Charlie Bears and the royal baby.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I wondered how long it would take to mention it. Apparently, someone tweeted asking if Will and Charlotte would be making a George bear and, if so, would it be LE? I'm a cynical person by nature, but this tweet sounded like PR to me. "Well, we don't normally do that kind of thing, but we will be sending the new baby a christmas gift". Two things are for sure: 1. Royal Warrant will figure in their reasoning somewhere - don't bank on it!; 2. We WILL see a George bear from this narcissistically saccharine - induced couple but it will not be an official release, as approved by Buck House. It will be a memento of the royal birth, at a higher price point yet not too expensive, for those who don't have the funds to purchase from a premier brand. Ultimately Charlie Bears is a business, however, and if releasing a royal baby bear will generate sales, then the objective will have been achieved. CB are not for me, as I just don't see the quality. Probably the main USP of the brand is it's affordability to a wider audience. Caveat emptor : you get what you pay for!

All the hype they spin people about these bears being some kind of investment buy is rubbish. A few weeks ago I was in a bricks and mortar Ebay type shop ( no other way to describe it ! ) which was a huge place selling everything and anything on behalf of people and the shop takes a commission on sales. They sold some beautiful handmade original pieces of furniture, jewellery and pottery but also sold antiques, vintage clothes, vintage watches, gold and silver, in fact the list is endless. In one corner was a big cabinet full of Charlie bears and not a single one of them had a price tag of over £30, most of them were around the £20 to £25 mark, some were less. All of them looked in good condition so they hadn`t been knocked down in price because they were tatty or damaged so where is the " investment" in them ?

We sell CB where I work and the sales have really dropped, even introducing the lower priced BearHouse Bears sales haven't picked up. We have a huge overstock of bears as we have received our years allocation and we must only sell a couple a week, CB have even started to charge for the bags they come in so we have to ask customers if they want one. Even the ardent collectors who used to come in have stopped buying, I think they have had their time.

Maybe they'll call it Prince or something like that? I only saw a Charlie Bears hour for the first time today so no idea if there's already a Prince - had to switch off as I couldn't stand watching adults being all cutesy and silly over teddies.

I would imagine there are now more "made for qvc only" bears than any of the others they create. Which makes me wonder if they coin in around £4 mill a year like dear old Kelly Hoppy. If they do, then no wonder they've taken root in the building !!!! (wonder if they've leased an office there !!!)

How many bears do people need? This market is limited to 'collectors' and even they must wonder why on earth they started, I'm thinking 'Beanie Babies', I have loads if anybody wants to make me an offer? :mysmilie_487: What was I thinking ? :mysmilie_854:

Well, I am a CB collector :happy: They really are the most beautiful bears and worth every penny and look lovely lined up along the spare bed. I buy them for ME...no one else and certainly not to sell on later, I do only like the one sort they make, the big grizzly type...although I did buy ~Buddy~ and ~Gumboots~. My grandchildren will each have at least one when I drop of me perch, they can then do what they want with them, but they sure do love those ~untouchable~ bears at the moment! :heart: I have always loved teddy bears, never into dolls, so CB's are right up my street!

daydreamer

Oh i have no issue whatsoever with people who like the bears and buy them because they love and want them but I dislike it when the guests and presenters insinuate they are an investment when clearly they`re not. When you see bears which would have originally cost £50 to £60 being sold for £25 or less then it`s obvious they have no investment value at all. I genuinely hope people who love the bears continue to do so simply because they love them ( the best reason the buy anything IMO ! ) but I feel sorry for anybody who bought them thinking they would appreciate in value.

Maybe if the pair of Charlies limited themselves to just a couple of appearances a year on Q, then 'collectors' would be falling over themselves to purchase on those 'special' occasions. As it is they have become over-exposed, - pitching up every couple of months, and boring the hell out of the rest of us !

Oh i have no issue whatsoever with people who like the bears and buy them because they love and want them but I dislike it when the guests and presenters insinuate they are an investment when clearly they`re not. When you see bears which would have originally cost £50 to £60 being sold for £25 or less then it`s obvious they have no investment value at all. I genuinely hope people who love the bears continue to do so simply because they love them ( the best reason the buy anything IMO ! ) but I feel sorry for anybody who bought them thinking they would appreciate in value.

I began collecting bears as an investment, but I had to like the bear. My collection is made up of premium end brandds, such as Steiff, Hermann Spielwaren, Deans, and other one of a kind bears. CB are NOT investment bears, but there is nothing wrong with buying the bear, simply because you like it.

Latest posts

Back