Hotel Chocolat TSV 17/10/20

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Question for Strato or anyone else who bought the velvetiser. Now we have a milk frother attached to our Nespresso machine, so I decided to give making some cocoa in it. It was successful as in I got a warm enough, smooth, well mixed drink. It was quick, and mess free, but frothy it was not. It was very smooth - not sure I'd describe it as velvety, and I'm not convinced that it was any better than it would've had been had I made it up in a saucepan the old fashioned way. Hard to tell as I've not had a proper milky hot chocolate drink for years as I usually just buy those instant ones that you add hot water to. My question is - how does the drink made in a velvetiser come out? Is it frothy? creamy on top? or just a nice smooth drink?
I've only tried semi skimmed milk with the Velvetiser, I'd say nice and smooth, no froth.

I've been working my way through the sachet flavours, and not keen on the majority of them. The only ones I'd buy are the 50% milk, and possibly the salted caramel though I couldn't detect any saltiness. I quite liked the white chocolate vanilla (tasted like Nestle Milky Bar). The rest were too dark chocolate for me, and the Cafe Latte was the sweetest by far, I didn't like it at all, so I mixed the 85% chocolate with 2 Cafe Latte sachets to make them drinkable using 25g rather than 35g.

I've been working my way through the sachet flavours, and not keen on the majority of them. The only ones I'd buy are the 50% milk, and possibly the salted caramel though I couldn't detect any saltiness. I quite liked the white chocolate vanilla (tasted like Nestle Milky Bar). The rest were too dark chocolate for me, and the Cafe Latte was the sweetest by far, I didn't like it at all, so I mixed the 85% chocolate with 2 Cafe Latte sachets to make them drinkable using 25g rather than 35g.

That makes it an expensive drink, 2 lattes + most of a choc sachet.

Can I ask, those of you who bought the Velvetiser have you registered it for warranty purposes per the card included in the box? I submitted the online form this morning, but would have expected as a minimum an onscreen confirmation or an email confirmation, but nothing so far.

Can I ask, those of you who bought the Velvetiser have you registered it for warranty purposes per the card included in the box? I submitted the online form this morning, but would have expected as a minimum an onscreen confirmation or an email confirmation, but nothing so far.
Yes I registered and had confirmation about 5 days later with a money off code.

Totally disgusted with both Q and HC.

I ordered the TSV as soon as it was available to go direct to my sister. Other than email confirmation of order neither of us have received any communication from either company.

Parcel arrived at her home today which might be it which is 19 days after order. I had ordered this from Amazon 10 days before for another gift and it arrived day after order.

I tried some of Lidl's finest salted caramel hot chocolate powder in my Aeroccino and it was lovely and smooth and warm. It was a little sweet for my liking...but it made me think - If this was the result I got for spending in the realms of £80-£100 - I wouldn't think it was worth it, in fact I'd feel robbed! I'm tempted to try very finely grated chocolate, ok it may not work as it might clog up, but I'm prepared to give it a try. I can even buy a tub of HC's choc flakes with my 25% discount bringing it down to £6.75..still dear but cheap enough to satisfy my curiosity. I really wish I could try a hot choc made in a velvetiser to see if the hype is true, or whether indeed what I make in the Aeroccino is in any way comparible. I've missed the tsv anyway, but wouldn't be prepared to pay postage costs both ways to make use of the mbg. Discount at work is only 12% on electrical items, so it would still work out too pricey. It would be great if it was included as a black Friday deal, but it isn't. I would be prepared to stump up £50 for one, but no more! Fussy sod aren't I?
I can't even find a deal on Ebay, even the used ones are £50 upwards and rising..someone is even asking more than the price of a brand new one for a pre-owned one!

Last edited:
I tried some of Lidl's finest salted caramel hot chocolate powder in my Aeroccino and it was lovely and smooth and warm. It was a little sweet for my liking...but it made me think - If this was the result I got for spending in the realms of £80-£100 - I wouldn't think it was worth it, in fact I'd feel robbed! I'm tempted to try very finely grated chocolate, ok it may not work as it might clog up, but I'm prepared to give it a try. I can even buy a tub of HC's choc flakes with my 25% discount bringing it down to £6.75..still dear but cheap enough to satisfy my curiosity. I really wish I could try a hot choc made in a velvetiser to see if the hype is true, or whether indeed what I make in the Aeroccino is in any way comparible. I've missed the tsv anyway, but wouldn't be prepared to pay postage costs both ways to make use of the mbg. Discount at work is only 12% on electrical items, so it would still work out too pricey. It would be great if it was included as a black Friday deal, but it isn't. I would be prepared to stump up £50 for one, but no more! Fussy sod aren't I?
I can't even find a deal on Ebay, even the used ones are £50 upwards and rising..someone is even asking more than the price of a brand new one for a pre-owned one!
Did I need a Velvetiser? No. Did I know I wanted one? No😆. Just happened to stumble across it on a once in a blue moon look at qvc. Strato's link to the YouTube review/testing of cheaper chocolate in the Velvetiser swayed me. Did I ever dream I'd pay £90 to warm some milk? Not on your life. Is it better than any other similar gadget? I don't know as I've not tried any others. It is better than than heating milk in a pan or microwave and start/stop/test for right temperature and consistency. No regrets from me in purchasing, will enjoy it over the autumn & winter months, a luxury spend but then no money was spent on trips away this year for obvious reasons.

Did I need a Velvetiser? No. Did I know I wanted one? No😆. Just happened to stumble across it on a once in a blue moon look at qvc. Strato's link to the YouTube review/testing of cheaper chocolate in the Velvetiser swayed me. Did I ever dream I'd pay £90 to warm some milk? Not on your life. Is it better than any other similar gadget? I don't know as I've not tried any others. It is better than than heating milk in a pan or microwave and start/stop/test for right temperature and consistency. No regrets from me in purchasing, will enjoy it over the autumn & winter months, a luxury spend but then no money was spent on trips away this year for obvious reasons.

Aldi have a hot chocolate maker thingy, which looks the same as the hotel chocolate one for 40 quid.
Well spotted! As you were typing that, I was literally just in Lidl buying their milk frother which is in the middle aisle this week (£19.99) as I believe it can be used for hot choc as well. In fact, it’s discussed earlier in this thread, isn‘t? alter ego?

Sadly, it’s sold out at Aldi, it says. Or do they say that, like QVC do, before things are actually available?

Well spotted! As you were typing that, I was literally just in Lidl buying their milk frother which is in the middle aisle this week (£19.99) as I believe it can be used for hot choc as well. In fact, it’s discussed earlier in this thread, isn‘t? alter ego?

Sadly, it’s sold out at Aldi, it says. Or do they say that, like QVC do, before things are actually available?

It won’t be live for about another week.

Latest posts

Back