Decluttering!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Last night I did manage to cull even more clothes as I literally emptied the laundry basket out onto the hallway floor whilst OH was merrily engrossed watching tv. I managed to get shot of over half of the contents. A lot of stuff was things I'd forgotten I'd got. It was that stuffed things were compacted into it! Sounds bad but it's been so full for so long I was literally scratching the surface and things that needed washing tended to be piled up on top so would get done first. As the stuff I got rid of wasn't clean and a lot of stuff was socks (plenty of holey ones too) I bagged it and binned it. Most of the remaining contents are now in the washing machine as we speak....Not looking forward to the ironing though! Have had a cursory go at the junk drawer and the computer table shelves and have got rid of more obsolete cables...and the amount of little plastic packets containing cheapo trinkets given to me by friends who've been on holiday is nobody's business..mainly key rings and fridge magnets..Our fridge door isn't magnetic..but I wouldn't use them anyway - they're not my thing, plus a couple of garish drinks coasters, notebooks, pencils and funny little trinkets you're supposed to attach to your mobile phone -binned those. Gonna give the stair carpet some much needed attention, whilst OH is in charging of shining up the kitchen cupboards and windows. It's amazing what crap we live with without even noticing. Yep most people have a junk drawer, (or two) but it is now my mission to turn it into a miscellaneous drawer and have only stuff that's only there 'cause there isn't a better place for it...eg spare batteries, small sewing kit, Sellotape, travel adaptors that sort of thing..Proper junk is going where it belongs..in the bin!

Last edited:
I am a hoarder too. The past three years since my mother died and all the fall out, massive back story, it got much worse. I don't have much money but poundland etc., is a positive haunt for me. Luckily where I live there are minimal shops so I have to travel around 12 miles in any direction to get to the proper shops. Freecycle and the marketplace on Facebook are also difficult for me to stay away from. But as I now live in a very small flat, can you believe I've now been here 12 years? That's if anyone remembers all the stuff back then. Anyway, my son lives with me. and my beautiful Loki pug. Things got silly, after I had some counselling I was referred on to secondary mental health care. Well I'm still waiting almost 3 years on to actually see a psychologist. In the meantime this year I got a visit in April from someone from mental health. Not sure of his title. Could be a type of CPN but he did get me some funding for the so called de-clutter man to come and help me. After 28 hours I have put a hold on it. I have 12 hours left. I feel it's been a total waste of time. There really isn't much difference. So now Sam has finally finished university, he has a degree and now a masters, it's time to get to work. It's really hard as I have no energy a lot of the time. I haven't had the concentration to read back everything but I will try and read a few a day to catch up.

I'm back again! OH's on another re-cluttering mission by the looks of things. I've been totally fed up that literally every single time he went to the supermarket he returned with yet another (heavy duty) bag for life, they're really hard to store as they don't fold up small or that easily. I bought the set of 4 folding insulating bags from Q, and persuaded him to use them instead..he said they were good but not quite big enough so he bought a set of hummungus trolley bags and when I complained, he said that they fold flat - indeed they do, but they're massive and won't even fit in the cupboards, hence they're just stood in the hallway. I've insisted that once the shopping's unloaded they stay in the boot of the car. Food cupboards are overflowing 'cause he always goes crazy in the supermarket, and can't stop buying stuff from the "aisle of dreams" Aisle of nightmares more like - new shoes that he doesn't need, if I see another microwaveable dish or storage set I'm going to scream! Needed some new fitted sheets as our new mattress is deeper than the old and the sheets keeping popping off. So, I discarded all but 2 of the old ones for the spare bed, which is dressed so that's makes 3, and suggested that he bought a king size fitted sheet to see if that would do the trick. He returned with a warm winter one, and it worked a treat. A couple of days later, he returned with 3 more!!!! It would've made sense to buy another one, maybe another 2..but 3 and all winter ones..aggh so bedding cupboard's chockablock again. A new milk frother because he says the one attached to the coffee machine burns the milk (It doesn't) but as it's attached we can't even get rid of it! And now it's scented candles after my purchase of Slatkin's in decorative jars...4 more have appeared a couple of smallish yankee imitations and two humungus glass ones..candle cupboard overflowing. I ended up dumping the empty jars from the HS candles, despite them being beautiful..they weren't useful and were just contributing to the clutter. I dropped them off by the church were people leave good stuff to take and they were taken in less than 5 minutes! Tomorrow I'm going to sort out those blinking food cupboards..wish me luck! For example we have a coffee pod holder that holds up to 60 capsules...yet he'll buy at least 80 every time he thinks we're getting low..so when the damned things full up there's still a few boxes in the cupboard. I bought it to keep them to hand and to save cupboard space. Like I said i'm gonna tackle those cupboards tomorrow!

Last edited:
I'm back again! OH's on another re-cluttering mission by the looks of things. I've been totally fed up that literally every single time he went to the supermarket he returned with yet another (heavy duty) bag for life, they're really hard to store as they don't fold up small or that easily. I bought the set of 4 folding insulating bags from Q, and persuaded him to use them instead..he said they were good but not quite big enough so he bought a set of hummungus trolley bags and when I complained, he said that they fold flat - indeed they do, but they're massive and won't even fit in the cupboards, hence they're just stood in the hallway. I've insisted that once the shopping's unloaded they stay in the boot of the car. Food cupboards are overflowing 'cause he always goes crazy in the supermarket, and can't stop buying stuff from the "aisle of dreams" Aisle of nightmares more like - new shoes that he doesn't need, if I see another microwaveable dish or storage set I'm going to scream! Needed some new fitted sheets as our new mattress is deeper than the old and the sheets keeping popping off. So, I discarded all but 2 of the old ones for the spare bed, which is dressed so that's makes 3, and suggested that he bought a king size fitted sheet to see if that would do the trick. He returned with a warm winter one, and it worked a treat. A couple of days later, he returned with 3 more!!!! It would've made sense to buy another one, maybe another 2..but 3 and all winter ones..aggh so bedding cupboard's chockablock again. A new milk frother because he says the one attached to the coffee machine burns the milk (It doesn't) but as it's attached we can't even get rid of it! And now it's scented candles after my purchase of Slatkin's in decorative jars...4 more have appeared a couple of smallish yankee imitations and two humungus glass ones..candle cupboard overflowing. I ended up dumping the empty jars from the HS candles, despite them being beautiful..they weren't useful and were just contributing to the clutter. I dropped them off by the church were people leave good stuff to take and they were taken in less than 5 minutes! Tomorrow I'm going to sort out those blinking food cupboards..wish me luck! For example we have a coffee pod holder that holds up to 60 capsules...yet he'll buy at least 80 every time he thinks we're getting low..so when the damned things full up there's still a few boxes in the cupboard. I bought it to keep them to hand and to save cupboard space. Like I said i'm gonna tackle those cupboards tomorrow!
Good luck!

My shame is that if there is any recluttering going on in my house, it's me doing it!
I am trying to clear stuff out at least one for one.

My shame is that if there is any recluttering going on in my house, it's me doing it!
I am trying to clear stuff out at least one for one.
Exactly - if you're doing one in one out, then you're not re-cluttering, ok this might not be classed as de-cluttering, but there's no point in getting rid of stuff you need or actually want for the sake of it. I've not been up long, had a look in the cupboards and it was daunting..so I've made myself a cup of tea first..it's gonna be a long day. I think our problem is mainly oh forgetting how small the place is. Our kitchen actually has a fair old bit of storage space, however, once that storage space is filled, the only place things can go is on work surfaces, the room soon looks cluttered. We have this argument as to just how many variations on the same thing we need. Some years ago, I bought a really nifty revolving spice rack I think it held 20 jars (so most bases were covered) I understood that we'd still have a few things in the cupboard, but in the end he was constantly buying refills well before they were needed, and other things until there were more in the cupboards than on the rack - eventually he complained that the rack was impractical 'cause it was too much of a faff to refill the jars, and some of the things in the jars didn't get used that often..so I ended up getting rid of it. Now I have an entire cupboard full of herbs, spices, condiments...Lord knows how many bottles and jars of chilli, and hot pepper sauces ( I don't even like them!) He bought a pack of 6 bottles of truffle infused olive oil, and when questioned was told the price was too good to miss, and they take up an entire shelf. I don't want to be bossy and unreasonable..but I really think you can have everything you need, and some order! His other favourite thing to do is to replace stuff well before they need replacing, hence having one and half jars of marmite in the cupboard...that's just one example. I bought a really nice slimline vegetable rack on wheels and agreed I'd have preferred a larger one but didn't have room. You do have to pack it carefully, but I think it's worth the effort, but he decided it was only good for really small stuff..so he brings home a massive drawstring potato bag, another drawstring bag for onions and a bread bag (we've got a perfectly good bread bin) and hung them up on cupboard doors..they look ****** terrible,so I managed to squeeze them on to the shelves of veg rack...but he keeps taking them back out and hanging them up...agghhh!
Thankfully the clothing is still under control!

Flippin' hell that's two black bin bags full of out of date, nearly empty and stuff we don't like or used thrown out. food cupboards look grand now. Fridge next.....It's as bad as the cupboards. I'm exhausted so having a quick breather!

Merryone, you are a superhero.
Does your oh have something in his past that makes him over buy like he is doing?
I wonder if it's easy for him to check what you already have, and to accept that if you see a cheap price on something you don't use it's not a bargain at all.
The truffle oil will make a good basis for some foodie christmas gifts...it you want to get a few of the six out of the kitchen.

I am failing on the one in one out at present. I need charity shops reopened for that!

Merryone, you are a superhero.
Does your oh have something in his past that makes him over buy like he is doing?
I wonder if it's easy for him to check what you already have, and to accept that if you see a cheap price on something you don't use it's not a bargain at all.
The truffle oil will make a good basis for some foodie christmas gifts...it you want to get a few of the six out of the kitchen.

I am failing on the one in one out at present. I need charity shops reopened for that!
I do know that his family was pretty poor when he was young and his mum struggled.. I mean that might have something to do with it. He is a very keen cook, and a very good one, so he does make a lot from scratch, so a bit of a mixture really. The truffle oils for instance are now out of date and we still haven't finished the only open bottle..so no gifting them. Surprisingly enough he allowed me to get rid of them. I think today's cull...he helped me with the fridge has opened his eyes a bit and hopefully he'll try and keep on top of it. Funnily enough, I did actually say, though not pointedly, that it's quite disgusting that we've thrown away over three black sacks full of food, when there's people who can't afford to even half fill their cupboards, and he agreed, so hopefully this will be how we mean to go on. What bugs me is that we're in walking distance of food shops...not big supermarkets, but there's no need to stock up like crazy. He's not stockpiling...but does over-buy and always has done. Anyway I'm really pleased with today's achievement especially since the cupboard shelves and doors have been cleaned, as has the fridge..It was actually quite disgusting in places. Bumped into Mrs Smelly on the way to the communal bins and told her I'd culled the food cupboards and fridge, and that I'd found a bag of lentils with a 2016 date..she said don't worry love, you'll find far worse in mine!...I said "yes, I'm sure I would"..she didn't 'arf give me a look, but like I said I'm done with pussyfooting around her!

I'm lucky that the church at the top of the road has an "unofficial"dumping ground for good stuff for people to take, to be honest people are really good about it and only seem to leave stuff that's in really good nick, and nothing's there for long. I think the council remove anything that's been there for a while when they empty the big bins. I had a charity shop bag full of board games and I ended up putting it up there and that got snapped up pretty quickly along with my empty Harry Slatkin jars. Looking back, as nice as the HS candles were, for me they turned out to be a waste of money and I'm definitely sticking to disposables for now on (not that I need anymore for about a year thanks to oh!) My flat is never gonna be in ideal home, but I'm determined that it's going to be presentable and not just a place that's full of random "stuff".

I think the prolonged exposure to our homes during lockdown(s) has been an eye opener. What I see is that I have cramped myself in by having as much stuff as I have. I definitely have some emotional issues, around guilt at throwing things out...around moving on things which belonged to loved ones who have died I need to take a leaf out of the Japanese book, and treat everything as impermanenent...holding onto things which belong in someone else's past doesn't help my present or future! Intellectually I know it, but emotionally, it's still very hard to make those decisions. When I watch hoarder programs, it is a stark reminder that dealing with emotional loss is essential...because it could easily be me!

So I try not to judge others, as I experience a tiny bit of how traumatic they find the decision making.

Merryone you are setting me a super example of grasping the nettle.
Progress is the goal, not perfection.

I take no notice of best before dates, especially if in jars or tins and looks and smells OK.

So it is not unusual for me to eat 15 year old (and older) jars of curry sauce for example, and vacuum packed cheese that's been in the fridge for a year (delicious, BTW).

Basically, I HATE to waste food.

I take no notice of best before dates, especially if in jars or tins and looks and smells OK.

So it is not unusual for me to eat 15 year old (and older) jars of curry sauce for example, and vacuum packed cheese that's been in the fridge for a year (delicious, BTW).

Basically, I HATE to waste food.
ooh I don't know I'd eat stuff that much out of date. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the stuff I tossed today was perfectly safe to eat...however it wasn't being used and I wanted to clean up and clear out..but I'm not ridiculously fussy about dates as a rule!

When I went through my cupboards during the first lockdown and found things that were out of date, I emptied the contents of the jars, tins and packets into biodegradable bags and put them outside in the food bin we were given. The bin men collect it every week. I think they use it for compost or similar. I now put the new stuff at the back of the cupboard and the older stuff moves to the front. That’s the general plan anyway. 😉 Hopefully that will prevent future faffing about. 🙄

The tins and jars and then washed out and recycled. I personally would never risk eating anything that was past its sell by/best before date, but we’re all different.

If you have way out of date stuff in the cupboard, doesn't simply mean you don't want to eat it? Because in the intervening years, you haven't gone hungry... I need to apply that thought more aggressively myself :D

The "Tupperware" cupboard seems to have grown, having a cull again this evening. Decided that I'm going to get rid of anything that's not clear plastic, 'cause as I learned from this morning's fridge clearance that if it isn't, the contents get forgotten..hence a pink plastic container filled with some decidedly manky looking olives, and another coloured one containing some dubious looking cooked veg. We've also got a ton of tiny ones that aren't much use and they just fly to the back of the cupboard anyway..so they're going too, clear or not. If later down the line I decide I really need some of that size I'll buy some more..but can't see that happening!

When I went through my cupboards during the first lockdown and found things that were out of date, I emptied the contents of the jars, tins and packets into biodegradable bags and put them outside in the food bin we were given. The bin men collect it every week. I think they use it for compost or similar. I now put the new stuff at the back of the cupboard and the older stuff moves to the front. That’s the general plan anyway. 😉 Hopefully that will prevent future faffing about. 🙄

The tins and jars and then washed out and recycled. I personally would never risk eating anything that was past its sell by/best before date, but we’re all different.

"Best before" dates are almost meaningless, designed to make you throw it away and buy more, increasing their profit.

But I DON'T ignore use by dates.

I only had a couple of tins that were 2 years out of date, but I wasn’t prepared to risk it having had ptomaine food poisoning years ago from a tin of tuna. Much of the stuff that got sent for composting was packet soups and sauces.

Latest posts

Back