Jewellery forever - huh! fat chance

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lizdelassa

Registered Shopper
Don't cha just hate it when you're told that an item is going to last not only your lifetime but also your children and grandchildren's and then you find just after a year, no, in fact just after the year guarantee runs out, the item breaks, and when you try to get QVC to acknowledge this they tell you that you need to go to the manufacturer because they will not replace/refund it, You reluctantly agree to do this as you realise this is the only way you will possibly get things sorted but then you get told they do not have the details of the manufacturer so you will need to beg customer services to replace the item (or refund it) but then you click - what's the point - they have already told you they can't do a thing about it anyway.
Not only that, you also explain that one of a pair of the earrings they have sold you which was secured in the ear with a leverback fastening for extra security has come out and been lost and cs tells you they can do nothing about it because you don't have the earring and even when you explain this is why you know it was faulty because the secure fastening was obviously NOT secure they basically say TOUGH. :headbang: :taphead: :down:

What's a girl to do? Any advice welcome.:angry:

Don't cha just hate it when you're told that an item is going to last not only your lifetime but also your children and grandchildren's and then you find just after a year, no, in fact just after the year guarantee runs out, the item breaks, and when you try to get QVC to acknowledge this they tell you that you need to go to the manufacturer because they will not replace/refund it, You reluctantly agree to do this as you realise this is the only way you will possibly get things sorted but then you get told they do not have the details of the manufacturer so you will need to beg customer services to replace the item (or refund it) but then you click - what's the point - they have already told you they can't do a thing about it anyway.
Not only that, you also explain that one of a pair of the earrings they have sold you which was secured in the ear with a leverback fastening for extra security has come out and been lost and cs tells you they can do nothing about it because you don't have the earring and even when you explain this is why you know it was faulty because the secure fastening was obviously NOT secure they basically say TOUGH. :headbang: :taphead: :down:

What's a girl to do? Any advice welcome.:angry:

Threaten them with trading standards. If that's what they said when they were selling it to you, then they should stand by their word.

Hi lizdelassa!
I would agree with Maria's suggestion....also, I would write in to QVC with your problem. Sometimes it is luck of the draw if you get a helpful or particularly unhelpful person on the phone and often it appears that a written letter carries more weight. Good luck and I hope it all gets resolved for you quickly and happily...

It can also depend on how expensive the item was. There is a test of "reasonableness" that trading standard apply to items - it's considered reasonable that something cheap and cheerful will not last but unreasonable if the item was expensive and would generally be something that should last a lot longer. Despite that, I doubt you'll get far sadly. We had a similar problem here with a Joan Rivers bracelet and they just didn't want to know.

I have had the same problem

When Viva Las Vegas jewellery was at its peak several years ago, I bough a white gold ring pave set with blue Ceylon sapphires, which over the course of a couple of years I wore not more than half a dozen times. The next time I went to wear it, I realised one of the stones were missing. I got in touch with QVC but because I didn't have the item no. (what, after 2 years ?????) they couldn't help me.

I roughly knew when it was purchased and asked that they check back through my file to find the details. They said THIS COULD TAKE 2 WEEKS !!!!! I said ok, do it. I then lost count of the number of times I called them to check on progress, needless to say it was to no avail.

I still have a ring that cannot be stone matched at the jewellers, and QVC dont want to know. Short of having it melted down, it sits unworn in my jewellery box.

Another question. Why do local jewellers HATE qvc ? when I have wanted ring size changes or valuations, they become very sniffy in dealing with me.

Thanks to all for your responses. It's reassuring to know that it's not only me going through this but sad to know that others are, especially when it could be avoided.
I will be writing in that's for sure.
There was another thread where a discussion on shop snobbery at QVC jewellery was raised, must've been a month or so ago, can't remember what the thread was called but some people thought it was jealousy because of the amount of sales QVC had in relation to them, I remember what it was l ike when Argos first came out, the same thing. However QVC must be doing quite well in the popularity stakes they have a slot on ITV Nighttime. I bet the presenters never realised they's get a second chance at mainstream TV, all their Christmas in July's coming at once.
A choice for me between QVC and H Samuel and I'd pick QVC every time I think H Samuel is awful, they charge the earth for valuations and watch repairs, that's if they can be bothered to do them.
Ernest Jones are complete snobs , my partner bought me a ruby/diamond ring there years ago and I remember the face of the guy who sold it to us when he saw what we were wearing - it didn't matter that he did his banking in the Post office where I worked so I gave him the same condescending treatment.
The thing with QVC and this is why I buy, is that I like the unusual, the generally reasonably priced and the fact it's armchair buying, as before this means I am likely to be writing in again complaining of my jewellery being less than perfect. :confused:

I have had the same problem

When Viva Las Vegas jewellery was at its peak several years ago, I bough a white gold ring pave set with blue Ceylon sapphires, which over the course of a couple of years I wore not more than half a dozen times. The next time I went to wear it, I realised one of the stones were missing. I got in touch with QVC but because I didn't have the item no. (what, after 2 years ?????) they couldn't help me.

I roughly knew when it was purchased and asked that they check back through my file to find the details. They said THIS COULD TAKE 2 WEEKS !!!!! I said ok, do it. I then lost count of the number of times I called them to check on progress, needless to say it was to no avail.

I still have a ring that cannot be stone matched at the jewellers, and QVC dont want to know. Short of having it melted down, it sits unworn in my jewellery box.

Another question. Why do local jewellers HATE qvc ? when I have wanted ring size changes or valuations, they become very sniffy in dealing with me.

It's jealousy, plain and simple - they don't like the fact that you bought your jewllery from a retailer other than themselves. Which is bullsh*t really because regardless of where the item was purchased originally, the jeweller in question still gets paid for the service they've provided to you. A point I've made very clear to my local jewellers in the past, having been sneered at for requesting several QVC rings to be re-sized - I even got one snottybreeches saying to me "And you couldn't have bought it in your own size then(?!)".

bought the rose ring in pink quartz and was shocked how the rose was glued on a cheap flimsy shank.

rose fell off after one days use.

so much for qvc quality control.:doh:

Latest posts

Back