Kindle

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

nailprincess

Registered Shopper
I got a new kindle for Christmas and now want to sell my old one (it isn't very old nearly a year). Is it really as simple as just de registering my old kindle from my Amazon account before selling it?

TIA

NP

yes, you can deregister it or use 'default to factory settings' - that normally wipes the kindle clean and you can check that this has happened by checking on 'manage my kindle' on your amazon account. The buyer cannot then access your account / books.

The buyer of your old Kindle will need to log in to his /her own Amazon account and click "Register a New Kindle." He / she will need to enter the serial number found in the Kindle's settings menu and then click "Register."

I have some birthday money left and my husband has suggested I may like a Kindle to help ease the drudgery of my longcommute on public transport. I am hoping you can help me choose from the various models. I want to just read books, nothing fancy like research notes, touch screen is fine with easy page turning and bookmarking. I want it to fit in my handbag with a nice leather case.

Which one do you reccommend?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

The Kindle at £69 would do you fine WG, it is easy to turn pages, if you switch off it comes back on where you were. It is not touchscreen but all the buttons do all you need.

Well, Weathergirl, I bought the Kindle keyboard, and then the Kindle Fire when it was released last October.

Although I really love the original Kindle, I wholeheartedly recommend the Kindle Fire.
Of course you can read books on it, but mine also holds music, films, photos, documents, games, and loads more. I have a dongle from 3 [£5.25 a month] which provides about 100 hours a month of internet time, so you can browse the net and write emails even if you're stuck miles from home.

In all honesty, when I bought the Kindle Fire, I thought it might end up in a drawer after a couple of weeks, but quite the opposite - I use it every single day and wouldn't be without it. I often do long commutes, too, and just being able to chill out with a pair of headphones and a good book when the train breaks down [again] saves your sanity!

Oh - and I'd suggest looking for cases on eBay - the ones on Amazon are identical, just shockingly overpriced.

The trouble with the Kindle Fire HD is that it is heavy and you cannot read it outdoors or where there are bright lights. The battery needs charging almost every day. I had one and returned it and bought the £69 Kindle (though I bought it on special offer for £59). I love it. It is light and easy to use. The battery lasts at least a week even with the wireless permanently on. I charge it using my HTC wildfire charger rather than the USB charger cable it came with as the HTC cable charges it faster. I have downloaded loads of free books as I get a daily email of free books. I store it in a cheap purple leather case that cost £1.99 on ebay and looks surprisingly smart.

The trouble with the Kindle Fire HD is that it is heavy and you cannot read it outdoors or where there are bright lights. The battery needs charging almost every day. I had one and returned it and bought the £69 Kindle (though I bought it on special offer for £59). I love it. It is light and easy to use. The battery lasts at least a week even with the wireless permanently on. I charge it using my HTC wildfire charger rather than the USB charger cable it came with as the HTC cable charges it faster. I have downloaded loads of free books as I get a daily email of free books. I store it in a cheap purple leather case that cost £1.99 on ebay and looks surprisingly smart.

I love my Kindle for the same reasons, light, good battery life and not being back lit so you can read in the sun etc....

I do agree about the original Kindle being easier to read in the sun, but if you turn the brightness down on the Kindle Fire it helps a lot. A non-reflective screen film protective thingy helps, too.

I have a samsung galaxy S3 phone which has my music and photos on and for the stuff I do online (shopping and this forum, a bit of emailing) it's enough. Battery life not so good but I think for reading books I need something else. I was always a fan of a proper book but found them a pain to carry and I can't read them in the dark when my husband is asleep and I have been up with one or other of the children and just want to read something to help me drift off again. I like the sound of wifi, don't need 3g and as I have got so used to touch screen I think if I can get a good deal on a kindle touch that might be the one, as I see they are smaller than the keypad ones.

I was wondering what is paperlight? Is it different from the kindle touch?

Thanks for the ebay tip re the cases. I will register my nectar card on ebay and use my coupon for 500 extra points (we are saving our points for next christmas!)

I have a kindle touch and am very pleased with it, I think the paperwhite has more of a white screen and I think you can read it in the dark,but don't quote me on that, I would have a look at the reviews and see what appeals most x

paperwhite not paperlight sorry! I will keep researching I don't want to rush this purchase as I want to get a lot of use out of it. Reading in the dark is very high on the list.

Audio books are a good way of drifting off as well. You can have them on your kindle as well as phone and iPad.

I liked the audio books I had on my iphone before I upgraded. trouble was the choice available seemed so limited.Maybe it has improved? I had a couple of novels and "the God Delusion" which was much more interesting to listen to than it was to read in places. My taste in books is so random and I get curious about lots of stuff (a catholic fascinated by Darwin lol!) but another reason for the kindle- you can keep what you are reading secret in public so you don't get scowled at by disapproving fellow travellers!

I subscribe to Audio and download 2 new ones each month as part of my package . They are part of Amazon which is why you can put them on your phone, pad and kindle. I have far too many Weathergirl!

paperwhite not paperlight sorry! I will keep researching I don't want to rush this purchase as I want to get a lot of use out of it. Reading in the dark is very high on the list.

The £69 Kindle is not for reading in dark.

I need to get a kindle for my daughter later this year when she goes off to university, any advice on which model to get would be appreciated.

Hi Rubyslippers! I have now chosen and ordered mine! Read the reviews on Amazon about the Kindle Touch and the Kindle Paperwhite. I found them invaluable in making my choice.

Also factor in the cost of a case and a plug charger as they have to be bought seperately.

For a student the additional features of a Kindle touch might be a good idea but not for a person who just wants to read books. I also looked beyond gimmicks like xray and asked myself "will I really use that". The answer was no. Then I thought that wifi alone was good enough for me. I can wait until I get home to download a book so the extra 60 quid for 3 G was not justified.

The most important thing for me was to read in the dark so the paperwhite won. I got a non- amazo leather case for a fraction of the cost and a plug off"warehouse deals" again with a big discount. All together the total was less than the cheaper kindle touch due to the excessive cost of the case.

So decide what features your daughter needs and will use, consider the cost of the extras and it should make it easier.

Latest posts

Back