Decluttering!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ordered myself a Hetty hoover from the catalogue last week and seriously so far I've been blown away. I know it's bagged but the bags are huge and have a built in filter, so no more dusty cannisters to empty and clean, no clogged filter and most of all no more ****** hair wrap...carpets look so clean I'm back on the decluttering mission again. Thinned out the food cupboards and bathroom shelves (again)! and so far today I've chucked out a few little bits and bobs that are just in the way, and a lot of make up. Don't ask me why I was hanging onto a set of tinted lip balms that aren't very soothing and the colours are too strong..they've gone in the bin, a broken clock, and two pairs of sunglasses that I never wear because they're scratched and the sides are wobbly, a bent comb...****** hell the things we keep!

Feeling pretty accomplished as not only have I put a whole drawer/shelf full of board games that we don't ever play, including 2 packs of ancient trivial pursuit questions in the charity bag, I've thrown away a whole load of make up I don't use any more including 3 completely dried out mascaras. I have finally done something with the sound bar I got for xmas! It's been on the floor still boxed in the front room since I got it. Hubby and I looked at the instructions, and because our tv doesn't have bluetooth, the set up was way beyond our know how and would've involved taking the tv down off the wall and getting the sound bar wall mounted. Today it suddenly stuck me that the computer has blue tooth and literally 10 mins later it was good to go and sounds amazing and it sits neatly on the shelf under the computer. I'd rather have it on the telly but maybe when we upgrade, we'll set it up on the telly. At least it's got rid of a box that's just sitting there gathering dust! Anyway that's me for today..gonna grab a cold drink and relax!

I am a few days late, but I'm going to try the mins game again. For each day you declutter as many items as the date, starting tomorrow. So I will need to find 7 items to declutter, Tuesday I will need to find 8....
I also need to go through my shoes, as a pair of sandals literally disintegrated on me on Thursday! I haven't worn them for years, someone else could have done so before they went in the bin.

I lugged the charity donation bag down to the nearest charity shop today..and it weighed a flaming ton, managed to thin out a couple of drawers in the kitchen today and sorted out the medicine box. Familiar old tune, it soon comes round again. Found this beautiful ring behind the computer table, I bought it years ago, it's totally untarnished. I think it's sterling silver not white gold, can't read the hallmark as it's so small, and I think it's tanzanite as opposed to eek. It's got quite a bit of weight to it. Can't actually remember where I bought it, I think it was Q. Totally forgot about this ring and obviously didn't miss it. I bought it absolutely years ago! The flatness at the back is not damage, it's that shape, and actually doesn't look that flat in real life. I'd love to know how much I spent on it. If it is tanzy that it wouldn't be that cheap, but I could've bought it with one of my annual bonuses. I wouldn't normally buy EEK but I could've made an exception in this case..wish I flaming knew lol!

Attachments

• IMG_0138 (2).JPG
    IMG_0138 (2).JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 35
I lugged the charity donation bag down to the nearest charity shop today..and it weighed a flaming ton, managed to thin out a couple of drawers in the kitchen today and sorted out the medicine box. Familiar old tune, it soon comes round again. Found this beautiful ring behind the computer table, I bought it years ago, it's totally untarnished. I think it's sterling silver not white gold, can't read the hallmark as it's so small, and I think it's tanzanite as opposed to eek. It's got quite a bit of weight to it. Can't actually remember where I bought it, I think it was Q. Totally forgot about this ring and obviously didn't miss it. I bought it absolutely years ago! The flatness at the back is not damage, it's that shape, and actually doesn't look that flat in real life. I'd love to know how much I spent on it. If it is tanzy that it wouldn't be that cheap, but I could've bought it with one of my annual bonuses. I wouldn't normally buy EEK but I could've made an exception in this case..wish I flaming knew lol!
If it was from Q, on request they will send you a list of everything you have ever bought from them. Mine was frightening!

If it was from Q, on request they will send you a list of everything you have ever bought from them. Mine was frightening!
So was mine when I asked for it about ten years ago. I won’t disclose the amount I’d spent. 😳 I buy very little from them now so I don’t think it would resemble War and Peace now.

There's nothing quite like seeing someone else's clutter, to make you think OMG don't ever let me get like that! I know I've got too many clothes, shoes and handbags, half of which I hardly/never wear, piles of make up of which only a fraction is used, bathroom shelves jammed pack full of fragrances, bath products and skincare...I went to see a mate last week, and yes she is a bit of a hoarder, she's got a whole wall full of old 45's that she doesn't play cause she's got nothing to play them on, old videos?! - same, and of course umpteen dvds, and cds..another one with too many clothes and shoes, but she also has a lot of nick nacks....shelves and units covered with bits and bobs picked up from here and there, programmes, old tickets and flyers from literally ever gig or night out she's had!...and she's even got beer bottles as ornaments, cos they've got funky or meaningful labels, and need I say there's an awful lot of dust!!!! She's not in a good place at the moment and this has made her living space a lot worse as she's doing the bare minimum..like washing up a plate as and when she needs it, emptying the bin when it actually starts to overflow! I just wanted to say please let me help you get rid of some of this stuff it's really bogging you down! Anyway, I didn't 'cause we had other stuff to talk about, but when I got home, I started to have a look around myself and thought if I can't help her I can do something to help myself! So I bagged up loads of clothes and shoes that I never wear, and various other bits that I don't use and never have to be honest and donated them to a charity shop.
One of the biggest shocks was the stuff cluttering up the bathroom - Fairly recently I bought a skincare set from IW ...It had everything in it and it was half price...it still cost me about £50 though. It contained a day cream, a night cream (great) Then there was an eye cream, a cream specifically for under your eyes, an eye serum, a face serum, a neck serum, a collagen face serum and a collagen gel - guess what -for your eyes again!!!! Only the day and the night creams had actually been used, so everything else went in the bag....bathroom shelves look so much better now, but what a waste of money, and what a fool I am!!! I'd have been happy paying a bit less and getting the day and night cream, maybe a face pack, body lotion and or hand cream!!!

Now I've got rid of a lot of useless clutter I'm determined to try and keep it that way and not buy these "bargains" when my moisturiser runs out I'll buy another moisturiser to replace it..end of!!! Still got the bug, just want to declutter even more...I know you have to be ruthless sometimes when it comes to chucking stuff out...but has anyone got any tips?!
You said it, Merryone. Be ruthless. You won't miss it when it's gone. I know that from experience. Hire a tip, if necessary, and move it out.

I cleared out a cabinet in my hall at the weekend. It is principally used for bathroom stuff I've no room to store in the bathroom. Some went in the bin, but I'm dithering about other stuff.
As I'm doing the mins game and need to declutter 8 things today, I'm sure I can get there.
Yesterday I decluttered 6 camisoles and a pair of pyjamas to get my 7 things.

I cleared out a cabinet in my hall at the weekend. It is principally used for bathroom stuff I've no room to store in the bathroom. Some went in the bin, but I'm dithering about other stuff.
As I'm doing the mins game and need to declutter 8 things today, I'm sure I can get there.
Yesterday I decluttered 6 camisoles and a pair of pyjamas to get my 7 things.
Keep up the good work! I haven't done anything today, might sort out a cupboard later, In fact the umbrella stand downstairs is full of crap and I've got a couple of broken brollies in there as well. As it's the first thing people see when they come in probably best I give it a once over!
I have now requested a list of everything I've ever bought from Q, so that should be interesting reading, and I'm sure that I'll be shocked by all the crap I've bought over the years. Should find out about the mystery ring. I'll have to say it's really lovely and I'm surprised I never missed it! The close up pic doesn't do it justice, as it's really dainty and elegant looking!

Today I did a massive cull of my bedding which was all crammed onto the shelves in the wardrobe with the overspill in a big bag at the bottom. I managed to get shot of 2 large bin bagsful. I've kept just 6 sets of bedding incl fitted sheets, which I think is more than enough for a house with two beds, especially since the summer quilt upstairs doesn't require cover cause it's printed. After all my efforts I have freed up one measly shelf in the wardrobe and of course the clothing is hanging much more neatly as there's no longer a chuffing great bag blocking the way. Good feeling though. I felt a bit sad throwing some of them out 'cause the designs were lovely, but the quality was so bad, they'd become thin, bobbled and faded. Some only ever looked good on the bed when they were brand new. Funnily enough of the ones I've kept, 3 of them are from Primark and I've had them for years, they wash up brilliantly and the colours are still true. I'd say avoid Catherine Lansfield stuff.

Well, I'm now sweaty... decided to have a mammoth try on of items in my wardrobe that were on turned-around hangers, or I can't remember when I last wore them. I have kept some Kim & Co dresses, and some Nina Leonard dresses, and my one Antthony dress, as even with the extra weight, they still look great. There is a place for polyester in an air-conditioned office!
I am amazed at the pricy brands that forget to size up the arms of their garments ... yet New Look managed to remember!
I have got rid of a Phase 8 dress that thinks a size 18 girl will have light-switch boobage! Other than that it's a great dress, but I don't feel great wearing it without covering the top. I have gotten rid of 2 dresses that I look like Bibendum when I wear them.
I got rid of 3 tailored jackets and a couple of cardigans too.
Now the items which escaped the cull can go back in the wardrobe to be worn or go. I am becoming more ruthless, I hope... though there does seem rather a lot on the keep pile for now.

Everything passes the does it fit/ does it look good on/ do I feel good in it tests.

I had to look up "Bibendum" lol...but well done you! I'm still doing the one in one out and it's working for me so far...replaced my 2 pairs of knackered leggings for 2 new pairs. The old ones to be fair could still be worn around the house, but then if I'm not leaving the house I'll stay in my jamas or dressing gown and save the extra clutter. Nearly bought a new handbag yesterday even though I'd have been loathe to get rid of my current everyday bag. I love the bag but it could do with being a tad larger. Saw one in TK Maxx which was pretty much identical but larger just what I wanted. At £80 I was in two minds but I realised I could afford it...went down to buy it yesterday, looked at myself wearing it in the mirror and thought it looked a bit bulky..made my way to the tills, then whilst waiting..I thought "what are you doing?" left the queue and hung it back up and left...If my old bag was literally falling apart or not fit for purpose then yes...but I know It I'd have ended up keeping it.....so good decision. We need to be that ruthless if we want to stay de-cluttered! Ordered some new work shoes instead as the ones I'm in a the moment are literally fit for the bin and when the new ones arrive...that's where they're going - and they were £30 cheaper than the bag...good old Doc Marten shoes reduced down from £120!

I’ve given up with the clothing mountains. Things are bad because my winter clothes haven’t been put away and I’ve got out summer clothes. I usually swop clothes the last w/e of May. Last night I stepped over some of the clothes and tried to close the curtains by pulling on them, this cause the curtain rail loops to snap off. The curtain rail must be old so now I have to either buy a new curtain rail or try and find some replacement loops. I’m enjoying myself going out though and then lying on the sofa watching tv.

So happy when I received a charity donation bag through the letterbox..first time I reckon since the first lockdown. Even better than that it was from a charity that accepts bric a brac as well as clothes. So I emptied the contents of the latest charity donation bag (which was full and heavy) into their bag and left it on the doorstep...yay it was collected as promised. Gonna start another bag soon. Next job on the agenda is to clear out some of the cookery books I've got in my kitchen cupboards..I've got two whole shelves full one being double rowed. I literally use a fraction of them, I reckon I could free up an entire shelf, and the booze cupboard could also be thinned right down again two whole shelves and I'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff isn't even fit for human consumption any more. I was given a bottle of coffee licquer a couple of years ago. My mate was raving about how good it is and gave me a drop when I was at hers, she said it's amazing isn't it...didn't have the heart to tell her it tasted vile and I love Kahlua and Tia Maria..but this is as bitter as F!!! She only gave me a bottle for christmas - it's gotta go!!!!

Had a bit of a blitz yesterday, despite the sweltering weather. Have got rid of cardboard boxes I had collapsed and saved... plus about 20 pairs of shoes and slippers and boots.
All winter jumpers are folded and put away as I had emptied 2 drawers for that purpose.
Today I've started on opened toiletries.

I have cleared another 2 drawers, and don't yet know what content will go in them, if any.
I've begun to ask why I should keep an item, rather than why it should go...which is progress in itself. Working today, so trying not to take on too much.

I bit the bullet with 6 Kim & Co, Nina Leonard and Antthony Designs dresses. Yes, they still look good on, but they are not right for the life I lead now.

I have a carrier bag full of rancid beauty products to chuck out, and more to go through still.

I am also building a pile of toiletry bags to donate as well. I don’t need all of the ones I’ve got.

Last edited:
Had a bit of a blitz yesterday, despite the sweltering weather. Have got rid of cardboard boxes I had collapsed and saved... plus about 20 pairs of shoes and slippers and boots.
All winter jumpers are folded and put away as I had emptied 2 drawers for that purpose.
Today I've started on opened toiletries.

I have cleared another 2 drawers, and don't yet know what content will go in them, if any.
I've begun to ask why I should keep an item, rather than why it should go...which is progress in itself. Working today, so trying not to take on too much.

I bit the bullet with 6 Kim & Co, Nina Leonard and Antthony Designs dresses. Yes, they still look good on, but they are not right for the life I lead now.

I have a carrier bag full of rancid beauty products to chuck out, and more to go through still.

I am also building a pile of toiletry bags to donate as well. I don’t need all of the ones I’ve got.
Sounds like you've done an amazing job... Even though I've cut my wardrobe right down, I still have a couple dresses that aren't right for my lifestyle now. I shall be keeping them because like I said, it's only a couple and I'm blaming Covid for the lack of suitable occassions. OH's clothes are the biggest problem because he's between sizes at the moment, keeps promising to go on a diet therefore is not allowing me to cull the stuff that doesn't fit any more, even though I've bagged up a fair amount, there's still a lot more, and the fact that he tends to be careless with his clothes, is forever spilling stuff down them, then changing, so the laundry basket is usually pretty full to overflowing. A lot of cupboard decluttering I did is due to be repeated, especially food cupboards..but not today...too hot!

I went out today thinking I’d chosen a nice outfit for the day and it was comfortable. Had my photo taken, I look a right rat bag. Still like the dress and I have hardly an summer clothes as the weather s not usually very warm

I am ploughing on with my decluttering... with a deadline to finish by next Tuesday.
I've done clothes, shoes, toiletries and Christmas decor. Tomorrow will be bags.
At present, though, none of it has left the house. Most of it is in sealed boxes, so no temptation to go rummaging through them.
I am working up a sweat in this weather, and I have hair dyed purple. So my sweat looks like Ribena 😁

Good luck to all of you still decluttering in this heat!

A bunch of bags have been washed. 4/8 of them will definitely be going, maybe another one will join them. Plenty more to go through, but I'm trying not to make a bigger mess in the process 👍😁
A couple more, including a mouldy brown suede bag, will be going in the bin.
A further 5 are boxed up for sale or donation.
Next round will be suitcases. Maybe tomorrow...if I can bear to dismantle the mountain of neatly packed boxes.

Latest posts

Back