Gemporia accounts - predictions?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

TMWNN - I 100% agree with your summation of Gemporia's current sale tactics - I just shortened it to "dismal state".

FYI - I am an accountant so I've deduced quite a bit from the 2023 accounts. If the results are better for the last 12 months trading it will be due to cost cutting - they seem to be operating to the bare bones based on the current quality and quantity of presenters and stock - combined with vastly increased prices.

They also managed to get £700K redundancy costs into the 2023 accounts so that is an expense that shouldn't be repeated in 2024.

In the year to 31/3/23 they significantly reduced their stock levels and I expect that to have continued during the last year. This is obvious on screen from the reduced quality of gem stones and basic lack of variety. Not to mention the reliance on flogging that awful jade. I suspect that stones previously rejected as too poor quality for sale are now being sold because there is very little good stuff left in the vaults.

Signs that things haven't improved is that the broadcasting hours haven't expanded except for Jeff's weekend outings and GM coming off Freeview, the mass exit of the most of the Bennetts, plus the continual reliance on Jade. I think part of the reason viewers are subjected to Dave UnTruth's 40 minutes monologues is because they simply don't have enough stock to sell to fill the hours.

It's sad if you remember how good this company used to be in the early days.

2017 also looked a VERY bad year for Gemporia based on the figures. I believe that's another year that mass redundancies took place.

Would you say 2017 or 2023 were their worst years?

I think part of the reason viewers are subjected to Dave UnTruth's 40 minutes monologues is because they simply don't have enough stock to sell to fill the hours.

This is why I think Gemporia are doomed under their current ownership because they've kind of trapped themselves. It is clear that they have little stock other than Jadeite, Pearls and Agates, all set into plated/'gold tone' crap.

If this is the reason why Dave Troth is on all the time, then they have problems because looking at the feedback online, most people have stopped tuning into Gemporia because:

a) They're sick of seeing Jade and Pearls every day.
b) They're sick of seeing Dave Troth.

it sounds as though they need both of these to survive - yet they're also the two things that are also driving customers away.

This is where, in my opinion, the third problem comes in:

Because they have fewer customers, and they have a huge loan to pay back, they're having to hike their prices up to counter for the loss of income from a wide customer base.

This has alienated customers further because they're not liking the higher prices for what I, and a lot of others, feel are inferior products these days.

Which leaves the inevitable question - how do Gemporia get out of this cycle? Personally, under its current leadership, I don't think they can.

As I've said a few times on here, I don't think that Gemporia can survive without new owners. It needs new ideas, new leadership, an overhaul of their business model, and a complete overhaul of the 'on-air format' too - with most of the presenters needing to be given their P45 - starting with Jess Foley and Lindsey Carr. Neither of them are natural TV presenters. Neither of them have any knowledge (or if they do, they never share it with viewers), and both are completely out of their depth.

Ellis has become 'stale' and turned into one of the worst for misleading on the channel. Adina has also fallen into giving out dubious claims and dodgy price comparisons far too often too. Angeline comes across as a bit too forward and aggressive. Hattie drives people round the bend with her erratic and shouty ways. Even Rosie Wells has become unwatchable.

There's nothing about the channel that is remotely entertaining, fun or a pleasure to watch these days.

I've also read those directors statements - and you'd think they were written by the current Conservative government, because they're either trying to 'play up' their wording to make them sound in control of the situation - or they're totally deluded and out of touch with viewers.

Like the government, they seem to be blaming everything on Brexit, Covid and the war in Ukraine. Not once have a I read "The directors accept that they've made some poor business decisions that have had a detrimental affect on the business - something that we have learnt from and aim to put right".

Instead, their 'solutions' seem to say words to the effect of "We've taken on board what customers are responding to" or "We've taken on board what customers want and adapted our business accordingly".

Yet they're doing the exact opposite of what customers want. Their social media pages across both Gemporia and Jewellery Maker are full of people saying "Please, no more Jade" or "Not more Pearls" or "Oh god, not Dave Troth again". Even on craft pages and 'unofficial' fan pages of Gemporia / JM, people are saying the same thing. Those criticisms are also repeated on this forum too.

Yet NOTHING has changed, or is changing, at Gemporia. They continue to dismiss what customers are saying and they're plodding on with their 'carry on regardless' of approach.

I've seen NOTHING that suggests that they're "taken on board what customers are responding to".

Their ignorance and/or delusional approach will, ultimately, be the final nail in the coffin for Gemporia.

I agree - I don't think Gemporia will survive long term unless there is some new investment from someone who wants to genuinely turn it around and most importantly has the right contacts to be able to buy some decent gems at affordable prices that can get people inspired and interested again.

And I just don't think that will happen as the world has changed. Back in 2004 gold was £350 an ounce and hardly anyone had heard of stones such as amblygonite, apatite, sphene etc. so Gems TV were able to buy these rare stones cheaply because there previously hadn't been a market for them - high street stores such as H Samuel were not interested in buying them.

Gems TV was able to make and sell a high volume of 9ct gold pieces, many for under £30 and still make a decent profit whilst getting many of us addicted to wanting to own rare gemstones. This is the foundation of how the company was built.

Today gold is £1,860 an ounce - many of the historic gem parcels have been exhausted and rare stones are now in demand and prices have risen accordingly. Gemporia now have more competition for stones and financially, I doubt they are in a strong position to buy. I suspect this is why Steve has lost interest again as he realised when he returned that the cheap stones aren't out there anymore. Loads of mines closed during covid and there are far fewer customers that will be able to buy a ring a week when they cost £200/£300.

I agree - I don't think Gemporia will survive long term unless there is some new investment from someone who wants to genuinely turn it around and most importantly has the right contacts to be able to buy some decent gems at affordable prices that can get people inspired and interested again.

And I just don't think that will happen as the world has changed. Back in 2004 gold was £350 an ounce and hardly anyone had heard of stones such as amblygonite, apatite, sphene etc. so Gems TV were able to buy these rare stones cheaply because there previously hadn't been a market for them - high street stores such as H Samuel were not interested in buying them.

Gems TV was able to make and sell a high volume of 9ct gold pieces, many for under £30 and still make a decent profit whilst getting many of us addicted to wanting to own rare gemstones. This is the foundation of how the company was built.

Today gold is £1,860 an ounce - many of the historic gem parcels have been exhausted and rare stones are now in demand and prices have risen accordingly. Gemporia now have more competition for stones and financially, I doubt they are in a strong position to buy. I suspect this is why Steve has lost interest again as he realised when he returned that the cheap stones aren't out there anymore. Loads of mines closed during covid and there are far fewer customers that will be able to buy a ring a week when they cost £200/£300.
Well said.

2017 also looked a VERY bad year for Gemporia based on the figures. I believe that's another year that mass redundancies took place.

Would you say 2017 or 2023 were their worst years?
I've only had a quick look at 2017 but IMHO 2023 is far worse. Although turnover dropped significantly in 2017, I think this was partly due to the sale in Dec 2015 of JM and the closure of the USA channel. Both these will account for some of the drop in employee numbers as well as turnover.

2016 figures looked really good, mainly because of the profit of £9m from the sale of JM.

If you look at the balance sheet of the group in 2017 it was in a much stronger position to withstand a poor year of sales. The group had net cash reserves of £2m as opposed to net debt (loans) of £19m in 2023. Net assets of £15m (net liabilities of £6m in 2023).

They also managed to keep the profit margin fairly high despite the fall in sales.

Today gold is £1,860 an ounce - many of the historic gem parcels have been exhausted and rare stones are now in demand and prices have risen accordingly.

I agree about the prices of gold, etc. However, ALL jewellers are in the same situation - yet they're managing to do OK. The fact of the matter is, Gemporia have been greedy when other retailers haven't.

We've seen featherweight gold items being sold at Gemporia for £20 to £30. They have done a number of gold-only (no gemstones) pendants over the past few years with gold weights of just 0.09g (0.09 - not 0.90!) - and these were selling for around £20. That equates to £220 per gram of gold or a whopping £6,236.89p per ounce (1 ounce = 28.3495 grams). Even at todays gold prices, that's still a huge £4376 per ounce profit.

Also, I believe the prices you are referring to may be 'pure gold'? Gemporia do not sell 'pure gold ' they sell 9k or 18k gold - which means the profit margins are higher still.

As for gemstones, I have to disagree to an extent. Some of the gemstones that Gemporia sold/sell are not really suitable for jewellery - hence why shops such as H Samuel won't touch them. Fluorite for example being one. Gemporia sell Fluorite bracelets - yet Fluorite is only 4 on the Mohs scale in addition to having a tenacity of 'brittle'. If someone was to knock it on the edge of a table, it will smash very easily. Calcite is another. Calcite is only 3 on the Mohs scale. It can be scratched by a fingernail.

Those stones should not be used in rings or bracelets. They're simply not durable enough.

Most retailers offer a minimum of a one year warranty - so they won't touch them, knowing full well they'd likely have people returning them under warranty when they scratch or break easily.

Gemporia, however, offer a paltry 6-month warranty. They do not stand by their products. They'll set Fluorite or Calcite in jewellery knowing that after 6 months, its not their problem. It's the customer's problem.

Sphene is also fairly soft at just 5 on the Mohs scale - and, like Fluorite, its tenacity is 'brittle'. I love Sphene. Its a gorgeous stone. But would I pay hundreds of pounds to have it set in gold? Probably not, because it will scratch very easily and is also likely to chip if caught on something. Again, once the 6 month warranty period is up, it's no longer Gemporia's problem. They're not going to give a damn if your stone chips after 7 months. They're no longer responsible for it.

As for mines closing - yes, that's very true. However, mines are also being opened too. Just a few years ago, we were told that Ametrine was a one location stone - however, gem quality material has since been discovered in Brazil and the USA.

We were told Alexandrite was a one location stone - but its since been discovered in India and Madagascar.

Pink Diaspore was discovered 3 years ago.

'K2' stone has discovered within the last 10 years.

Grandidierite was named '5th rarest mineral in the world' just a few years ago - until a large new deposit was found in Madagascar in 2017, which led to the industry being flooded with it.

The world hasn't suddenly dried up of gemstones and minerals. They've been mined for thousands of years - and will continue to be mined for thousands of years way after we're all dead and buried.

Gemstones that we're told are rare are not actually rare at all. We've been told since selly-telly began that Tanzanite is 'almost mined out' - and they're still telling us the same today. In reality, experts estimate there is 42 years worth of material in the mine.

Stones that we're told are 'rare' are being mined in the tonnes each year. Diamonds are so 'rare' that almost everyone that is married around the world has one set into a ring! That equates to billions of the things being in existence! How can that be considered 'rare'? Its nonsense.

Even stones that Gemporia claim they cannot get now due to unavailability is not true. There is some GORGEOUS Morganite coming out of Afghanistan. Really pink, untreated, good quality Morganite. Gemporia however, do not sell it. Instead, they sell Goshenite that has been irradiated to give it a very slight, barely noticeable, pink hue - and they flog that as 'Morganite'.

A few years ago they were telling us that they were not going to be able to bring us much more Rajasthan / Rhodolite Garnet because there wasn't much left in India - but there is LOADS available from other locations around the world.

My opinion is, Gemporia are not selling these stones because they're "unavailable" any more - they are available. It is my opinion that they're not selling them because:

a) They probably have a 'pool' of miners / sellers / distributors that they buy from regularly - and will only buy from those vendors because they get better prices or better credit terms or they don't want to be seen to be 'backstabbing' them buy buying the same stones from elsewhere.

b) Gemporia want to cut their costs by buying inferior quality stones and/or heavily treated stones (such as the so-called 'Morganite' / irradiated Goshenite I mentioned) rather than paying for 'untreated' stones or better quality stones. However, those 'savings' that Gemporia are making are not being passed on to customers.

The gemstones are still out there. Gemporia just aren't buying them.

They cannot play the 'ethical' or 'moral' card when it comes to not buying the Afghanistan Morganite, claiming that the Taliban run the country, because they'll happily sell Lapis Lazuli from Afghanistan, and they've still been flogging stones from Russia too. They also buy Rubies and other stones from 'Gemfields' - a company with a VERY murky background and reputation. And when it comes to morals, this is a Company that has had a number of warnings from the ASA over the past 12 months, plus they'll happily flog gemstones with claims of health benefits - despite their being NO research whatsoever that gemstones have healing / health properties.

To cut to the chase, Gemporia's business model was once about offering good quality products at affordable prices - whereas now, they give the impression that they just want to get your money at all costs, whilst providing a sub-standard product with a paltry warranty period in return for your money.

I agree about the prices of gold, etc. However, ALL jewellers are in the same situation - yet they're managing to do OK. The fact of the matter is, Gemporia have been greedy when other retailers haven't.

We've seen featherweight gold items being sold at Gemporia for £20 to £30. They have done a number of gold-only (no gemstones) pendants over the past few years with gold weights of just 0.09g (0.09 - not 0.90!) - and these were selling for around £20. That equates to £220 per gram of gold or a whopping £6,236.89p per ounce (1 ounce = 28.3495 grams). Even at todays gold prices, that's still a huge £4376 per ounce profit.

Also, I believe the prices you are referring to may be 'pure gold'? Gemporia do not sell 'pure gold ' they sell 9k or 18k gold - which means the profit margins are higher still.

As for gemstones, I have to disagree to an extent. Some of the gemstones that Gemporia sold/sell are not really suitable for jewellery - hence why shops such as H Samuel won't touch them. Fluorite for example being one. Gemporia sell Fluorite bracelets - yet Fluorite is only 4 on the Mohs scale in addition to having a tenacity of 'brittle'. If someone was to knock it on the edge of a table, it will smash very easily. Calcite is another. Calcite is only 3 on the Mohs scale. It can be scratched by a fingernail.

Those stones should not be used in rings or bracelets. They're simply not durable enough.

Most retailers offer a minimum of a one year warranty - so they won't touch them, knowing full well they'd likely have people returning them under warranty when they scratch or break easily.

Gemporia, however, offer a paltry 6-month warranty. They do not stand by their products. They'll set Fluorite or Calcite in jewellery knowing that after 6 months, its not their problem. It's the customer's problem.

Sphene is also fairly soft at just 5 on the Mohs scale - and, like Fluorite, its tenacity is 'brittle'. I love Sphene. Its a gorgeous stone. But would I pay hundreds of pounds to have it set in gold? Probably not, because it will scratch very easily and is also likely to chip if caught on something. Again, once the 6 month warranty period is up, it's no longer Gemporia's problem. They're not going to give a damn if your stone chips after 7 months. They're no longer responsible for it.

As for mines closing - yes, that's very true. However, mines are also being opened too. Just a few years ago, we were told that Ametrine was a one location stone - however, gem quality material has since been discovered in Brazil and the USA.

We were told Alexandrite was a one location stone - but its since been discovered in India and Madagascar.

Pink Diaspore was discovered 3 years ago.

'K2' stone has discovered within the last 10 years.

Grandidierite was named '5th rarest mineral in the world' just a few years ago - until a large new deposit was found in Madagascar in 2017, which led to the industry being flooded with it.

The world hasn't suddenly dried up of gemstones and minerals. They've been mined for thousands of years - and will continue to be mined for thousands of years way after we're all dead and buried.

Gemstones that we're told are rare are not actually rare at all. We've been told since selly-telly began that Tanzanite is 'almost mined out' - and they're still telling us the same today. In reality, experts estimate there is 42 years worth of material in the mine.

Stones that we're told are 'rare' are being mined in the tonnes each year. Diamonds are so 'rare' that almost everyone that is married around the world has one set into a ring! That equates to billions of the things being in existence! How can that be considered 'rare'? Its nonsense.

Even stones that Gemporia claim they cannot get now due to unavailability is not true. There is some GORGEOUS Morganite coming out of Afghanistan. Really pink, untreated, good quality Morganite. Gemporia however, do not sell it. Instead, they sell Goshenite that has been irradiated to give it a very slight, barely noticeable, pink hue - and they flog that as 'Morganite'.

A few years ago they were telling us that they were not going to be able to bring us much more Rajasthan / Rhodolite Garnet because there wasn't much left in India - but there is LOADS available from other locations around the world.

My opinion is, Gemporia are not selling these stones because they're "unavailable" any more - they are available. It is my opinion that they're not selling them because:

a) They probably have a 'pool' of miners / sellers / distributors that they buy from regularly - and will only buy from those vendors because they get better prices or better credit terms or they don't want to be seen to be 'backstabbing' them buy buying the same stones from elsewhere.

b) Gemporia want to cut their costs by buying inferior quality stones and/or heavily treated stones (such as the so-called 'Morganite' / irradiated Goshenite I mentioned) rather than paying for 'untreated' stones or better quality stones. However, those 'savings' that Gemporia are making are not being passed on to customers.

The gemstones are still out there. Gemporia just aren't buying them.

They cannot play the 'ethical' or 'moral' card when it comes to not buying the Afghanistan Morganite, claiming that the Taliban run the country, because they'll happily sell Lapis Lazuli from Afghanistan, and they've still been flogging stones from Russia too. They also buy Rubies and other stones from 'Gemfields' - a company with a VERY murky background and reputation. And when it comes to morals, this is a Company that has had a number of warnings from the ASA over the past 12 months, plus they'll happily flog gemstones with claims of health benefits - despite their being NO research whatsoever that gemstones have healing / health properties.

To cut to the chase, Gemporia's business model was once about offering good quality products at affordable prices - whereas now, they give the impression that they just want to get your money at all costs, whilst providing a sub-standard product with a paltry warranty period in return for your money.
There is a third and more likely reason why Gemporia aren't buying new stones which is because they can't afford them as the company is in financial trouble so are trying to maximise their returns from existing resources.

I think you have misunderstood my previous post. I didn't say that gemstones are running out but that prices have risen considerably since the early days of the channel when Steve sourced & bought lots of legacy parcels of gems at knock down prices. Now these are running out as they have been emptying the vaults but Gemporia probably can't afford to replace them.

Yes- the gold prices in my post were for pure gold but the same price increase of 530% applies whether it's 9ct, 14ct or 18ct - you just apportion the gold percentage accordingly (37.5% for 9ct etc).

I am also going to defend Gemporia with regard to your calculation of their profit on the light weight gold items. Firstly one sixth of the final sale price is VAT which goes to HMRC, not Gemporia so if the price is £20, Gemporia receive £16.67. They then used to work on a gross profit margin of approx 40% to cover all the overheads of the business (rent, rates, light & heat etc) and leave a small net profit, so that means they have approx £10 to buy the materials, manufacture the item including labour, shipping to the UK and then finally a precentage to cover broadcasting and selling costs. The actual cost of the gold will only be a tiny proportion of the cost to make a low value item.

They are certainly not making the sort of mark ups on these items that you were suggesting.

Gems TV was a huge success when it started because it could sell good standard gems in gold at much lower prices than the high street and customers could afford to buy multiple pieces every week or month. I don't believe they will be able to find sufficient customers that can now afford to buy the volume of items that customers did 10 or 20 years ago.

Those days are unlikely to come back so I can't see how the channel can survive.

Would I start watching Gemporia again if they replaced the presenters tomorrow with some of my favourites such as Derek Marks, Rob Locke, Laura Schofield, Scott Worsfold and the quality and range of the products improved? Yes, I probably would.

But would I start buying again? I doubt it apart from maybe the occasional piece. I just can't justify spending hundreds of pounds each month on jewellery and that is the problem. The days of cheap affordable jewellery are over.

What's going on with the big loan they took out from Santander?

That looks like one heck of a millstone.

Someone mentioned that they appear to be selling stones they would have rejected before. I agree, I got some real stinkers I had to send back, verging on insult with cracked gems, missing stones, mismatched colours. They tend respond to reviewers complaining about that sort of thing that they'll feed it back to the warehouse team. I very much doubt anyone in the warehouse even glances at some of the things they send out if they're even constantly being given the same 'feedback,' they just hope you can't be bothered to send it back.

My returns rate was very low, mostly because I didn't buy pricey pieces and just wanted things that looked pretty, so if I sent something back, it was truly atrocious. The obvious problems with the pieces were not difficult to spot, so it annoyed the heck of out me that I was doubly inconvenienced, first by being sent crap, and then having to go out and send the piece back and wait (far too long) for a refund or replacement. "You're welcome to send it back," they say. I don't have 'Gemporia Quality Control' on my LinkedIn, shouldn't be my job, not getting paid, sort yerselves out. Occasionally, things slip through the net, but I went from sending about one piece back in a year to something like three in three months, glaringly obvious flaws. I felt like someone who gets a coin stuck in a vending machine and then puts in another coin to dislodge the first one - a prize mug.

It's not an 'emergency' last-minute meeting like the one that was called last year so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Jeff mentioned on Friday or Saturday that they were having a staff meeting today - so it's a meeting that had been scheduled in advance.

It's not an 'emergency' last-minute meeting like the one that was called last year so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Jeff mentioned on Friday or Saturday that they were having a staff meeting today - so it's a meeting that had been scheduled in advance.
Yeah they have these meetings quite regularly.

I think you have misunderstood my previous post. I didn't say that gemstones are running out but that prices have risen considerably since the early days of the channel when Steve sourced & bought lots of legacy parcels of gems at knock down prices. Now these are running out as they have been emptying the vaults but Gemporia probably can't afford to replace them.

If this is the case, this is where Gemporia's business logic doesn't match their financial situation - which begs the question, is Gemporia poorly managed? In my opinion, yes, for a number of reasons.

If Gemporia are unable to afford stones, then the question has to be asked, why do they now seem to be sourcing more and more stones from gem shows?

Gemporia always claimed to "cut out the middleman" by going direct to mine - yet these days, we see little, if any, trips to mines - but they're very open about the fact that they buy from the Tucson show, Hong Kong trade show, etc.

If they're that hard up, you would think they would be going direct to source more than ever - rather than buying from gem shows, where there are clearly middlemen taking a cut.

I am also going to defend Gemporia with regard to your calculation of their profit on the light weight gold items. Firstly one sixth of the final sale price is VAT which goes to HMRC, not Gemporia so if the price is £20, Gemporia receive £16.67. They then used to work on a gross profit margin of approx 40% to cover all the overheads of the business (rent, rates, light & heat etc) and leave a small net profit, so that means they have approx £10 to buy the materials, manufacture the item including labour, shipping to the UK and then finally a precentage to cover broadcasting and selling costs. The actual cost of the gold will only be a tiny proportion of the cost to make a low value item.

They are certainly not making the sort of mark ups on these items that you were suggesting.

I still don't think Gemporia can be defended - and we're both oversimplifying their profits too.

Besides, if part of their decline is down to gold prices, again, their business logic doesn't match their financial situation. If Gold prices are so high that its affecting their business, then why do they do more gold plated jewellery than ever before? At one time, they hardly did any plated jewellery - it was predominantly silver or gold. These days, so many of their items are gold plated silver. Surely if gold prices are too high, you'd expect them to use LESS gold, not use even more by plating everything in sight. Sure, it's only microns thick - but when you're selling tens of thousands of items per year, those micros suddenly become grams, that suddenly become kilograms.

Looking at their online feedback, they have loads of complaints about the amount of plated jewellery - so why go through then unnecessary expense of gold plating everything when a) people don't seem to want it; and b) they could save money by not plating jewellery.

With regards to your other comments; Yes, it is true that Gemporia will have to pay VAT on any sales. However, as you will know, Gemporia as a business will also get to claim back VAT on any purchases too - which will include Gold. In addition, Gemporia will not be paying the 'blanket' Gold price - they will be getting bulk discounts. Even in their current predicament, they will still be one of the largest purchasers of raw materials. They will be getting through, literally, kilos, if not tonnes, of gold per year. That will give them a hefty discount.

As for overheads - ALL businesses have those. They're not unique to Gemporia. TJC offer greater gold weights than Gemporia for comparable prices. As do other retailers. They can't blame their unreasonable prices on overheads costs.

So yes, no doubt I have been a bit unfair in regards to saying they'll be making over £4000+ per ounce of gold - but I think it would be reasonable to assume that they're making around half that amount per ounce.

For example, you've said that the £20 for a 0.09g pendant is defendable - but I disagree. £20 for 0.09g of gold would equate to £220 for a gram of gold. However, Gemporia do not sell a gram of gold for £220. They would sell a gold ring with a gram of gold for about £120 - and that would include a gemstone too.

Therefore, a 0.09g pendant of gold for £20 is not value for money - and even with VAT and costs factored in, they're still making a decent profit.

The fact that they have to try so hard to convince people that their prices for gold are so good actually screams out that they know they aren't offering good value.

Instead of price comparing to genuine competitors such as H Samuel and F Hinds, they price compare to high end stores like Bulgari, Tiffany and Sotherbys. Why? Because they know that H Samuel and F Hinds sell similar quality jewellery at similar, if not cheaper, prices.

The fact that they try to justify their gold prices by ludicrously claiming that they bought 7 or 8 gold rings 'from the High Street' and worked out the average weight vs price is nonsense. For starters, those rings they bought also include other gemstones, etc. They're not just working out the price of the gold.

Gems TV was a huge success when it started because it could sell good standard gems in gold at much lower prices than the high street and customers could afford to buy multiple pieces every week or month. I don't believe they will be able to find sufficient customers that can now afford to buy the volume of items that customers did 10 or 20 years ago.

Those days are unlikely to come back so I can't see how the channel can survive.

I agree that times have changed - and yes, customers can't expect the same as they did 10 or 20 years ago for the same kind of prices.

However, it is still reasonable for customers to expect value for money. Gemporia do not currently offer value for money (they do on some items - but those are few and far between).

It is not reasonable to charge £500 for a GOLD TONE necklace with BLEACHED pearls.
It is not reasonable to charge £30 for ONE Jasper cabochon, when competitors are charging less for packs of multiple identical stones.
It is not reasonable to charge £20 for ONE cabochon that they used to sell in packs of FIVE cabochons on Jewellery Maker for just £8.

AND it is certainly not reasonable to tell lies, deliberately mislead customers, and knowingly sell a gemstone as something that it isn't - such as telling customers that Quartzite is Jade, or Maw-Sit-Sit is Jade, is claiming that Nilamani is Sapphire, and charging Sapphire prices for it, when they know full well that it is Kyanite. It is morally wrong - and almost certainly illegal too because it is obtaining money by deception.

If this is the case, this is where Gemporia's business logic doesn't match their financial situation - which begs the question, is Gemporia poorly managed? In my opinion, yes, for a number of reasons.

If Gemporia are unable to afford stones, then the question has to be asked, why do they now seem to be sourcing more and more stones from gem shows?

Gemporia always claimed to "cut out the middleman" by going direct to mine - yet these days, we see little, if any, trips to mines - but they're very open about the fact that they buy from the Tucson show, Hong Kong trade show, etc.

If they're that hard up, you would think they would be going direct to source more than ever - rather than buying from gem shows, where there are clearly middlemen taking a cut.

I still don't think Gemporia can be defended - and we're both oversimplifying their profits too.

Besides, if part of their decline is down to gold prices, again, their business logic doesn't match their financial situation. If Gold prices are so high that its affecting their business, then why do they do more gold plated jewellery than ever before? At one time, they hardly did any plated jewellery - it was predominantly silver or gold. These days, so many of their items are gold plated silver. Surely if gold prices are too high, you'd expect them to use LESS gold, not use even more by plating everything in sight. Sure, it's only microns thick - but when you're selling tens of thousands of items per year, those micros suddenly become grams, that suddenly become kilograms.

Looking at their online feedback, they have loads of complaints about the amount of plated jewellery - so why go through then unnecessary expense of gold plating everything when a) people don't seem to want it; and b) they could save money by not plating jewellery.

With regards to your other comments; Yes, it is true that Gemporia will have to pay VAT on any sales. However, as you will know, Gemporia as a business will also get to claim back VAT on any purchases too - which will include Gold. In addition, Gemporia will not be paying the 'blanket' Gold price - they will be getting bulk discounts. Even in their current predicament, they will still be one of the largest purchasers of raw materials. They will be getting through, literally, kilos, if not tonnes, of gold per year. That will give them a hefty discount.

As for overheads - ALL businesses have those. They're not unique to Gemporia. TJC offer greater gold weights than Gemporia for comparable prices. As do other retailers. They can't blame their unreasonable prices on overheads costs.

So yes, no doubt I have been a bit unfair in regards to saying they'll be making over £4000+ per ounce of gold - but I think it would be reasonable to assume that they're making around half that amount per ounce.

For example, you've said that the £20 for a 0.09g pendant is defendable - but I disagree. £20 for 0.09g of gold would equate to £220 for a gram of gold. However, Gemporia do not sell a gram of gold for £220. They would sell a gold ring with a gram of gold for about £120 - and that would include a gemstone too.

Therefore, a 0.09g pendant of gold for £20 is not value for money - and even with VAT and costs factored in, they're still making a decent profit.

The fact that they have to try so hard to convince people that their prices for gold are so good actually screams out that they know they aren't offering good value.

Instead of price comparing to genuine competitors such as H Samuel and F Hinds, they price compare to high end stores like Bulgari, Tiffany and Sotherbys. Why? Because they know that H Samuel and F Hinds sell similar quality jewellery at similar, if not cheaper, prices.

The fact that they try to justify their gold prices by ludicrously claiming that they bought 7 or 8 gold rings 'from the High Street' and worked out the average weight vs price is nonsense. For starters, those rings they bought also include other gemstones, etc. They're not just working out the price of the gold.

I agree that times have changed - and yes, customers can't expect the same as they did 10 or 20 years ago for the same kind of prices.

However, it is still reasonable for customers to expect value for money. Gemporia do not currently offer value for money (they do on some items - but those are few and far between).

It is not reasonable to charge £500 for a GOLD TONE necklace with BLEACHED pearls.
It is not reasonable to charge £30 for ONE Jasper cabochon, when competitors are charging less for packs of multiple identical stones.
It is not reasonable to charge £20 for ONE cabochon that they used to sell in packs of FIVE cabochons on Jewellery Maker for just £8.

AND it is certainly not reasonable to tell lies, deliberately mislead customers, and knowingly sell a gemstone as something that it isn't - such as telling customers that Quartzite is Jade, or Maw-Sit-Sit is Jade, is claiming that Nilamani is Sapphire, and charging Sapphire prices for it, when they know full well that it is Kyanite. It is morally wrong - and almost certainly illegal too because it is obtaining money by deception.
Gemporia's technique for selling "Nilamani" is disgusting. Zero mention of it being kyanite, but lots and lots of comparisons to Kashmir sapphires.

Now presenters are calling it the "heir to Kashmir". They're edging closer and closer to saying they're the same stones, but still leave themselves a microscopic gap of plausible deniability.

It's more than obvious that the intention is to flummox, bamboozle and confuse viewers with weasel words into letting buyers think they're getting sapphire and not kyanite. And I know that people have posted on here that they have seen people posting on social media thanking Gemporia for their "sapphire" purchases.

I think that the insidious and deliberate confusing of people into spending over the odds for something that has intrinsically less value then they're receiving us actually far worse than spouting outright lies. I certainly wouldn't trust Gemporia if they told me tomorrow was Wednesday.

Latest posts

Back