I won’t be using IW again!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I bought a pair of t shirts from them a couple of days ago as I’ve just thrown out some tatty ones. I spent less than a tenner including the postage. I’m still waiting for them to arrive, but this morning I received a phone call from a lady asking for me in person- I said yes that’s me, who’s calling please. The very cheerful woman said “I’m from Ideal World, you bought a couple of t-shirts”, yes I said expecting to be told there was a problem with my order. She continued “thank you so much for buying the t- shirts , I hope you really love them, and to say than you were sending you some gifts in the post free of charge. I said oh right, then she started speaking at double the speed and I heard the word trial, 21 days and no obligation. I immediately realised it’s the old “savings club trick” basically if you receive it and don’t opt out , or worse still Bon it as junk mail you’ll be stung for about £100. I told her in no uncertain terms not to send me this “gift “. So sneaky- they used to be a bit more up front but had I just hung up- she might well have sent it anyway. Anyway not shopping there again! 😡

Gifts in the post? I dread to think what those could be.. A used toilet roll, a broken eyebrow repair kit, a Wall’s refrozen Lord Toffingham…Nothing of any use or value, I’m sure. They sell enough ’free gift’ quality items and want money for them…

I feel rather unnerved that they keep your card details "open" after you have closed your purchase, and that had I not been on the ball and accepted the "gift" and subsequently not "opted out" in time, they would be able to lift a lot of money from my bank account without my signature. I think this is terrible and should not be legal!

Unfortunately, especially with the old 'talk very quickly' trick, some people will be conned into this. I say 'conned' intentionally as they're not simply sending a free gift with no obligation.

Guaranteed it'll be more difficult to get out of the 'free trial' than it would be to escape from Fort Knox ;)

I always order from IW on the website and pay by PayPal so they don’t know my card details. I refuse to ring them on their expensive number and I’ve heard that if you do order by phone then that’s when they often follow up with a phone call about their “club.”

I always order from IW on the website and pay by PayPal so they don’t know my card details. I refuse to ring them on their expensive number and I’ve heard that if you do order by phone then that’s when they often follow up with a phone call about their “club.”
That's a good idea, never thought of that. I ordered online and not via the phone lines. I used to shop a fair bit and have received the odd call regarding the savings club, but this purchase has been my first for a long long time - a good few years. I can sort of understand it if I was a regular customer of theirs but to buy a couple of cheap t shirts and be called before the damned things have even reached me (still not got them btw) is a bit much! I've not been happy about this call in the past, but this one was different somehow. There was no "are you interested in, would you like, we would like to send" It was "we ARE sending you", what if I'd have just said ok thanks bye? I'd have received this package of offers that are available for nothing all over the internet..bogof deals, savings etc and had I not bothered to read it properly might not have realised that in order not to have a large amount of money taken from my bank account I would have to phone them to cancel the "arrangement". I have had a look into this and from what I understand, the free gift is the "welcome pack" itself they usually charge £2.99 for it and a packet of blinking seeds! Great...er not!!! I also read that someone had inadvertently agreed to accept it and when it turned up a while later she threw the whole lot in the bin. It wasn't until £104 was taken from her bank account that she realised what had happened. This really does not sit right with me. I was on the verge on getting caught out myself yesterday, if I hadn't recognised some of the high speed garbled information she gave me before I hung up!

That's a good idea, never thought of that. I ordered online and not via the phone lines. I used to shop a fair bit and have received the odd call regarding the savings club, but this purchase has been my first for a long long time - a good few years. I can sort of understand it if I was a regular customer of theirs but to buy a couple of cheap t shirts and be called before the damned things have even reached me (still not got them btw) is a bit much! I've not been happy about this call in the past, but this one was different somehow. There was no "are you interested in, would you like, we would like to send" It was "we ARE sending you", what if I'd have just said ok thanks bye? I'd have received this package of offers that are available for nothing all over the internet..bogof deals, savings etc and had I not bothered to read it properly might not have realised that in order not to have a large amount of money taken from my bank account I would have to phone them to cancel the "arrangement". I have had a look into this and from what I understand, the free gift is the "welcome pack" itself they usually charge £2.99 for it and a packet of blinking seeds! Great...er not!!! I also read that someone had inadvertently agreed to accept it and when it turned up a while later she threw the whole lot in the bin. It wasn't until £104 was taken from her bank account that she realised what had happened. This really does not sit right with me. I was on the verge on getting caught out myself yesterday, if I hadn't recognised some of the high speed garbled information she gave me before I hung up!
I'm not a lawyer but I wonder if this is legal. I've had a quick look online.

Companies are allowed to store your card details as long as they are not misused. In my opinion this is misuse as they don't make it clear what the club is (or even that you are signing up to a club) and the default position is, unless you contact them, you are automatically enrolled and your card used to pay for it.

That in itself doesn't sound right - it's not like a membership on direct debit which automatically renews unless you cancel. That would be something you had actively signed up to. I'm a member of bothcthe National Gallery and Historic Royal Palaces and both send an email about a month before the year is up informing me what date they will take their money if I don't cancel. Completely transparent.

Ideal World's club sounds dodgy to me and the sort of thing that should be reported to Action Fraud. However I'm not a lawyer and this shady, immoral behaviour may be technically legal.

Merryone, glad you sussed it in time!

I'm not a lawyer but I wonder if this is legal. I've had a quick look online.

Companies are allowed to store your card details as long as they are not misused. In my opinion this is misuse as they don't make it clear what the club is (or even that you are signing up to a club) and the default position is, unless you contact them, you are automatically enrolled and your card used to pay for it.

That in itself doesn't sound right - it's not like a membership on direct debit which automatically renews unless you cancel. That would be something you had actively signed up to. I'm a member of bothcthe National Gallery and Historic Royal Palaces and both send an email about a month before the year is up informing me what date they will take their money if I don't cancel. Completely transparent.

Ideal World's club sounds dodgy to me and the sort of thing that should be reported to Action Fraud. However I'm not a lawyer and this shady, immoral behaviour may be technically legal.

Merryone, glad you sussed it in time!
Exactly this! My direct debits are all things I have signed up for. Even those free trials that are advertised online, for example the geneaglogy ones, you fill in your details and then they ask you to fill in your card details (This is the point I usually decide not to go any further) so that if you decide or forget to cancel within the 14 day deadline, then your money is taken. This at least is upfront and honest - You've chosen to look at something because you're interested in first place, and secondly you are aware you are leaving your card details and for what purpose. This is more dangerous than a normal cold call, 'cause at least they will only have your card details if you give it to them - Most people don't, they simply hang up and that's the end of it. This is coming from a company that the customer presumably trusts and I'm sure it has lead to a lot of people inadvertently accepting the offer, thinking it won't hurt to have a look, and possibly not realising that if you don't act within 21 days, then they'll take your money. Personally it would be a lot better if they simply popped a leaflet in with your order, which details everything this package has to offer and allow the customer to decide from there whether or not they wish to sign up for it, or give it a trial. It would also be better if they asked for your card details again so the customer gets more awareness and it also give them the opportunity to decide which card they wish to use. This is sharp practice and really needs to stop, at least in its current form.

I still haven't received those blessed t-shirts...however, something tells me that had I agreed to the "free gift" then that would've reached me the next day. I will however, be watching the post just in case they do send me one anyway. I was pretty vehement on the phone that I wasn't interested but it is a worry I could do without. Note to IW, if you want to send a free gift to your customers, it needs to be exactly that and have no strings attached. We moan about QVC's ungenerous vouchers they email us with from time to time - but there's a big difference between ungenerous and disingenuous!

The only time I’ve ever had an issue with an order, I emailed them via [email protected]

They replied very quickly, unlike QVC who take ages, and the issue was sorted straightaway. As I mentioned before, I have never rung them up.

Exactly this! My direct debits are all things I have signed up for. Even those free trials that are advertised online, for example the geneaglogy ones, you fill in your details and then they ask you to fill in your card details (This is the point I usually decide not to go any further) so that if you decide or forget to cancel within the 14 day deadline, then your money is taken. This at least is upfront and honest - You've chosen to look at something because you're interested in first place, and secondly you are aware you are leaving your card details and for what purpose. This is more dangerous than a normal cold call, 'cause at least they will only have your card details if you give it to them - Most people don't, they simply hang up and that's the end of it. This is coming from a company that the customer presumably trusts and I'm sure it has lead to a lot of people inadvertently accepting the offer, thinking it won't hurt to have a look, and possibly not realising that if you don't act within 21 days, then they'll take your money. Personally it would be a lot better if they simply popped a leaflet in with your order, which details everything this package has to offer and allow the customer to decide from there whether or not they wish to sign up for it, or give it a trial. It would also be better if they asked for your card details again so the customer gets more awareness and it also give them the opportunity to decide which card they wish to use. This is sharp practice and really needs to stop, at least in its current form.
We've sometimes taken advantage of Amazon when they offer 30 day free Prime trial and then cancel as you still get the 30 days. Amazon are very good in notifying you that your trial period is coming to an end but we do it as soon as possible after signing up. I did forget once and when I checked my cc there was £7.99 in pending. We cancelled and the money was refunded. I am just thankful that we have the banking app on our phones so we can keep a check on things daily in my case.

I used to get the phone calls and always said no. Since I have been using PayPal I haven't had any. Although when I was dithering over which sandals I wanted, I got a phone call asking me if I was having a problem placing my orders. I was quite annoyed. Couldn't believe I was being watched just looking at some cheap sandals. I expect that's cookies for you.
As it happened I did order a pair of lovely sandals for a fiver and free P&P, was surprised how nice and comfy they were for that price.

Most of the adverts on here for me are TORCHES (I assume others are not getting torch ads).

BTW I have avoided spending a fortune in the current sale because they had run out of the free gift they send with your order !

I finally received the t-shirts this evening , or should I say dish rags! I don’t think I’ve ever seen such poor quality ever. I don’t know what I was expecting as they were so cheap. I guess I was hoping for cheap and cheerful. To be able to see daylight through a black t shirt is no mean feat, as for the white one , it was practically transparent, they were creased, out of shape and I put one on for a laugh and it was really tight and clingy and obviously completely see through. Sadly the two Asda branches here would involve a bus ride so might as well pay the postage, not worth getting oh to waste petrol. Though I could probably pick up a couple of decent T-shirts there. Anyway-goodbye IW and good riddance, they’re not even entertaining to watch any more- watch being the operative word, as that’s all they seem to sell these days!

I finally received the t-shirts this evening , or should I say dish rags! I don’t think I’ve ever seen such poor quality ever. I don’t know what I was expecting as they were so cheap. I guess I was hoping for cheap and cheerful. To be able to see daylight through a black t shirt is no mean feat, as for the white one , it was practically transparent, they were creased, out of shape and I put one on for a laugh and it was really tight and clingy and obviously completely see through. Sadly the two Asda branches here would involve a bus ride so might as well pay the postage, not worth getting oh to waste petrol. Though I could probably pick up a couple of decent T-shirts there. Anyway-goodbye IW and good riddance, they’re not even entertaining to watch any more- watch being the operative word, as that’s all they seem to sell these days!
That’s a real shame, merryone. 😕

I’ve bought quite a few tops from IW (although they weren’t t-shirts,) trousers and dresses and shoes and I’ve never had to send any back nor have they been of poor quality.

The latest item that I ordered was their Maybelline makeup set and all of the items are ones that I will use.

I do pick and choose what programmes I watch though and agree that many of the shows are boring, as those on QVC (in my opinion.)

I got a good T-shirt as a free gift from my torch supplier - - that's how they reel you in ;)

Their FB page is very active, with loads of simple competitions for prizes, often torches. They even have a daily spinny wheel during their monthly sales with some expensive prizes. Some of the torch prizes are over £100. See pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1632).png
    Screenshot (1632).png
    61 KB · Views: 44
Merryone, do you have a branch of Peacocks near you? I visited a couple of months ago as I've just got a Blue Light Card that gives me discounts. I get 20% off in there so had a look. They had very nice t-shirts, I bought 2 v-neck at £7 each, one mint green and one white with black spots. The cotton is excellent quality, not see through, and they're well made. Quite generous in their sizing - I'm a 16-18, bought 16 and it was comfortably loose but not baggy. Bought a few bits since then and I hope the offer continues! Might be worth a look if you have a branch near you.

Merryone, do you have a branch of Peacocks near you? I visited a couple of months ago as I've just got a Blue Light Card that gives me discounts. I get 20% off in there so had a look. They had very nice t-shirts, I bought 2 v-neck at £7 each, one mint green and one white with black spots. The cotton is excellent quality, not see through, and they're well made. Quite generous in their sizing - I'm a 16-18, bought 16 and it was comfortably loose but not baggy. Bought a few bits since then and I hope the offer continues! Might be worth a look if you have a branch near you.
Ooh hubby has a Blue Light Card,didn't know they could be used at Peacocks.
We went to see Swan Lake a few weeks ago with brother in law and his wife and had a meal at Bella Italia first. We got 25% off the whole bill and that was more than it cost him.

Ooh hubby has a Blue Light Card,didn't know they could be used at Peacocks.
We went to see Swan Lake a few weeks ago with brother in law and his wife and had a meal at Bella Italia first. We got 25% off the whole bill and that was more than it cost him.
What is a blue light card, and who can get them?

Latest posts

Back