Bob mackie

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Just watched the BM show, and is it just me? but it seems such a 'dated' range now.

I appreciate some may like it, and I know that embroidery is fashionable right now, but the styles are the sort that my Grandma would have worn in the 1970's (when tabards were the rage). My Gran would have been in her 70's then - when grannies (unlike now) wore clothes for practicability and being smart , ie pleated skirts, and buttoned up blouses aka Miss Marple. So, as I'm fast approaching the big 70 next year, for me this range would 'age' me even more beyond belief ! In fact if I pitched up in the 2 piece that Carla was wearing for lunch with my mates, they would be stifling giggles behind their hands ! But it seems to be popular with some.

Or is it just me ?

Bob Mackie peaked with Cher's famously gynecological Oscars outfit in 1986. I'd be surprised if he had anything to do with the range these days.

I have a mental image of Bob along with George Simonton and Lindy Bowman playing shuffle board at an OAP resort for QVC has-beens in Florida; the latter two having their plastic surgeon on speed dial.

Oh George Simonton - now there's a name from the past ! it was the first time I'd heard of 'milky' jersey fabric when he came over. He worked under Yves St Laurent and was a teacher at the Yuni for fashionable art or something like that - and what he told us.

Lindy Bowman was the gift bag man. I bought some really great gift bags that lit up when you pressed a button, everyone loved them - in fact they were more impressed with the bag than the gift inside ! I think they only had them the one year at Christmas, never to be seen again which was a shame.

I'm sure I read somewhere that he designed Marilyn Monroe's famous dress that she wore to sing at Kennedy's birthday, hard to believe it is the same designer. Or am I mistaken?

Yep, here it is, taken from a U.S. newspaper.....

...the dress, which costume designer Bob Mackie created in 1962 for Kennedy's 40th birthday gala at Madison Square Garden. ...

I had a few items, on the early days, from GS and they were very well made and lovely material, so I can imagine that outside Q he was a proper craftsman. What his stuff was like in the later years I couldn't say but by that time Q was getting into the China Warehouse syndrome so probably they went the way of the rest.

I feel the cold so have Bob Mackie's fleece embroidered jackets. I wear them constantly and people often comment on them. They wash very well

Latest posts

Back