Gemporia warned yet again by the ASA...........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

TheManWithNoName

Registered Shopper
The ASA have given Gemporia yet another warning for misleading.

On 28th March, Troth was flogging a Jadeite carving.

He did a price comparison that included him showing a screenshot of another retailer selling a Jadeite carving. Troth said, and I quote, "Look at this piece - this sold for 163,125 DOLLARS."

However, the screenshot appeared on screen VERY quickly before it was taken off again - giving people little time to read it properly. However, I paused my screen and DID read it properly.........

The screenshot showed that the competitors price was shown in HONG KONG dollars - not the industry standard US dollars.

Therefore, Troth was trying to imply that the price was compared to a £129,210 valued piece - but it was actually compared to a £16,510 valued piece. A huge 112,700 dollar difference.

The ASA have issued "guidance on how to ensure that their [Gemporia's] advertising complies with the Codes".

He did a price comparison that included him showing a screenshot of another retailer selling a Jadeite carving. Troth said, and I quote, "Look at this piece - this sold for 163,125 DOLLARS."

However, the screenshot appeared on screen VERY quickly before it was taken off again - giving people little time to read it properly. However, I paused my screen and DID read it properly.........

The screenshot showed that the competitors price was shown in HONG KONG dollars - not the industry standard US dollars.

Therefore, Troth was trying to imply that the price was compared to a £129,210 valued piece - but it was actually compared to a £16,510 valued piece. A huge 112,700 dollar difference.

The ASA have issued "guidance on how to ensure that their [Gemporia's] advertising complies with the Codes".
That's great news, thank you but again it's just another slap on the wrist. How many times do they get slapped before something more is done?

That's great news, thank you but again it's just another slap on the wrist. How many times do they get slapped before something more is done?

I've actually made a complaint to the ASA about this very thing. If I don't get a satisfactory response, I'll escalate it to the almost as useless Ofcom, and then my local MP.

In my opinion, the ASA are not fit for purpose - and I've told them as much in my complaint.

I think that a lot of their sales tactics that I've seen are absolutely despicable. I dread to think how many people have bought from them, I've no doubt some have spent a considerable amount of what they have, believing their presenters & oblivious to what they've actually bought.

I'll let everyone here know how my recent written complaint to the ASA about them goes.

Worst of all is, they're using their TV channel to do it. Naturally I assume that many of their customers think that because they're selling on television, they're tightly regulated. So instant & regular trust is there I think for many, simply because they're a shopping channel.

It seems that so far, the ASA have just issued repeated "guidance" & seemingly light warnings without consequences. Meanwhile in my opinion, innocent viewers/customers are parting with their money whilst being misled.

I remember a supermarket checkout lady telling me that her sister had recently passed away & her family found loads of jewellery at her home, she believed was purchased from Gemporia. She told me her sister frequently watched Gemporia & bought from them for years prior, & near to her passing.

She went on to say that she was saddened at how much some of it cost that had receipts with them & that it'll only sell for a small fraction of what her sister paid for it. A lot of it was unworn & stored in Gemporia pouches. There was loads of it apparently.

When their presenters describe basic & cheap toot as "heirloom, musesum, auction worthy pieces" etc, I dread to think how many people automatically believe them every time.

The ASA can't just keep on giving out seemingly no consequence slap on wrist warnings & guidance surely? People could be spending themselves into debt whilst this farce is going on. People who are addicted to shopping & fear of missing out can do easily.

I've actually made a complaint to the ASA about this very thing. If I don't get a satisfactory response, I'll escalate it to the almost as useless Ofcom, and then my local MP.

In my opinion, the ASA are not fit for purpose - and I've told them as much in my complaint.
Yes, I know I'm despicable with my memory, but did you get proper comeback from the Jewellery 'Guild' place in Birmingham? I know you said you were waiting. And surely they'd do 'more' than t'others?

You do a lot and follow through but you must get frustrated with AS A poor response but thank you for trying.

I think that a lot of their sales tactics that I've seen are absolutely despicable. I dread to think how many people have bought from them, I've no doubt some have spent a considerable amount of what they have, believing their presenters & oblivious to what they've actually bought.

I'll let everyone here know how my recent written complaint to the ASA about them goes.

Worst of all is, they're using their TV channel to do it. Naturally I assume that many of their customers think that because they're selling on television, they're tightly regulated. So instant & regular trust is there I think for many, simply because they're a shopping channel.

It seems that so far, the ASA have just issued repeated "guidance" & seemingly light warnings without consequences. Meanwhile in my opinion, innocent viewers/customers are parting with their money whilst being misled.

I remember a supermarket checkout lady telling me that her sister had recently passed away & her family found loads of jewellery at her home, she believed was purchased from Gemporia. She told me her sister frequently watched Gemporia & bought from them for years prior, & near to her passing.

She went on to say that she was saddened at how much some of it cost that had receipts with them & that it'll only sell for a small fraction of what her sister paid for it. A lot of it was unworn & stored in Gemporia pouches. There was loads of it apparently.

When their presenters describe basic & cheap toot as "heirloom, musesum, auction worthy pieces" etc, I dread to think how many people automatically believe them every time.

The ASA can't just keep on giving out seemingly no consequence slap on wrist warnings & guidance surely? People could be spending themselves into debt whilst this farce is going on. People who are addicted to shopping & fear of missing out can do easily.
This is so me I have gone of the stuff, however, I no longer buy but late but better than nothing.

You do a lot and follow through but you must get frustrated with AS A poor response but thank you for trying.

It's frustrating - but I'll keep on fighting until the ASA and various organisations get that sick of hearing from me, they'll finally take action against Gemporia's misleading sales tactics just to get rid of me.

I was amazed to hear Adina say tonight on the 10 o’clock hourthat Argyle diamonds are far higher on the MOH scale than other diamonds. What on earth. Surely all diamonds are 10 on the MOH scale. Will they ever stop.

Adina is one of the worst culprits now for misleading. She used to be one of the better ones.

NONE of them can be trusted now.

Even Jeff changes when he's on the daytime shifts - so its clear that the orders for being 'economical with the truth' come from the top because he's not like that at all on his usual night shifts.

Adina is one of the worst culprits now for misleading. She used to be one of the better ones.

NONE of them can be trusted now.

Even Jeff changes when he's on the daytime shifts - so its clear that the orders for being 'economical with the truth' come from the top because he's not like that at all on his usual night shifts.
It’s clear that they don’t give a toss what warnings they get. They are going to carry on seriously misleading people. And does anyone know why she continually talks about Golconda diamonds when selling Argyle. They were Indian diamonds as far as I know and if there’s any connection I can’t imagine what. The Argyle she’s selling are not even good quality . Included AND chips. She’s really annoying tonight.

It’s clear that they don’t give a toss what warnings they get. They are going to carry on seriously misleading people. And does anyone know why she continually talks about Golconda diamonds when selling Argyle. They were Indian diamonds as far as I know and if there’s any connection I can’t imagine what. The Argyle she’s selling are not even good quality . Included AND chips. She’s really annoying tonight.

Hence why i'll keep on pushing until something other than warnings is done to deter them. The only way they'll re-think their actions is when it costs them financially (i.e., a broadcasting suspension as punishment other than repeated 'warnings')

As for the Golconda link. Probably down to perceived rarity or value. They also have an obsession within referring to 'Kashmir' whenever they flog anything too.

"If this was a Kashmir Sapphire, then it'd be worth............" - well it isn't, it's a crappy diffused Sapphire from Madagascar.

"The finest quality Aquamarine from Kashmir is valued at.............." - yeah, but yours is commercial grade Aquamarine with barely any colour from Brazil, which is why you're flogging it for £15.

If my car was made in the Aston Martin factory then it'd be an Aston Martin - but it wasn't, so it's not............

Pointless nonsense!

Absolutely.

I don’t trust any of them now. Bought for years and years but stopped about a year ago. Don’t mind some of Katie’s products, but others such as the mascara hopeless, and fix perfect t really sticky, gave to a friend as I wouldn’t use it, she threw in the bin !

I don’t trust any of them now. Bought for years and years but stopped about a year ago. Don’t mind some of Katie’s products, but others such as the mascara hopeless, and fix perfect t really sticky, gave to a friend as I wouldn’t use it, she threw in the bin !
Did you throw some constructive criticism her way? ;)

Hence why i'll keep on pushing until something other than warnings is done to deter them. The only way they'll re-think their actions is when it costs them financially (i.e., a broadcasting suspension as punishment other than repeated 'warnings')

As for the Golconda link. Probably down to perceived rarity or value. They also have an obsession within referring to 'Kashmir' whenever they flog anything too.

"If this was a Kashmir Sapphire, then it'd be worth............" - well it isn't, it's a crappy diffused Sapphire from Madagascar.

"The finest quality Aquamarine from Kashmir is valued at.............." - yeah, but yours is commercial grade Aquamarine with barely any colour from Brazil, which is why you're flogging it for £15.

If my car was made in the Aston Martin factory then it'd be an Aston Martin - but it wasn't, so it's not............

Pointless nonsense!

Absolutely.
I've just started another thread regards cheating customers. Lindsey has been selling a AA Tanzanite ring but what she's not saying is that of the 13 Tanzanites only 1 is AA, the other 12 are of the lower grade of A.
And they did a presentation on Cuprian Tourmaline this morning but added at least £100 to the prices. Surely something can be done about them.

Latest posts

Back