L’Occitane buying out Elemis

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

L'occitane is buying elemis

...for £700 million. They say they've long admired the brand. Why do I feel uneasy about this? Is it because a good british brand is crossing the pond? I don't particularly rate l'occitane. They have lovely shops and a great marketing programme. How to make a fortune from a load of soap and hand cream is clever. I like a lot more about elemis than i do l'occitane. The products feel genuinely luxurious. I hope they don't mess with the brand. Wonder if qvc will even mention it.

Another brand snapped up by a predatory company and will be sold in China - time to cross Elemis off the cruelty free list I fear.

This is not good news, hope they don't do an Estee Lauder type hatchet job on the products.
I don't like L'Occitane products.

When it all comes down to the bottom line, money talks the loudest, and product quality goes out the window.

Probably means more of snooty Alexis squirting creams onto the back of her hand and lathering her hands in a glass bowl. Still I suppose she's better than that Keeley who gets on my tits!

This is not good news, hope they don't do an Estee Lauder type hatchet job on the products.
I don't like L'Occitane products.

When it all comes down to the bottom line, money talks the loudest, and product quality goes out the window.

No I don't like L'Occitane either, I tried the hand cream Alexis was banging on about how there's one sold every three seconds but failed to say one gets returned every four seconds. I bought this and honestly it's absolutely gorgeous. https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/pp/eli...n_GB%2f%24s%3dhand_cream&fh_sort=-hasimage_iw I love Elizabeth Grants products and always buy the Pick Of The Day from Ideal World, thing is though the brand is sold on QVC Germany, France and Italy but wont sell in China, will Elemis be able to say the same after they're bought out? Elizabeth Grants staunchly against animal testing which gets them massive Kudos from me, and they've also stated they'll never leave Ideal World to go to QVCuk phew!

Not happy. I am very keen on cruelty free products too and Elemis are pretty good on this. I stopped using L’Occitane a while ago because they sell in China where foreign products must be tested by law. The laws in China are changing but I am not impressed by L’Occitane putting profit before ethics. I will wait and see how this effects Elemis.

We'll likely get more of the waffle and piffle from both Keeley and Alexis- or Keelexis now they've combined!!

Not happy. I am very keen on cruelty free products too and Elemis are pretty good on this. I stopped using L’Occitane a while ago because they sell in China where foreign products must be tested by law. The laws in China are changing but I am not impressed by L’Occitane putting profit before ethics. I will wait and see how this effects Elemis.

If they are totally cruelty free, why don't they have leaping Bunny?

They will keep both companies as separate entities as Alexis is not a trained salon and has never been on the air doing the models treatments. Actually cannot imagine her doing them.

Estee Lauder bought Bobbi Brown and Aveda and they are still kept as their own identities. Shiseido bought Bare Minerals and they still have their own identities you never see Shiseido/Bare Minerals on QVC or any counters. Liz Earle was bought by Avon then Boots/Walgreens you never saw them mixed always treated LE as its own company. Elemis is getting bigger in the US so I imagine L'Occitane wanted a bigger market share there.

I am really amazed by this. I can hardly believe that Loccitane can afford it, for a start. Didn't they once have to be rescued themselves by some famous French skier? I saw in those articles yesterday that their sales are $1.4bn per year but that is not profit, is it? Can't remember the profit figure now, but Loccitane have a whole global branch network (I was pleased to see when on holiday in Aruba!) to support. We even have one in Putney!

I also read what one of the articles laughably called their global brand portfolio. Has anyone ever heard of any of these? Not exactly a success story to reassure Elemis is it?

Very, very odd IMHO

If they are totally cruelty free, why don't they have leaping Bunny?

It's the same with SBC, when I questioned it with SBC why they didn't have the bunny they stated you have to register and pay for the bunny, and because they're bringing out new products all the time it wouldn't be cost effective, but I could rest assured they definitely don't test on animals. Thing is though, if they sell in QVC China wether they're against animal testing or not, or their parent company tests on animals, or their parent company don't test but sell in China, they wouldn't qualify for the bunny anyway.

Here in Belfast, we have loads of cruise ships coming in and most of them have Chinese tourists. They spend BIG MONEY and I mean BIG MONEY, they want the brands they cannot get in China or are 3 times the price to buy at home. They hit LUSH and wipe the shelves, we had a new LUSH store open last summer and I was told it is the second biggest LUSH store in the UK only the London one is bigger. Because of the Chinese tourists buying every week, the ships arrived here. Someone I know who works for YSL calls them the Chinese Mafia because they arrive and buy up every new product on the shelves. I once went in to look at a new shade of lipstick and was told too late the Chinese Mafia got in first and bought every last one of the limited edition shade.
You see them taking photos of cosmetics and then talking on their mobiles no doubt asking if that is the one whoever wants.

People tend to forget Elemis was owned by an American company never mentioned in advertising etc. Same with Molton Brown stilled call British but owned by a Japanese company must be 10 years, Penhaligon still called British but owned by a US company. Emma Hardie last year sold part of the company to an investment company though she still has the majority shares. I know someone who works for the brand and she just said Emma wanted to develop new products and that costs big money so it was sensible to do this. Since then Emma Hardie has brought a number of new products. I love the new face masks Renewal and the Pink Clay ones.

Sorry to be very dim but what does it matter if a company sells their products in China?

China insists brands selling there allow them to do their own testing which is usually done on animals. Even if the brand themselves don`t test on animals if they want to sell their products in China then they have to agree to it.

Latest posts

Back