bin is at the front of the house in full view and when I checked the bin, yes you`ve guessed it, no parcel. Of course I rang the PO and they said they`d investigate but the postman shouldn`t have put them in the bin anyway. I told them he`d already been told at least 3 times not to leave stuff in the bin. Anyway an hour later my neighbour came home and said she`d seen him put them in the bin so she rescued them and told him he shouldn`t put them in there cos they`d get stolen. I rang the PO and told them the parcels had turned up, my neighbour had rescued them, end of as far as I was concerned.
This morning the postman knocked at my door to tell me he`d been called in by his boss and told off for putting my parcels in the bin and he asked me why I`d rung them ? I told him the important word was MISSING parcels, what did he expect me to do ? Shrug my shoulders and say oh well never mind it`s only 40 quid gone missing ?
He then went on to blame my neighbour for not telling me soon enough that she`d rescued them out of the bin so I asked him did he honestly expect her to stay in and stand guard waiting for me to get home and why didn`t he just shove another card through saying parcels now with neighbour ?
He then said nobody had seen him put them in the bin so I threw him a dirty look and said well my neighbour obviously did and then to top it all he said he could guarantee that even if they`d been left in the bin, they wouldn`t have got stolen. So he`s God now too ...
All in all, he blamed everybody bar himself and simply wouldn`t accept its his responsibility and nobody else`s. He is a prize dickh..d !

Don`t talk to me about Royal Mail. My postman has taken lessons in idiocy. I arrived home the other day to find a card through my door saying parcel in blue bin. The bin is at the front of the house in full view and when I checked the bin, yes you`ve guessed it, no parcel. Of course I rang the PO and they said they`d investigate but the postman shouldn`t have put them in the bin anyway. I told them he`d already been told at least 3 times not to leave stuff in the bin. Anyway an hour later my neighbour came home and said she`d seen him put them in the bin so she rescued them and told him he shouldn`t put them in there cos they`d get stolen. I rang the PO and told them the parcels had turned up, my neighbour had rescued them, end of as far as I was concerned.
This morning the postman knocked at my door to tell me he`d been called in by his boss and told off for putting my parcels in the bin and he asked me why I`d rung them ? I told him the important word was MISSING parcels, what did he expect me to do ? Shrug my shoulders and say oh well never mind it`s only 40 quid gone missing ?
He then went on to blame my neighbour for not telling me soon enough that she`d rescued them out of the bin so I asked him did he honestly expect her to stay in and stand guard waiting for me to get home and why didn`t he just shove another card through saying parcels now with neighbour ?
He then said nobody had seen him put them in the bin so I threw him a dirty look and said well my neighbour obviously did and then to top it all he said he could guarantee that even if they`d been left in the bin, they wouldn`t have got stolen. So he`s God now too ...
All in all, he blamed everybody bar himself and simply wouldn`t accept its his responsibility and nobody else`s. He is a prize dickh..d !

I have to say that I don't comprehend putting packages in the bin. I know that they might be hidden away from prying eyes but you never really know who sees what. Other than the paper recycling bin (ours is a box not a wheelie bin), my bins need a good cleaning! Our postie won't leave anything in the paper box. He's nice and has told us that it's against regs so we understand that. He leaves things next door and puts a note through the door. At least we know what to expect and I can understand a postie not leaving a package unattended. I'm short and have a short reach, I would struggle to get it out, needing to turn the bin on its side and all. Then everyone would know that I get deliveries left in my bins. RM needs to train their people a little more. Some are very good, others obviously aren't.

I'd be making a phone call to Lola Rose again as my next move. Be über nice. Use phrases like "can you please help me", " "I need your help", "the Post Office isn't helping me". Its a strategy I was given by an ex solicitor years ago when I had a problem with an uninsured driver. I'd been given the run around for weeks. Took him about 10 days to get my cheque in my hand. I listened to him. He was so darned nice, but firm. If he said he would call back the next day at 10am he did. He always asked the name of the person he was talking to and their job title.

I've used it time and time again and it pretty much never fails. You need to ask questions that they feel bad saying no to. And if they do say no, bat it back. "Sorry did you say no I can't help you ... there must be something surely".

Grit yer teeth before you start mind lol.

Totally agree with Tinks on this one (there's a first)!! Ha.
The nicer you are, the more people want to help you.
If I get someone on the phone shouting the odds, my defences go right up and I then refuse to help them.

Works both ways, I'm always nice as ninepence to anyone on the phone, even if I'm annoyed as hell, and 9 times out of 10 I get what I wanted.

if something is "lost" ie rm cannot deliver they will usually open the parcel to return it to the sender. thats happened to me.

Totally agree with Tinks on this one (there's a first)!! Ha.
The nicer you are, the more people want to help you.
If I get someone on the phone shouting the odds, my defences go right up and I then refuse to help them.

Works both ways, I'm always nice as ninepence to anyone on the phone, even if I'm annoyed as hell, and 9 times out of 10 I get what I wanted.

Me too. It helps to remember that what you might be complaining about is most likely not the direct fault of the person you are talking to (if you are calling a company's customer services dept). So if you can get them on-side, agreeing and sympathising with you, they become your advocate and you stand a good chance of getting somewhere because they are best placed to do something about it. You do need to be resolute though, make sure they know you are not going to let it go.

There you have it - two ways of dealing with the problem. Nicey-nicey needs time and effort, but if it works and you're persistent, all good. I personally prefer the short sharp shock tactic, sticking to proven facts, which has always served me well in the past. I think it very much depends which suits you and your personality or which you feel more comfortable witih, or can sustain. Both need preparation and the ability to think on your feet if you're speaking one-to-one. Good luck. But don't let it go.

i dont think lola rose have a leg to stand on your proof is they signed for it, thats enough. if they have lost it tough on them why should you lose out. i would tell them that and add you will sue in the small claims court. all done through gritted teeth in a polite nicey nicey manner of course

I think I really appreciated the nicey nicey way with an insurance claim. Someone had hit my car and admitted liability but she had damaged one of my alloy wheels. Her insurance company wanted to repair it but said it would be good but not perfect. I said erm no. They then offered to replace that wheel and it would be as near a match to others as they could get. Again I said no. I asked them to replace all four. They basically laughed at me and as good as told me to bugger off as it would £2k to replace all four wheels. I got four new wheels :eek:)

But there's no right or wrong way just what suits you and the situation you're in.

Have you put something on the reviews section of the Lola Rose website? I'd definitely take it further with Ofcom, contact Consumer Advice TV programmes, also the "Daily Express" has a consumer problems section (think it's on a Monday) where they print consumer problems and take up the cudgels for you - other newspapers have them, too. Basically, if anything like this happens put entries on as many review websites as you can, including sites like this. Citizens Advice is worth a try (as someone has already suggested), but they'll probably just point you in the direction of their Adviceguide website, so I'd look there first (just Google 'Adviceguide)'. Beware of information given out verbally in Post Offices, I'd say - my experience is that the counter staff are sometimes not well informed if a "What if?" question is asked about signed for post/compensation, etc. Go online to look, or ask for relevant leaflets in the Post Office, but remember that information can change.

I've drafted an appeal to RM and will send that first to see what RM says. Not holding out hope as I'm sure RM won't compensate as long as they can get away with saying it was signed for by someone. I'll update when I find out anything good or bad.

Been reading this thread and my opinion is , surely RM would have had to deliver it to the the LR address you sent it to? So IMO that means someone at LR is being sneaky and has stolen it/ lost it ( unless someone at RM did of course) if your going to steal it your hardly going to sign your own name.

I think it reflects badly on LR that they are not willing to refund you the money , If i was you id post on there FB page about the incident , i bet you they sort it out then :)

I learnt some time ago to my own cost that jewellery HAS to be sent special delivery. I have had people in the post office argue with me but I ignore them now because I will never lose another penny sending jewellery back I the 'wrong'way !

Royal Mail responds

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have finally heard from Royal Mail regarding the Lola Rose returns that went missing or should I say it looked as though someone somewhere signed off for them and took them but maybe no one at Lola Rose.

I first made my claim for the missing packages through the usual way. But RM first declined my claim. That's when I came on board and asked for advice from people on the forum. I received a lot of great support, ideas, addresses and points of contact. I first decided to appeal RM's decision through their appeal process. Gathering the same 'evidence' that I first sent them, I added a new cover letter with a few more details that I thought might help my case, such as how the scribble for a signature with only one name is really no way to sign off for a package. As more and more people are buying online and also returning things via post than ever before, it would be a good idea for RM to be a little stricter as to what is acceptable for sign-offs, if things go wrong.

I posted the appeal (via regular mail) around August 5, heard from RM around 7 Sep where they asked for 30 days to investigate my claim. That wasn't very encouraging as they already apparently had my new claim for almost a month. But I have no idea how RM goes about investigating these incidents nor how many people are on staff to do investigations. It could be one or two poor souls buried under a pile of post. Anyway on Sep 18 I received a letter from RM explaining the situation and believe it or not, a cheque for my claim!! Actually £2.20 has been added for compensation. Needless to say, I feel relieved. Mind you, in the big scheme of life with all the troubles in the world, it's a small matter. But it's the feeling that I put something in the post expecting it to be safely delivered and when it wasn't I feel a bit helpless because I can't personally track it down.

In the cover letter, RM states that "Letters and packets sent by Royal Mail Signed For travel with standard first and second class post. This means we do not track or treat them differently from standard mail until they arrive at their destination address. It is here that we obtain a signature for the item, which is then recorded as delivered."

It continues: "My investigations have confirmed that we did not deliver this item, and I apologise for that." I have to say that the apology is also very nice. It really helps because even though it is a small thing in the big picture, it makes me feel that someone listened to my problem. :up:

Some have said that Lola Rose should have been of more help. The emails from them did offer to help if there was anything that they could do. I don't know if they could have helped me or not, but if they believe that no one on their staff was at fault and they truly believe that they did not receive the return, then I suppose that there isn't much they could have done or would have chosen to do. However, as many have said Lola Rose and Royal Mail are the big players here and should have worked together to sort it out. Maybe with the appeal claim they have done that behind the scenes.

A few have even said that maybe if this had happened with QVC that they would have been much better and more helpful. At the time I would have agreed with that assertion. But I am now in a little battle with QVC regarding original P&P credit for earrings returned under DSR. We have been around the bend with this one, Q and I, and I figure that I am going to lose this battle. They are too big and powerful and not shy about using the hammer :mysmilie_365: :headbang: :mysmilie_51:

Maybe my guardian angel is trying to tell me something :mysmilie_17::mysmilie_50: Stop buying, you've got enough :mysmilie_17: That way you'll avoid these little stresses.

Latest posts

Back