Can’t believe prices on QVC lately

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I actually watched/ had the TV on today when the annoying, speak over every brand ambassador Andy whatshisname Peters and Dale were on. They were flogging Gower Cottage brownies. £24.60 for 12 tiny brownies, each one weighing in at 46g and costing £2.05 each!!! I'm absolutely gobsmacked that anyone would pay this amount, they don't even look that amazing.
Then came Wilf, of the Welsh pie fame, flogging his Welsh cakes. 30 miniscule assorted things for an eye watering £32.15 inclusive of p and p. That's £1.07 each. Wilf actually said he has four with a cuppa! Bargain hey. I'll stick with Tesco and Aldi thanks. Rip off prices.
Just watched some of the Food Fest show. Over £30 for 8 small cheesecakes plus £5.95 postage. The same for 8 pasties. The prices are exorbitant. I thought there was a cost of living crisis.

Well funny you should say this as I was on Eurostar at the weekend and I had a coffee and a brownie, which turned out to be the most delicious brownie I have ever tasted and it was actually gluten free (not that I need it to be). I can't remember how much I paid for it (probably too much but it was worth it!) When I got home I thought I'd look them up and I was unable to find any stockists but discovered that it's possible to order a pack of 9 for £18. Unfortunately there's a £3.95 delivery charge but it still brings the price under what Gower Cottage charge for theirs. I checked the website and it didn't give the weight, strangely just the measurements but they look bigger, but when I looked on another site that sell them in bulk to trade it turns out that they're approximately 80g each so that's nearly double the size so definitely more brownie for your money. Of course being individually wrapped they're gonna last a lot longer as well. "Gleefully gluten free" brown owl brownies are the way to go for me. Yes, I probably will buy a box 'cause they were unbelievably yummy and gooey with salted caramel drizzled throughout. Like you say I've never rated the look of Gower Cottage brownies, I'm sure they're nice but for something that's got such a limited shelf life and such a silly price I think I'll pass!
Well Merryone I am delighted you posted this - as Cashers said QVC food, which I haven't tried, seems silly prices for nothing special. My brother has to eat gluten free and everything seems to be different degrees of cardboard🙁 We were having a family get together this weekend and I ordered a box of the brown owl. They were absolutely gorgeous - we all thought they were the best we've had 🤗 As you said if it didn't say on the pack it was GF you would never know. I havent been a huge fan of brownies - sometimes they can be heavy and dry. These were deliciously yummy. Even with p+p they work out around £2.50 each, come well packed with next day DPD timed delivery. I'll be ordering more of these for sure 😉 Thanks again for the recommendation 😁 (ps shelf life is around 4 weeks - but believe me they would never last that long!)......

Whilst we're on the subject of QVC food, I'd say don't bother buying any of the pies, which from which I can gather are hit and miss (mostly miss) Try Turner's Pies instead. Anyone who watched this series of the apprentice will know him. He has 4 shops and I'm lucky enough to have a couple of them in striking distance. I visited one of the shops and bought a medium sized steak and kidney pie, an individual steak and stilton, a chicken and mushroom, and an apple and blackberry pie, the meat pies were hand on heart the best I've ever tasted in my life, I ate every last scrap including the pie crust which is unheard of for me. The fruit pie was lovely though I felt the apple was slightly undercooked. The reason for his appearance on the apprentice was to promote his new "pies by post" idea so he could widen his customer base. I went online and I ordered the introductory pack which worked out at £32 when p&p was added. For that you get a family sized meat pie (veggie options available), a tub of gravy, four sausage rolls or 2 savoury slices and a dessert pie. This time I went for a steak and cheddar pie, and a treacle tart. Again everything was wonderful, the treacle tart was out of this world!! When you place your order you get to choose the date and then a little later they contact you with a two hour time slot. The packaging was spot on and I did not begrudge paying extra for it. So before you take a chance on buying any of Q's pies that are probably "souped up" for demonstration purposes, do yourself a favour and go to Turner's. I'm not on commission btw! Though I'd be happy to be paid in pies!

Just watched some of the Food Fest show. Over £30 for 8 small cheesecakes plus £5.95 postage. The same for 8 pasties. The prices are exorbitant. I thought there was a cost of living crisis.
I agree the prices on the Food Fest are absurd. Astronomical. Honestly it’s a joke. If they came to us with free shipping they would still be expensive and whether something tastes fantastic is purely a matter of taste.

Whilst we're on the subject of QVC food, I'd say don't bother buying any of the pies, which from which I can gather are hit and miss (mostly miss) Try Turner's Pies instead. Anyone who watched this series of the apprentice will know him. He has 4 shops and I'm lucky enough to have a couple of them in striking distance. I visited one of the shops and bought a medium sized steak and kidney pie, an individual steak and stilton, a chicken and mushroom, and an apple and blackberry pie, the meat pies were hand on heart the best I've ever tasted in my life, I ate every last scrap including the pie crust which is unheard of for me. The fruit pie was lovely though I felt the apple was slightly undercooked. The reason for his appearance on the apprentice was to promote his new "pies by post" idea so he could widen his customer base. I went online and I ordered the introductory pack which worked out at £32 when p&p was added. For that you get a family sized meat pie (veggie options available), a tub of gravy, four sausage rolls or 2 savoury slices and a dessert pie. This time I went for a steak and cheddar pie, and a treacle tart. Again everything was wonderful, the treacle tart was out of this world!! When you place your order you get to choose the date and then a little later they contact you with a two hour time slot. The packaging was spot on and I did not begrudge paying extra for it. So before you take a chance on buying any of Q's pies that are probably "souped up" for demonstration purposes, do yourself a favour and go to Turner's. I'm not on commission btw! Though I'd be happy to be paid in pies!
I have just got to try Turners after your glowing report. Can’t wait. I’ve tried several times ordering food from QVC and I’ve always been disappointed. I wish they would tell us the truth about the products they sell be it food or anything else really.

I have just got to try Turners after your glowing report. Can’t wait. I’ve tried several times ordering food from QVC and I’ve always been disappointed. I wish they would tell us the truth about the products they sell be it food or anything else really.
You won't be disappointed - Filling right up to the top, large chunks of tender meat, great flavours, but the pastry is melt in the mouth delicious and as I say you won't even leave a crumb. If you like treacle tart I'd definitely put one of those in your basket it's so deeply filled unlike the flat ones you get in the supermarkets. Let us know what you think if you do make an order. I'll definitely be buying some more soon

I agree the prices on the Food Fest are absurd. Astronomical. Honestly it’s a joke. If they came to us with free shipping they would still be expensive and whether something tastes fantastic is purely a matter of taste.
Their food is usually horrendously expensive and many of us remember the complete disaster that was the food (believe it included meat and poultry pies?) that were advertised for Christmas delivery some years ago. There were so many complaints that either it didn't arrive or it was uneatable, so I'd be very wary of ordering anything from Q in the food line, in spite of the wonderful value of the mince pies at only £36,000 a box (only joking here about the price, of course, but they were expensive).

The posh old lady that was on with Eyelid Naanbread was Emma Gordon. She’s on with Alex on Summer Footwear

Alex wearing a dress like an overall my mum wore in the 1950s to do the housework in.

😂
This sums up much of their clothing as far as I'm concerned. OK, some of their stuff's not bad, but a lot of it is great-granny's front room curtains patterns or 1970's wallpaper styles. It goes well with some of the presenting styles, which remind me of scenes from Abigail's Party.
Agree, and I doubt they're selling much "fashion" to those of us who remember it first time around. My sister and I have a good laugh at Kim's crossover-front styles - every woman in those days wore an overall in a similar style.

Those Turner’s pies sound great, I hope his idea takes off I did like him on the Apprentice.
I cannot reiterate this enough, they are amazing! In fact we're planning a trip to his nearest store which is about 11 miles away next week. Gonna try one of his veggie pies, I read on the website that he won an award for the mushroom and asparagus pie as it was voted the best vegetarian pie on test!

Kim & Co cargo shorts £39.00 plus £3.95 p& p. £45 for a cold shoulder top plus same p&p. Words fail me.
There is only one reason I turn to QVC and it’s not their expensive goods. I’m turning to QVC to avoid the dreadfully upsetting adverts for animals in need, RSPCA show some very sad cases, deaf blind children, babies and children with cleft palate, war zones showing death and destruction, the list is endless and I don’t or won’t watch any of them because they are very upsetting and insensitive and inhumane. QVC is my bolt hole because of these adverts. Most of the time I really don’t like QVC. I did once but now it’s totally gone to pot! Presenters shouting over each other or giggling, over priced goods, dull dunderheads like Charlie Brook and loads of new presenters who are in a word, atrocious!

There is only one reason I turn to QVC and it’s not their expensive goods. I’m turning to QVC to avoid the dreadfully upsetting adverts for animals in need, RSPCA show some very sad cases, deaf blind children, babies and children with cleft palate, war zones showing death and destruction, the list is endless and I don’t or won’t watch any of them because they are very upsetting and insensitive and inhumane. QVC is my bolt hole because of these adverts. Most of the time I really don’t like QVC. I did once but now it’s totally gone to pot! Presenters shouting over each other or giggling, over priced goods, dull dunderheads like Charlie Brook and loads of new presenters who are in a word, atrocious!
Not forgetting the constant stream of adverts regarding cancer or cremation, but I know it's a bit of a faff but there's some good programmes on so I guess you could always flick over to BBC while the ads are on instead of having to put up with watching Q instead.

I record all the programmes on channels that have adverts on them and then fast forward when they come on. I can’t remember the last time that I watched an advert in its entirety. If one “escapes” I switch channels until it’s finished.

I record all the programmes on channels that have adverts on them and then fast forward when they come on. I can’t remember the last time that I watched an advert in its entirety. If one “escapes” I switch channels until it’s finished.
I do exactly the same , if I’m watching live sport then I just mute the tv when the adds come on.

Are you watching TV during the day?

Think those adverts seem to peak around early afternoon!

If I do watch during day, it’s usually catch-up on via Amazon fire stick so I can watch what I want to or something missed during that week. But on the rare occasion of having live TV on around the time of Countdown or the like, you are bombarded by charity and funeral adverts.

The other ones that wind me up are bingo/similar adverts!

I’ve wondered out loud before, WHO and how old do you think I am?!

Are you watching TV during the day?

Think those adverts seem to peak around early afternoon!

If I do watch during day, it’s usually catch-up on via Amazon fire stick so I can watch what I want to or something missed during that week. But on the rare occasion of having live TV on around the time of Countdown or the like, you are bombarded by charity and funeral adverts.

The other ones that wind me up are bingo/similar adverts!

I’ve wondered out loud before, WHO and how old do you think I am?!
To be honest BBC and ITV is absolutely dire and we don't turn it on until the evening and then usually watch streaming. Hubby watches the Beechgrove gardening show which is so much better than dreary Monty Don's.,then we'll watch True Crime shows.

To be honest BBC and ITV is absolutely dire and we don't turn it on until the evening and then usually watch streaming. Hubby watches the Beechgrove gardening show which is so much better than dreary Monty Don's.,then we'll watch True Crime shows.
Can highly recommend the re-runs of Law & Order U.S. I don't always catch what they say, so I need the subtitles on.

Latest posts

Back